The purpose

The Music Box

A/n: This chapter is probably going to be confusing, but it actually starts out inside your mind. Since it takes place in your mind, you are actually in a kind of spirit-ish form. So in a way, you're more of a ghost (as well as anything else that appears). I hope that actually helped somehow and didn't just make you even more confused xD

-------------------------------

When you first awoke again, it took you a few seconds to completely come back to your senses. Everything around you was black and there was really nothing to see, but all of a sudden there was a flash and your surroundings turned white. Once again, you looked around and now realized that you weren't alone. Standing several away from you, there was a child that looked exactly like the doll that was in your music box, except this girl was more human... if "human" was the right word to describe her.

You were scared, but that didn't keep you from getting a closer look at her and when you did, you realized that there were tearstains on her cheeks. She was staring at you with a blank expression, but you could definitely tell that her heart was full of sorrow. After staring for a while, you realized that she was holding the thick ribbon with the purple stone attached.

Taking a bold step forward, you asked, "Who are you...?"

The girl said nothing, but held out her hand with the necklace palm-up. Not understanding what she wanted you to do, you just stood there and stared at her. You both stayed like that for a while and then suddenly, she was standing right in front of you. You were so shocked that you could only blink. Just a second ago she had been standing far away, but now she was standing directly in front of you in the exact same position- and you hadn't even seen her move.

The girl nodded towards the necklace that sat on her outstretched hand, and eventually you got the hint. You cautiously reached out and picked up the necklace by the jewel. You didn't know what to do with it after that, but apparently you didn't have to because it disappeared as soon as it was no longer in contact with the girl. You glanced down and saw that it was now securely tied around your own neck.

You have no idea how long I have been locked in here. Came a young girl's voice. You assumed that it had come from the child in front of you, but you hadn't seen her lips move.
"Here? Where exactly is 'here'?" You asked her.
 
"Technically right now we are in your imagination, but when I say 'here', I am referring to the music box." This time she actually spoke using .
 
"But why were you locked in there?"
 
"Ah yes, that is a question I cannot answer without diffficulty. You see, I have actually been dead for at least fifty years."
 
"Dead!?"
 
The girl nodded before continuing, "I died a tragic death when I was only 7, so now I shall forever be a 7 year old girl. I never had the chance to experience what it feels like to grow up and be a teenager. I will never get married or have children, and I will never live a happy life. However, when I died, my spirit somehow got locked in the box and I was able to watch the lives of the people that have owned it. The music box was actually an heirloom that my grandmother had given me before she died, as well as the necklace that you are wearing now."
 
"So you were probably locked in it because it was an item that you had special feelings for, right? But if the necklace is an heirloom, then why did you give it to me to wear?"
 
"I don't understand why, but somehow it acts as a link that creates a connection between us. No one has been able to unlock the secret of the box, but now here you are."
 
"Well, what am I doing here?"
 
"Actually, we have switched bodies."
 
"Switched bodies!? What is that supposed to mean??"
 
"I am now in your body and you have taken my place in the music box."
 
"But how do we change back?"

"I wish I knew. I didn't want to take over your body without your permission, but it is too late for that since we have already switched."

"You mean you have been planning to take over my body for a while?"
 
"I wasn't going to without you willing, but yes. Although I must add that I've only been planning this since you came into contact with the box."
 
"But why?"
 
"Because I once again want to experience life. All the things I've missed out on, I wish to feel."

"So you aren't going to use my body for some evil purpose?"
 
"No, I just want to be alive."
 
"Well yeah, but I don't exactly trust you with my life. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I'm concerned about my family and friends. What would they think? I don't want to worry them..."
 
"That is why I need your help. It's not like I want to ruin your life by taking over, so I am willing to merely follow your directions with your body. You will be able to see what I am doing through the necklace that we both wear, and you will be able to guide me so that we won't raise any suspicions. I don't wish to do anything that would hurt you, so would you please help me with this?"
 
"Even if I didn't want to, I wouldn't have a choice since we don't know how to switch back. However, I am willing to do this on one condition."

"What is that?"

"You listen to what I tell you to do and not to do. I won't control every action you make or every word you say, but I will guide you a lot of the time."
 
"So that is it? All I have to do is listen to what you say, and you will allow me control over your body?"
 
You nodded slowly. You were willing to do this because you thought it was sad that she hadn't had a chance to live. Of course many things now would be different from her own time, but somehow you knew that you two could work around it.
 
"Now there is one more thing I should tell you." the girl said.
 
"What is that?" You asked her. She sounded a bit worried when she spoke.
 
"I don't have the box in my possession. This whole time that we have been conversing in here, your body has been resting in your bed and the music box was left at the park."
 
"But then how did I get to my bed!?"

"Your brother went out looking for you and saw your body 'sleeping' on the swings, so he carried you home. Unfortunately, he did not see the box and it was left behind."
 
"Don't we need the box? How can you be so calm!?"
 
"Well the box isn't necessary, but yes, I would prefer to have it in my possession. The thing is... someone came by and found it. He picked it up and by now it is probably at home with him."
 
"Him...?"
 
"I believe I heard his name was Changjo."
 
----------------------------------------------------------
 
A/n: I'm so sorry for making it confusing!!! >.> Shame on me TT_TT But I couldn't figure out how to make it more understandable...
To make it up to you, I will be pleased to answer any and all questions you have to ask. But I'd appreciate it if you commented even if you don't have any questions :)
 
I'm always open to any constructive criticism and I would also like to hear any requests you have. Other than that, thank you for being patient with me (since I don't have too much time to update ): ) and thank you for choosing to read my story! Enjoy, and please look forward to the next update ^^
 
@MulticultureINSPIRIT Wow! Haha thank you for the amazing comment ^^ It is very encouraging and I hope you continue to enjoy reading :)
 
@_StAr2595_ I hope that's a good thing :p lol actually it makes me happy to hear that. I never really was a huge Harry Potter (the books) fan, but I do like the movies a lot. Feel free to make any suggestions or corrections if you prefer something to be different. I will do my best to adjust things for my readers.