A-W-K-W-A-R-D !

The Nerd and the Nutcase (A Series of Unexpected Events)

Everybody was shocked when they saw Junhoe and me walking into the classroom. Maybe for the fact that we were holding hands. They are shocked maybe because he was holding my hand, or maybe because I was not complaining while he was holding mine. Some eyes rolled. Especially Stacie's. Everybody knows how much she admires him though he's mean. Some shook their heads. Some giggled, including Blaire and Kirsten.

"So.." they crossed their arms while walking towards us. "What's with that holding hands thingy?" Blaire asked.

"Just when? How?" Kirsten added excitedly.

"Last night." I replied. "By the way, he is Mystery Guy." Their eyes swelled more.

 Junhoe and I exchanged glances. Maybe because we, ourselves also got surprised of what happened. Just out of the blue did Donghyuk appeared. He looked at Junhoe. Then to me. And then, to our hands. He looked at me again. Now more sorrowfully. I saw the sadness in his eyes. But I don't know why. Then he turned his back and left. That was the last time I saw him in school.

 It has been a week since he last went to school. And it feels awkward not seeing him there, yet assuming if I think it was because of my relationship with Junhoe. I hate this gut feeling, but I'm very worried of him.  All I think of is the look in his eyes when he saw us holding hands. That hurt. I felt it.

 I ended up in a decision. I will be visiting him later after school. I need to know the reason behind this.

 "I'll go to Donghyuk's place later," I told Junhoe while he was driving. "It's been a week that he hasn't gone to school, and.."

 "And as his bestfriend, you need to put your mind at ease about his well-being," he finished the sentence for me. "I totally understand it Baby, I swear. I know how much you were connected. You even looked like sweethearts before!" he laughed at the thought.

 You bet. And I liked that misinterpretation. I told myself. I shook my head. No way am I thinking about it again. I have Junhoe right now. I am happy with him. Hell I am.

He stopped the car on our lot. "I'll be picking you up at six in the morning tomorrow. Six in the morning sharp." he said while I was getting out of his car, kissing me on my forehead.

I saluted. " Roger that,Sir" then winked at him.

 "Silly lady," he shook his head. "I love you."

 "I-I-I like you too." . When am I going to tell that to him?

 He shook his head lightly. He seemed satisfied of my reply. He waved goodbye then turned his engine on and left.

 I in air before heading to the Kims' doorstep. I knocked twice. It was Mrs. Kim  who got the door.

 " Oh, Darlene. Long time no see." she said, smiling.

 " Good evening Mrs. Kim. Is he there?"

She looked upstairs. "Yes, he's not going out of his room these past few days. He seldom eats. I'm worried about him."

 "Can I try talking to him?" I asked.

She nodded and patted my shoulder. She accompanied me to his room. I in air again before knocking.

 "Donghyuk, it's me. Darlene"

 I waited for a while, until I heard him unlocking his door. He peeked outside. He looked thinner, and paler than usual. The guilt struck me again.

 "What are you doing here?" he asked, brows crossed.

 " I just wanted to make sure if you're fine." I sighed. 

 " I don't need your pity. " he snapped. "And besides, you have been long ignoring me right?! So why go here?"

  It made my tears fall. "You were the first to ignore me Donghyuk! And you started hanging out with Jean! But I never talked to you like that." I in air again. "I shouldn't have went here. I shouldn't have talked to you. I shouldn't have worried about you. You're such a jerk!"

 I turned my back to leave when suddenly,  he pulled me and embraced from behind. 

  "I was jealous ever since you and Junhoe became close, ever since that Mystery Guy came out, since you gave Junhoe a chance. But I can't tell you my feelings. I can't say don't. I can't tell you how much you meant to me. I can't tell you I can do more than him, I can't. I need you Darlene. I need you so much." he sobbed.

 "But you never showed anything. You ended up hurting me. You made me fall for another person. You made me forget you. You hurted me a lot Donghyuk. There's nothing left. Nothing anymore. I should leave." And I continued walking, but crying hard. I wanted to tell him I needed him more. But I realized it would be selfish. And it would make Junhoe's world fall again.

 

-end-