Prologue

The Nerd and the Nutcase (A Series of Unexpected Events)

12:30 am. I am still 5 blocks away from our house. A shadow. A distant shadow is following me.

"Uh-oh. Not a burglar,please. Nor a drug addict. Even a serial !" I prayed to myself. Still the shadow is coming from behind. No way, he's wearing a damn bonnet! Then as the person shows itself out the dark, my heart is skipping fast. My hands become cold and I was shocked when I heard his voice. " Miss, are you okay?"

 

And I saw the mystery. POOF! He's not a burglar, nor a drug addict. Not even a serial . He's a damn handsome guy. Around 5 feet 8 inches in height, he has this strong built, and a fair complexion.

 

"Ah.. Ah..I'm perrrrfectly fine." I said nervously. He approached me. I saw his features more. He has this deep, dark brown eyes that would definitely caught you off-guard when you stare at, a smile that would take every girl's breath away. I was about to faint. But I still showed composure.

 

"Oh," he smiled, that smile again. "By the way, I'm Donghyuk." he reached out his hand.

"Uhm...Darlene..." I reached out and shook hands. For about 5 seconds, we were there just merely shaking our hands. And for a sudden moment, I realized that we were shaking hands for almost a minute! I looked at him with astonishment. This guy? This handsome guy is shockingly not letting go of my hand! I liked it for a time. But it's already 12:45 am. My mom would definitely kill me for this.

" Uhm," I took my hand away slowly."It's getting late. And I am definitely gonna be dead with Mom. Nice meeting you Donghyuk."

"But wait," he held my shoulder. "I'd be more than contented if you would let me you accompany there."

"But our house is about five blocks away."

"And ours is too."

I raised my eyebrow. "Are you kidding me?"

He shook his head. "Of course not, but I am your new neighbor's son." and he gave out that smile again.

That would be the last smile I'll be seeing, or else my knees would melt. Definitely, we have a new neighbor who just moved in yesterday. Mrs. Kim is a very sweet lady, she even brought us cookies. And Dr. Kim is also a respectable man. " So, you are the son of Mr. and Mrs. Kim?"

He nodded in reply. "So, are you accepting my invitation, Kim?" he asked.

That was the most beautiful pronunciation of my name. As if it a whisper, but modulated. Oh, I'm nuts.

I nodded involuntarily, my brain showed what I am thinking.

"Then great!" he said. He took hold of my hand and we walked to the streets.

 

Bayleaf is a village consisting of around of 13 streets. It is the biggest community in Dela Aisle. And definitely, not the safest. Gangsters and hoodlums come around in shadows when the night comes. And that is what I thought Donghyuk is, but now, he looks like Lee Min Ho beside me. Just like I dreamt of it. I giggled. He looked at me. 

"And why are you giggling?" he asked.

"Me? Nothing. I just thought you were a serial a while ago." I replied.

"What?!" he exclaimed. Then he laughed loudly. " A Serial ?!?"

I nodded shyly.

"I'm not that type of guy, Darlene. I just went to my aunt's house, and was walking home when I saw you. I thought it's not nice for girls like you to walk at this time of day. But I don't know how to approach you, so I followed you from behind. And because you saw me, I finally approached you." he explained.

I was embarrased. I hit my forehead with the heel of my hand. "Oh, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to."

"That's totally fine." he looked at me. "We better get going. It's really getting late." He held my hand tightly and ran.

 

After 15 more minutes, we finally reached our destination. 

"Thanks for accompanying me." I told him.

"At your service, 24/7." he winked.

I opened the gate and had the last look of him. A nerd with a handsome guy walking down the streets in the middle of the night?! Totally peculiar. I reached for my keys and opened the door. Then I tiptoed to the stairs. Good thing Mom wasn't awake. I changed my clothes and hopped on my bed. What a night. Then I fell asleep. With thoughts of that guy named Donghyuk.

 

-end of prologue-