MY UNEXPECTED HERO

The Nerd and the Nutcase (A Series of Unexpected Events)

 KRIIIIIIIIIIING ! KRIIIIIIIIIIIING !

 

This is the part of the day that I hate the most. The alarm screaming right infront of my face. Actually, I'm not fond of waking up early.

 I'm Darlene, an average girl. Well, I'm smarter than my y classmates. But as they say, less beautiful. I live with my mom, She's alone by the way, because my dad evaporated in the earth one cloudy day of December. But I don't think it's my disastrous part of life.

 

 " Darlene, just when are you going to wake up? It's the first day!" Mom is shouting downstairs. I covered my face with my pillow. I hate this. This morning, this First Day. It started when Junhoe and I became classmates. He's the school bully. One day, I did not let him copy my notes and eversince whenever he's on the hallway, he would shriek " Hey it's Darlene, the girl with the window-type glasses!" Then everybody would laugh at me. And that's one hell of a reason not to go to school. Junhoe and his punks.

 

 I crawled out of bed. My back hurts, so I opened my windows. Bayleaf looks more peaceful and beautiful in the morning. Dogs strolling, kids running for their buses and Donghyuk walking towards our door. WAIT! DONGHYUK IS WALKING TOWARDS OUR DOOOR?!? NO WAY !!! I looked at the mirror. My face oily, my hair uncombed. No way I would go downstairs like that. My heart's beating frantically. I heard his knock. Then I heard Mom open the door and talk to him. Then mom's slippers is now getting up to my room. I rushed to the door and pretended not to know anything.

 

 "Oh, dear just in time." she said. "Donghyuk, our neighbor's son, is waiting for you at the porch. He's also enrolled in St. Andrew's so you better get going. You're going there together."

"But mom..." I complained.

"No more buts Darlene. Better get dressed!" Mom snapped. Actually I did everything in less than an hour, and that's a great record.

"Hey there," I said, while wearing my shoes.

"Let's go." and flashed his greatest smile.

"Bye,Sweetie. Take care the two of you." Mom waved.

 

 It's awkward. Everybody's eyes on you, then to this hot guy beside you, as if it was a sin to be beside him, or are they wondering how can he stand to be beside a girl like me? And that has a great stress on the word LIKE ME.

 St. Andrew's Academy is one of the best schools in Dela Aisle. The best teachers, facilities. But the contrast with the students. There are the Spice Girls, the girls with just vanity kits in their Louis Vuitton bags, The Backstreet Boys who only uses hairgel, the Nerds(including me), and the commoners.

 

"You know, I want to be one of the nerds too." Donghyuk winked at me while we're walking down the hallway. I was half-relieved that he's there, knowing I have some company in class. As I walk into the room, Stacie, the female counterpart of Junhoe, girl screamed loudly.

" Oh my gosh! Nerdy's here!" and obviously she's pointing at me. She's sitting beside Junhoe, who's smirking meanly at me. As if they have this plan planted in somewhere. The whole class laughed. I grinned. It's the norm anyway.

 

"SHE'S NOT A NERD." Donghyuk said while entering the room. The mean girls opened their mouths in awe at the looks of him. Ha-ha. I said myself.

But Stacie walked towards him, pullingg his collar and asked " And what' your name, Pretty Boy?"

Donghyuk took off her hand as he said, "Chill down girl, You're going to know me later." and he grabbed me to the seat beside him. Stacie turned pale, then purple. She was damn embarrassed. She stomped back beside Junhoe who just laughed at her.

 I blew out a sigh. " Thanks."

He smiled. " Do they always treat you that way?"

"Hell yeah," I nodded. "and I'm totally used to it."

"No way, not anymore."

"Hunh?" I was a bit shocked.

" Coz' Kim Donghyuk  is here." he winked.

" Like Superman?" 

"Sort of. But better." And the Physics teacher came.

* *

 Mrs. Muffet is our Physics teacher. She is a small stout woman in her fifties.

"So, I heard we have a new student in here." She said, while she's putting on her glasses. She looked at her list. "Kim Donghyuk."

 Superman, I mean Jess stood up and introduced himself. "I'm Kim Donghyuk, eighteen. Hope we can be friends." he smiled his precious smile at them.

"Nuh-ah, not until you break up with your nerdy girlfriend." Stacie screamed.

"Sorry, but its not negotiable." Donghyuk replied as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Nutcase!" She yelled again.

"Okay that's enough," Mrs.Muffet said."Please take your seat Mr. Kim."

My brain began its instant replay. Did I just heard the word BREAK-UP? You mean they thought we were like? Oh no, shoot.

**

"Hey, you fine?" he asked. and it brought me back to reality.

 "Uh..Hunh...yeah, I'm fine. But did you heard what did Stacie just said?" I asked him.

"The nutcase thing?"

"NO!" I told him. Actually he's a complete nutcase. Because he followed a girl to make sure she's safe, walked her home, walked her to school and now, defended her to the bullies. So I can't blame Stacie for that.

"Ah, the break-up thingy," he said, smiling widely.

"They think we're like," I gestured my two index fingers together.

"That's fine."

I hit my head again. "Hunh."

"How do you make it?" He asked.

"The what?"

"That HUNH sounds, it's incredible." he cupped his hand and faced me.

"Oh, it's something to do with the throat and choking, it's amazing, but that's inborn I guess" I replied.

"I like the throat part, but the choking part, it's fatal, I might die because of that." He said innocently.

 

 I just can't help but giggle about what he just said. EFFORTLESS. INNOCENT. If that was Junhoe, it's a horrible mess. But with Donghyuk, it's cute. Oh , WHATEVER. 

 

-end-