Compassion

Evanesce

Kim Wonshik looked down at the man sleeping on his chest. His fingertips caressed the redhead's hair as he watched the peaceful look on the man's face. Sweat lingered on their skin and the sight of Hakyeon beneath him, the sound of his beautiful voice, echoed in his head. It had been years and still, being with Hakyeon came easily. Their bodies seemed made for each other, like he had always felt to be so, as though they were born for one another.

Guilt nagged at him, twisting his stomach as he traced the small marks his nails had left on the tan man's delicate skin, the hickies he had left along his neck and shoulders... He knew that Hakyeon would regret what they had done, would resent him for taking advantage of his vulnerability, but in the moment he had just wanted to show the person he loved that he meant so much more than he was being shown. Wonshik needed him to know that he deserved more than Taekwoon was giving him.

A cough shook the body he held close and Wonshik patted the man's back gently until it passed. Kissing the top of his companion's head, he moved Hakyeon softly onto his back, slipping out of bed. A groan from the smaller man made his heart skip a beat.

"Where are you going?" Hakyeon's voice was small and vulnerable and it hurt to hear the man he had always known to be self assured sounding like a beaten child. Turning, he captured the other's lips with his own, fingers tangling slightly in the gorgeous man's red hair.

"I promise I am not leaving you." He murmured against his companion's lips. "I promise." The other man sank back against the pillows, calmed by his reassurance, and Wonshik returned to his quest at hand. He was going to do everything the other man deserved, everything Taekwoon wasn't willing to do for him.

~~~

Cha Hakyeon felt himself slipping in and out of consciousness, the bed growing cold beside him. The longer Wonshik was away from him, the more his skin began to crawl, his mind on overdrive as he thought of what he had done to Taekwoon. Cheating had never been something he could condone in other people, let alone himself. To know that he had crossed that line, that he had done such an unforgivable thing to the man he loved, caused his chest to ache. Tears were falling from his cheeks, his body curled into a tight ball, before Wonshik made it back to him.

"Hakyeon..." The blonde's voice was soft, his touch gentle, as he tried to calm down the shaking man. Hakyeon hated himself for needing him, for needing anyone that wasn't Taekwoon. Despite his own self loathing, he found himself succumbing to Wonshik's warmth.

"I... Why do you stay?" He looked up as the blonde crawled into bed beside him, a jar of vapor rub and a damp cloth in his hands.

"I could ask you the same thing and I think our answers would be the same." Wonshik opened the jar, applying the cold cream to Hakyeon's chest. "I stay because I love you. Because I can't imagine a happy life with anyone else." Against his better judgement, their lips met in one of the breathtaking kisses Wonshik was best at, the kind that left his body tingling everywhere they made contact.

"Wonshik..." His voice was hushed as they parted ways and the blonde man merely smiled before gently cleansing Hakyeon's skin with the warm rag. Mind wandering, Hakyeon found himself wondering if Taekwoon had ever bothered to do such kind things for him.

"There we go." The other man kissed his forehead and Hakyeon melted into his embrace, resting his head against his shoulder. A familiar song rang through the air and it took a moment for him to recognize it as a ringtone. Diving for his phone, Hakyeon nearly crashed to the floor, Wonshik's arms around his waist being the only thing to stop him. Finally, breathless, he answered the call.

~~~

Jung Taekwoon almost hung up before a breathless voice answered his call. Worry threatened to overwhelm him. Had Hakyeon's illness gotten worse? Maybe he needed a hospital? Regret nagged at him, eating away at his soul for abandoning the person he loved at a time when he was most needed.

"Are you okay?" Silently he cursed himself for the way his voice wavered. "Tell Wonshik to take you to see a doctor!"

"Taekwoon, I'm fine. I was asleep and had to race to answer your call." Hakyeon sounded distant, reminding Taekwoon of their fight before he left.

"Look. Hakyeon... When I get back lets-" Taekwoon paused as his hotel room door opened, his boss stepping inside to go over their plans for their business meeting the next morning. "I have to go. I'll check in on you later."

"Taekwoon. I love..." The hesitation in his lover's voice ripped at his heart and he held his breath, waiting, praying, for the tan man to finish his sentence. "Yeah. Okay. I'll be here. Bye." The line went dead before he could reply. Never before had Hakyeon failed to express his affections to him. He was losing the only person that meant anything to him. With a sinking feeling deep on the pit of his stomach, he slipped his phone into his pocket, returning to work.