First Night Together

Dilemma

After looking around, she went to unpack her luggage. It took her hours to unpack it. She begins cleaning up Wendy’s apartment and headed to the supermarket once she was done with the cleaning.

Hmmm, what should I cook tonight…? I have no idea what food Wendy likes.” Mina thought about it and decided on dishes that she can cook the best. Mina went home carrying lots of grocery bags.

--

Wendy was finishing work and cleaning up for closing.

“Wendy, why were you late for work? Did something happen? You were always early for work you know.” Tiffany asked as she was concerned about Wendy. Tiffany was Wendy’s colleague and they are very close with each other. When Wendy needed help, Tiffany would always be there for her.

“Nothing happened unnie. It’s just I met a girl and she needed a place to stay so I offered her a room at my apartment and brought her there.” Wendy assured Tiffany that nothing happened. She knew that her unnie was a worrywart towards her.

“How well do you even know her? Are you sure it’s even safe to invite her and stay at your apartment? You only met her once!”

“Unnie I’m sure it’s going to be fine! You don’t have to worry that much. She is quite nice and we even attend the same school!”

“You better be sure about it!”

“I’m going off now then! Goodbye unnie, see you on Tuesday!” Wendy bids her goodbye and left the café.

While walking home, Wendy noticed a beautiful hairclip from a road-stand stall. She walked towards the stall and took the clip up. “This would probably look beautiful on Mina. I should get this for her.” Wendy thought and smiled to herself.

“Ahjumma, can I have this? How much is it?” Wendy whipped out her wallet and paid for the hairclip.

She kept the hairclip in her bag and went back home.

--

“Mina, I’m home!” Wendy shouted once she stepped in the apartment.  Once she stepped in, she could smell the delicious aroma of food in her house. Wendy rushed to the kitchen and saw the foods on the table. Her eyes lit up upon seeing those delicious foods. Mina turned and saw Wendy being such a kid in front of the food.

“Go change and get ready for dinner! I’m finishing soon, there is still one more dish left!” Mina pushed Wendy lightly back into her room. If not, she would definitely not move away from the food and would just keep staring at it.

Wendy went in her room and quickly changes into casual clothes. She walked out and saw Mina done with cooking dinner.

“Let’s eat now!” Mina said.

“I’m so hungry! I could eat a horse!” Wendy exclaimed.

The both of them sat down and Wendy began eating. Mina was just staring at Wendy eating. Wendy turned her head only to realize Mina was staring at her.

“Hey, why aren’t you eating?”

“I just want to see whether it’s up to your liking since I have no idea what you like.” Mina grinned.

“These are really delicious you know!” Wendy exclaimed and put some food into Mina’s bowl. “Eat up! You must be hungry too.”

Mina smiled at Wendy’s gesture. She thanked her and starts eating. The both of them were quiet during dinner and Wendy decided to break the silence.

“Your cooking is really great! I have not eaten any home-cooked food since I came over Korea. My cooking is not that good either.  I could only get take-away every day.”

“Thanks for the compliment. I learn to cook from my mother, I find cooking fun and interesting. How about I cook for you every day? You don’t have to eat outside food then, they are not good for your health either.” Mina suggested to Wendy.

“But I don’t want to bother you by getting you to cook every day.”

“You don’t even find me a bother, so why would I! And cooking is my hobby too, I enjoyed cooking you know.”

“Then that’s a deal! You shall cook for me every day, no going back on words!” Wendy entwined her pinky finger with Mina’s and made a pinky promise. Mina chuckled at Wendy looking like a little kid.

--

Wendy offered to clean up the dishes after they were done with dinner. But Mina didn’t want Wendy to clean up alone so she went to help her. They both were able to clear up fast and settled down at the sofa. They continued chatting and get to further understand each other. All of a sudden, Wendy took out a hairclip which surprised Mina.

“I got this clip for you. It looks really beautiful and I think it would look great on you.” Wendy helped Mina to put on the hairclip. And indeed, it looks great on Mina.

“Wow, I got a really good taste! It totally looks great on you!” Wendy laughs gleefully.

“Thanks for the gift. You don’t really have to get me anything.” Mina felt touched that Wendy got her a gift even though it was only the first day she met her.

“It’s not anything expensive you know. Just treat it as my welcoming gift for you then!”

Mina then ran into her room and got something out.

“I got you this!” Mina put a shopping bag in front of her. Wendy takes a look and saw that it was a cap. Wendy totally loves cap and Mina actually got the one she likes.

“How did you know I love caps? This looks really nice you know!”

“I was looking around the apartment while you were at work and I saw a collection of caps at your room. And just to say, I wasn’t peeking at your room! The door was not close and the collection caught my attention.” Mina exclaimed. She didn’t want Wendy to thinks that she peek her room while she was at work.

“It’s alright. My room is pretty empty anyway! But thanks a lot for the cap, it must have cost a lot right?”

“It didn’t cost much too. Just treat it as a thank-you gift from me! You gave me a gift too right.” Mina pointed at the clip on her head and smiled.

Out of sudden, Mina hugged Wendy. Wendy was shocked by the hug again but she returned the hug anyway. After awhile, she felt the back of her clothes was wet. Wendy pulled out of the hug and saw Mina shed tears.

“Why are you crying? Don’t cry please.” Wendy cupped Mina’s face and wiped away her tears.

“N-no one…have been t-that nice…hhng hhng… to me. You were incredible nice and kind towards me even when you barely know m-me.” Mina was trying so hard to stop crying.

“Aigoo, I’m just doing what I think it’s right. You needed help and I should definitely lend you a helping hand.” Wendy comforted Mina and gave her a charming smile.

It took awhile to comfort Mina. Wendy brought Mina back to her room as she felt that she had a long day and needed to rest. Wendy put Mina into bed and went out of her room.

She took a bath and sat on her bed. Her mind was filled with thoughts.

Why did I feel the sudden need to protect her…?”

“Maybe she is just alone in a foreign country like I am.”

“Nah, it’s nothing I guess. I must be thinking too much.”

Wendy then went to sleep to stop herself from thinking too much.