THE UNEXPECTED TWIST OF FATE

The Nerd and the Nutcase (A Series of Unexpected Events)

"HELLO?" a sweet, mild voice answered my call.

"Blaire, it's me. Darlene." I sighed.

"Oh,"  Blaire's voice has a hint of surprise when she heard me. " You sound sad, what's wrong dear?"

"Donghyuk." I sighed again. I can't help but get sad. He has been COLD these past few days. Eversince those roses appeared on my desk everyday. Darn those roses."

"Yeah. Cold treatment. I also noticed that. He doesn't even tried to look at you, he even exchanged places with Gia." Blaire told me.

"He never stops at the house to pick me up. He doesn't even call, even a text message." I complained. " Much worse, he's hanging out with Jean."

"Jean? the Miss Pop?" Blaire said with a shocked tone.

"Yeah. The Cool Chick." 

" Ah, because Jean is the Cheeries Captain. And Jess is the Captain Ball.." Blaire did not dare try to finish her statement.

"But she's a brat. I hate her. I hated her since we were freshmen."

We were talking about Jean Kravitz. The Most Popular Girl in St. Andrew's. She's pretty, real puhhhreeeetty. She has this perfect auburn hair, fair skin and deep blue eyes, She has this sweet smile. But really, she's a brat. She hates seeing ugly things. She freaks out when she's not noticed. A pain in my head.

 

"Yeah, she's a brat. But still, she's pretty. And you know well how guys like pretty girls." I reminded her like I was reminding myself that mental note as well.

"But I don't think he's is one of those guys. He's very nice and a true gentleman. And I know he likes you."

I was in awe with what Blaire had just uttered. "You what? Donghyuk likes me? Very funny." I snorted.

"With just a look in somebody's eyes, you will see how much they like someone. And I see that with him." she said confidently. " And with Junhoe too. He likes you as well."

I blurted out a laugh with the last statement. "What?! How I wish with Donghyuk. But a big no-no with Junhoe. He hates everything about me!"

"How you wish with Donghyuk?" she teased me. 

" I.. I mean, you know, He's is the adorable kind of guy. Every girl would wish to be his girl. Junhoe is the complete contrast." I fumbled, but still made a valid excuse for it.

"I don't." Then she laughed. " But that was a lame excuse Darlene. You've blown up your cover."

 

Yeah, it was lame. I know. I don't even know why I wish he was the one sending me the flowers. Or him liking me. Whatever. Maybe I was just missing him.

"Junhoe is the most impossible person to like me." I said.

"I don't know. But I really see in their eyes how much they like you. I even caught him looking at you one time!" she told me.

"As of now, I don't want to assume for those things. I still want to know who is that guy whose sending me flowers."

"I'll help you, darling. Don't worry." Blaire is one of the most sincere people I knew.

"Thanks, Blaire."

"No worries," she said in between yawns. " Oh, I'm sorry dear but I'm real sleepy. Let's continue this tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay, Goodnight Blaire."

"Goodnight." and she hung up.

 

I looked at my watch. 12:30am. It was the time when Donghyuk and I first met. I looked at my side window. His lights are still off. "He stilll hadn't come home." He never comes home late. Except when we are studying. Maybe he's still on practice. Or.. might be with Jean.

I lay down on my bed and was about to put my headphones on, when a car stopped on their lot. It was a pink convertible. I saw Jean. He was really with Jean. I felt my heart hurt. It was like torn into pieces. He jumped out and waved goodbye when suddenly, she pulled him. Pulled him real close. I realized, I was in tears. She kissed him.

 

Oh my, Oh no. Great night Darlene.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I haven't slept well last night. From what I saw, he did nothing about it. Then I remebered my tears. And I came into a conclusion. He wasn't just a friend to me. I love him. Oh no.

 

 I opened my windows and I saw Donghyuk. He stared, but I looked away. I went down and fixed myself. I saw somebody outside waiting. I took my bag and ran to the door.

 

"Hey, Don.." No It wasn't him. It was..

"Junhoe?!?"

He looked up. He smiled. A smile I have never seen before. " I heard you're not having company these past few days. It's not good for ladies to walk alone, be it day or night."

"I have Blaire and Kirsten with me."

"Male company."

 

"So," I looked at him, smiling. " You're renewed? Not the bully, but the bully hero?" I laughed at the thought.

His brown eyes stared at me, and I found it hard to breathe. The to die for eyes. He looked away, and pulled me by the hand.

"Don't laugh, let's get going, or we might be late." I felt some kind of electricity ran inside of me. I hate him, but seeing how thoughtful he was today, it seems confusing. 

He opened the front door of his car. "Get in."

I looked at him with wonder."Seriously?"

He scratched his head. "Could you just get in and stop asking? I hate curious people."

I smiled. Stubborn guy. When I was seated, he leaned over me. Darn, he smelled good. My eyes twitched. It always does especially if I'm excited. He pulled the seatbelt beside me. And beacause I was staring at him, he looked away and he became red. And in my peripheral vision, I saw Donghyuk standing outside their door. And the pink car came. He just jumped inside, and they left.

"Are they dating?" Junhoe asked.

I rolled my eyes. " I don't know. I don't care."

He shrugged and started to drive. I realized I was throwing a temper to somebody who just offered me a ride.

"I'm sorry." I apologized.

"It's fine." he said. Back to the cold him.

* *

 

Blaire pulled me by hand after getting off Junhoe's car. "You look great together." 

"Sweet meanie." Kirsten giggled.

"No, it wasn't like it looked like, he just appeared on my front door, and offered me a ride to school."

"Yeah, Darlene, it really wasn't like that. He just SHOWED YOU HE LIKES YOU." Blaire rolled her eyes to me. "Would he ever do that to anyone?"

My jaw dropped. . I'm sure was a first timer. I turned to look at Junhoe. He was looking at me, giving me a boyish smile. He looks completely different when he smiles. I smiled back, wishing he would always wear that smile. It looks good on him.

-end-