Scene 11: In which Tao is stung by Jellyfish

EXO Journal: A Voyage through the Galaxy

Kai drops a sopping wet and sobbing Tao on the couch, his wet clothes immediately soaking the fabric. Sure that the Legend isn't going to faint, he runs off to find Suho and Lay, returning moments later with the worried leader and pack healer.

Suho (to Kai): What happened? Say something!!!

Kai silently points at Tao, who has angry red marks all over his body, and his eyes seem more swollen than usual. Suho feels a jolt of panic go through him and rushes to the cub's side.

Suho: Tao? What happened?

Tao: Ighgkhdartkljjwoolenfa!!!

Kai: He says he can't talk because his tongue is swollen!

Suho (rounding on him): What happened?

Kai (shrugging): He got stung by jellyfish.

Suho (rolling his sleeves and taking out a tongue-depressor out of his pocket): How?

Kai (handing him the penlight Lay provided): His class was out for a field trip to the --- river and apparently, he stepped right on top of a bloom.

Suho (flashing the light and checking Tao's throat): How did jellyfish end up in a river? Aren't they marine?

Kai shrugs nonchalantly, then starts swinging his arms awkwardly before leaning against Lay and closing his eyes. Lay pats his head, humming softly and carding the fingers of his other hand through Tao's hair. The cub looks at him with tearful, puffy eyes and Lay smiles gently, reassuring him that he'd be alright.

Suho (still busy examining Tao, now poking at his swollen nostrils): How did you get there?

Kai (mumbling sleepily): His teacher called because he kept calling for you and wouldn't let anyone else come near him.

Suho nods, then gestures at Lay to take a look as well. Lay pats Kai's head again and kneels before Tao, holding both of his hands. They look like they've been stung all over.

Suho (pocketing the light and depressor): I think it’s an allergic reaction… though I don’t think Tao is allergic to anything. It can't be jellyfish, really.

Lay (eyeing the stings closely): They certainly look like it.

Suho (disbelievingly): But how?

Lay (shrugging): Who knows? (To Tao): You'll feel sleepy after this, so just change and go to sleep, okay?

Tao nods tearfully, more shaken than anything else. He gives Lay a brave smile.

Tao: Oukhaayie! Thaaualflakjyouaelgh!

Kai: He's saying Okay! Thank you!

Suho eyes the cub questioningly. Kai shrugs again before closing his eyes and dozing off. He's now leaning against Suho.

Lay, meanwhile, is concentrating on healing the cub, his eyes focused, brows just the tiniest bit furrowed. The redness starts fading from Tao's body, the swelling going down immediately and then, Lay withdraws his hand.

Lay (wiping his fingers with a napkin): There. Done.

Tao, overwhelmed with gratitude, slumps onto Lay's shoulder and squeezes the breath out of him.

Tao (sobbing): I thought I was going to die!!!

Lay pats his head soothingly, Suho pats his shoulders and Kai lets out a soft snore. Then Tao insists Suho help him change and drags the leader away, so Kai is unceremoniously thrown against the wall, where he leans, comfortably asleep. Lay eyes him carefully, then heals him as well. Just in case. Kai's breath evens out and he slumps until he's on the floor. Sighing, Lay stoops and helps him up, carrying him off to bed as well.

Suho emerges from Tao's room, all wet and looking tired.

Suho (to Lay): He's too heavy for me to carry now.

Lay nods.

Suho: So… where do you think the jellyfish came from?

Lay: Who knows?

Tao's entry that night:

Dear diary

I was just thinking I wanted to see jellyfish and today, I got to see them. Up close and personal. They sting really badly, even if they are pretty to look at. I was confused at first though – how did jellyfish end up in the river? So I looked it up and I guess freshwater jellyfish do exist. Craspedacusta Sowerbii – that's an impressive name, right? Well, they belong to the Phylum Cnidarea and are also called hydrozones or hydromedusan jellyfish. Originated from Yang Tze, China but are an invasive species found throughout the world in bodies of freshwater. Get this, they have up to 400 tentacles. Like wow, really! No wonder I was so stung up! Anyway, these cnidocytes have small cells called nematocysts or cnidocysts, and they use them to capture prey.

I never thought I'd find out that I'm allergic to anything – I have a good constitution, thank goodness – but turns out that I am allergic to jellyfish stings. Because other than the regular pain and itching and stuff, my tongue was really swollen and my eyes had puffed up and that only happens when you're allergic. Ah well, I guess I can write an excellent report about my educational trip and how I got stung by jellyfish. I'm glad we have Lay or who knows if I would've survived? It’s a little scary, now that I think about it… no wonder I was panicking. Geez, that was creepy. Okay, so not going anywhere near jellyfish again.

Oh, this reminds me – I must thank Kai for carrying me here. And Lay… for healing me. And… Suho? He helped me change. But he's my mom. Do we thank moms for doing what they ought to? I'll ask Lay, I guess.

Oh well, I'll see you later then. Bye bye.