First Encounter

Dilemma

There were two more days before college starts. As Wendy is a foreign student, she had to make a trip down to the school and settle some paperwork before school starts. When she was done, she decided to take a walk around the school and have a look at the environment. While looking around, she found a quiet and breezy spot and took a sit. After sitting for a while, she saw a girl lugging a luggage and looking quite lost in the school. She chuckled at the sight of it. Being a really kind and nice person, Wendy stood up and walk up to that girl.

“Hey, you look kind of lost. Do you need any help?” Wendy asked.

“I need to go to the GO but I couldn’t find my way. Do you know where it is?” the girl replied shyly. She gave a sheepish smile and scratched her head.

“Oh I can bring you there if you don’t mind.” Wendy offered.

“Thank you so much!”

“Hey, do you need any help with your luggage? You seem to be having a hard time with it.”

“It’s alright, I can manage!” she grinned. But when she took a few steps, the luggage was practically being dragged on the floor because it was so big and heavy.

Wendy swiftly took the luggage away from her when she saw how the girl was carrying or you could say dragging it. “Let me help you, I am pretty strong you know.”

The girl could only smile and thank Wendy for her kind gestures. They walked for a few minutes and arrived at the front of the GO.

“This is the GO, and here you go.” Wendy passed the luggage back to the girl.

“Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.” The girl smiled and they bid their goodbyes.

--

Wendy plugged in her earpiece and head to the bus stop as she had work. She was working at a café as a barista. She totally loves to make coffees and especially trying to create new latte arts. While waiting for the bus, she felt a tapped on her shoulder. She turned back and saw the girl she saw just awhile ago.

“Hi, it’s you again.” Wendy smiled.

“Yeah it’s me. And I just remembered I have not asked for your name.”

“My name is Son Seungwan but you can just call me Wendy.”

“I am Choi Mina. I’m a Korean-American and lived at California since young. I came back as an exchange student.”

“I’m a foreign student too, but I’ve been here for 4 years already. I presumed you just arrived right from the luggage you are carrying? So where are you staying?”

“I came straight down from the airport once I landed to settle the paperwork. I have not really found any place to stay yet… I’m going to find some affordable place now.”

“It’s hard to find any affordable places nearby you know. If you don’t mind, how about staying at my place? I’m staying alone at my apartment anyway.”

“I don’t really wish to trouble you though. We barely know each other and yet you have helped me many times already.” Mina rejected as she didn’t want to trouble Wendy any further.

“You came to a foreign country alone and don’t know anyone here. I just felt the need to help you. It’s not any trouble you know. Besides that, I’m not letting you stay for free anyway. So how about it?”

Wendy thought that letting Mina pay the rent for the room and she would not have any excuse to reject the offer anymore. She knew how the girl was feeling to be in a foreign country and having no one around. Feeling the need to help, she offered a room at her apartment.

Mina thought for a moment and decided to take up the offer. She needed a place to stay anyway. “I hope I’m not troubling you then. Thank you so much!” Mina went forward and gave Wendy a hug as she was the first person that was so nice to her since she came. Wendy was shocked and felt overwhelmed by the sudden hug but return it anyway.

--

They were now on the bus heading to Wendy’s apartment. Along the way, they kept chatting and begin to know more about each other. Mina had no siblings and came to Korea because her parents want her to learn to be more independent.

“Hey, what course are you in?” Wendy asked since she knew they are going to be in the same school. Who knows they might be in the same course too.

“Oh I took up Art! I love to draw and it is also very interesting that’s why.” Mina replied excitedly.

“Wow, you must have love drawing that much for being this excited.” Wendy opens her arms widely to describe Mina’s love for drawing.

“Sorry I can’t help when talking about art you know. It’s pretty much my first love.” Mina replied gleefully.

“What about you? What course are you in?”

“I took up Music. My love for music is probably the same as your love for art.” Wendy’s eyes lit up upon mentioning music.

The two girls reached their stop and alighted. Wendy helped Mina with her luggage as the latter looks so feeble. They walk a distance and arrived at Wendy’s apartment.

“I hoped you don’t find my apartment messy. I’m not really good at cleaning.” Wendy felt embarrassed at that moment.

“It’s alright. I’m good at cleaning anyway so I could do it for you since you accept my rent at such a low amount.”

Wendy shows Mina around the apartment and brings her to her room.

“I hope you are fine with this room. No one is using this room but sometimes Seulgi would crash at my apartment and sleep at this room. But no worries, I would let her know about it.” Wendy smiled and assured her.

Wendy looked at her watch and panicked. “Mina, I’m sorry but I got to rush for work now. Are you going to be fine alone?”

“Just go for work! I’m fine with it.”

“Okay I’m going off then. Here is my number, give me a call if something happens or just drops me a text if you need anything! Don’t worry about dinner, I’ll get some takeaway!” Wendy rushed to the door and quickly wore her shoes.

“How about I’ll cook dinner instead, my cooking is not that bad.” Mina quickly asked.

“Okay sure then! Just don’t burn up my kitchen!” Wendy replied kiddingly and laughs.

“Your kitchen would be fine! Have fun at work!” Mina shouted back and watches as Wendy left for work.

Mina was now left alone at the apartment. She walked around the apartment and picked up the photo frames placed at the shelves. It was photos of Wendy’s family portrait, graduation photo and the last frame was a girl hugging Wendy and both of them were smiling brightly. It left Mina wondering who that girl was.