In the night

Who are you ?

In the night :

 

When girls called her to watch the new music videos of the week, she knew Winner's comeback was coming, but she did not expect this MV to go like… what the hell ?! What's with YG ? She almost had a heart attack watching his kiss scene, kiss on the lips… several times… She gulps, she cannot help to feel bitter, « he sure had fun huh », she thinks, jealousy showing up.

She leaves the living room under the worried looks of the girls, the MV has ended anyway.

« Come on Irene, it is just acting... », tried Wendy, but she would have react the same. It is hard to see your crush kissing someone else.

« I know », she answers shortly.

 

The girls are now aware of Irene's nascent feelings for Winner's popular rapper Song Mino, she admited to them one friday night whereas they were finishing eating quickly eager to gain some sleep. Joy has been talking a lot about Sungjae lately and boys became a more comfortable topic than before. They are idols with a dating ban but they can have fantasy, they are still young girls nonetheless, rambling about their crushes was a comon thing… except for Irene who cannot let herself slip the truth she has already a hard time to accept. Maybe she had taken this affair too seriously, so when she told the girls what she felt like about him she just did a normal thing, there is nothing to be ashamed of. She felt surprisingly relieved with the pronunciation of a few words : « I have a crush on Song Mino ». And the girls were not surprised at all, they have noticed the blushing cheeks Irene had everytime she sees him either on TV or in magazines. The tap Wendy gave her on her shoulder next was enough to sum up the girls' approval.

 

Here she was locking herself in her room like a sulking child. She hates herself for reacting like that, he is not even her boyfriend. The fact is she does not want to be teased about her crush, it is nothing for the moment but she secretly hopes something can happen between them. Call her selfish but she does not want to share with her friends all the details. As an idol she is craving for privacy and this is already incredible that she was able to meet him alone several times, it is a blessing for her, she does not want witnesses.

Irene looks up the ceiling blankly, she wishes it can be the two them, an inpenetrable space, time hanging for some minutes, where everything would be possible for them. It is just a dream, she knows she cannot be with him and he may do not want her... How she is longing for a tiny sign of affection from him, instead of taking her hand in a caring manner hold her hand possessively. She always pictures that is the man who has to take the initiative in a debuting relationship, but now she thinks she has her part in the game, women can be stronger than men when it comes to love matters.

 

She stands up and grabs her phone, she has now his number thanks to his little friends' prank months ago but she never texts him. Time has come, searching for his contact nervously, she has no idea of what to write but she must write something if she wants to see him. Why not asking him to meet in a ca like last time ? Or maybe a restaurant ? He loves food. She is nervously biting her lip as she types :

Hello Mino-shi, are you ready for meet cutlet friday night at food stalls ?

Sent. She waits with this sensation of exhaustion when you have put all your efforts in the achievement of a cause. A couple of minutes later, after a long wait which essentialy includes yawning in her bed sheets, she heards the awaited reply and hurries to read it without knocking herself on her nightstand :

I'm always ready for food, call.

She had planned this on an impulse and thought she wouldn't have the guts to ask him out but she did. With a stupid smile she leaves her room, expectation to the highest.

 

*

 

That night she arrives first, she is too early because of the excitation caused by the idea of meeting him again. When he finally joins her at the little restaurant table sending her a wide smile in passing, she senses the heat rises to her. Yet Song Mino is not at his best, he is dressed in loose clothes, wears a bizarre-shaped cap and a careless feel of chilling at home kind of emerges of him. All of sudden Irene is dreading their encounter, he does not seem to have the same motives as her.

Mino is delighted at the sight of such delicous food in front of him, he is already drooling as he is tying his napkin around his neck to avoid staining his shirt. A good meal is what he needs to forget the stress of the comeback hectic schedule. A good starting point for Irene. Except that the guy is now more focused on his meat balls and noodles than on her. « Well, for the first time he seems to enjoy my company, so I should thank this restaurant », she thinks.

 

« So, how is your comeback ? It does have success I see », she begins the discussion.

« It's doing well but it could be better », he answers and he continues his business.

Irene is desperatly searching for hint of attention from him, something which can indicate he wants to share something with her, but he does not raise his head or take a single glimpse at her. It is only when he has finished with his plate that she sees his face again and not this ugly cap.

« Do you get along well with Park Bogum ? », she heards him say whereas she is busy looking anywhere else but this guy who makes things awkward. What is this question asked out of the blue ?

« You two seem pretty close », he continues.

« What are you trying to say Mino-ssi ? »

« Nothing... » He is denying, actually he wants to know how Irene can be this comfortable with a man who is not from her company, she is not that bright when she is around him and he does not like that.

Irene looks at him curiously, it sounds as he is reproaching her for building a great friendship with her colleague. She is not sure this is jealousy but who is speaking ? She did not shoot some kiss scene. Clenching her fists slowly she tries to answer something which would not cast a chill : « He is indeed a colleague I'm enjoying working with, he is a sweet man. »

He does not bother to look at her as she is talking, he is a bit confused now at his own reactions, he does care about with whom she is, they are just acquaintances not even friends. It is obvious their relationship has not reach the friends level for the moment, they are two busy idols who had talk to each other a few times that's it. There is no need to search for a reason to justify his sudden interest in Irene's connections except the new attraction he develops towards her. Song Mino recalls the help her beautiful face has been to write songs and suddenly an unease feeling engulfs him. « , I look like a fool again ! », he thinks ashamed.

 

The man in front of her has turned into a stone and Irene does not know how to lighten the atmosphere anymore. She glances at him sometimes in hope but he is keeping his head low. The two form a dull and gloomy picture far from the cool and lively restaurant.

Mino cannot move trapped in a dilemma : he excuses himself and let her be or he pursues his feelings for her. Why is everything is so difficult when it is related to her ? Usually he would tell what he is feeling honestly to people, he is one direct person but with her he has the impression that he makes a mistake in every step. He hates how she makes him feel ashamed of his actions, he does not understand how she could grow on him to the point he dreams of her.

 

« Mino ? », she says in a small voice unsure.

He stands up straight briskly as she prounounces his name it startles her, more she shivers when she meets his eyes, so intense and dark that she blinks several times before she could support his piercing gaze. Mino finds some strengh in him to face the girl, he will tell his point of view bout their relationship, he will confess the way he feels about her. But before he can open his mouth Irene had already assume things :

« You can go if you want, I know you don't want to be here... I thought we were in good terms but I was wrong. I'll just say that for your information to mind your own business, I did not reproach you to shoot mv with kiss scenes. People tend to imagine there's some romance between me and Park Bogum but we are nothing but good friends. Hope you had a great diner though, it's on me since I invited you. »

Mino has some difficulty to breath out as if something sticked in his throat. Why is she thinking he does not like her ? He was wrong, she is an idiot. He is about to leave now.

Irene does not understand either when she sees him roll his eyes. She has had enough. She is putting efforts since the beggining of this diner during which he had a questionable behaviour and now it seems he is angry at her.

 

« You're completly wrong Irene-ssi », he starts. The tension between them is building up and it is a matter of right choice of words before one of them argue with the other.

« Why am I wrong ? »

« You don't understand, I do not hate you or something… Why are you making things complicated?! »

« It's me who is complicated now ?! » She tries to not raise her voice since they are surrounded by people and risk to be recognize. Instead of speaking normally they are now whispering in a loud way if it is possible preventing any outburst.

« Yes, you didn't give me the time to explain myself… and what is with my kiss scene ? It was a success, you're just jealous ! », he suddenly declares remembering what she said.

Irene blushes furously, she could sense her blood pressure increase. She puffs her cheeks in anger, he is provoking her. She would not admit she is jealous in front of him.

« Cat's got your tongue », Mino cannot help to joke. Still, she is cute all in red but a bit scarry as well as she is glaring at him. Then he remembers what he was about to say, fighting is not the point, now he made her angry it will be difficult to make her listen to him.

« Why is it always so complicated with you ? », he heards himself say and it seem to echo. A silence follows.

 

Irene stands up ready to leave, it is the better thing to do to avoid further argument and possible hurtful words. He cannot let her go, it is stupid to end it here. As she is turning her back Mino joins her after leaving some money on the table and takes her hand tightly. Surprised, Irene opens wide eyes like a trapped animal. Mino guides them outside the restaurant to find some calm place to talk safe from prying eyes. They finally found themselves in parallel street away from the busy night crowd.

He releases her hand and it land flatly along its owner's body, Irene is feeling empty, her mind is too confused to work correctly. Mino starts to worry about her quiet attitude, she was not red anymore and her eyes stopped to throw daggers which is good but now she seems lifeless. Seeing her in this state makes him want to hug her but it would be rude to do so, he has normally some manners with girls but in her presence he doesn't know how to handle situations.

He removes his cap, puts it back, scratchs his neck, balances on one leg then on the other, he is having a hard time to figure what to say to bring her back to her senses.

« Irene ? »

The young woman looks up at him, her expectations have been crushed, now she stops waiting for some kindness from the man. Mino sees some sadness in her eyes, he hurts her again. He will not apologize this time, it's her who made up a story on her own, he did nothing. Most important, she has to listen now, he had listen to her stupid rant she could hear the nice things he is about to say.

« Irene… I wanted to say something to you but you cut me. Usually I'm honest with people but with you I always mess around. Anyway, what I wanted to say is… I'm feeling strange when I'm with you », he smiles, « I think I like you but I don't know if it's simply attraction or something deeper… I don't want to scare you, I know you like me and I've been careless until now about how you feel you but I want it to change... I want us to be closer. », he succeeds to confess.

Irene's heart makes a back flip at his words, she cannot believe he says all of this so casually whereas until now they did nothing but to beat around the bush. She hides her face in her hand embarrassed. She is happy to hear those words from him, she is so happy. It has been a ride of emotions since the beggining of their encounter, the disappointment, the anger and then this sudden gentleness. He noticed her feelings, she was selfish to believe he did not care, he said it to her before, he cared. They misunderstand each other so well it is funny.

She senses his gaze on her, he is waiting for her to say something. She pulls herself together and expresses what is on her heart : « I'm sorry for assuming things earlier, I think I was too desperate to hear something of this kind from you », she also smiles. « I admit I like you, it's obvious anyway, anybody can guess, my cheeks fail me each time your name is said. Well… what can I say other than I want to try. I think we blind ourselves enough, it's either we take the risk to go out together or we stay where we belong to. »

Mino is impressed by Irene's clear vision of the situation, she must had think about it a lot and now he dares to take a step closer she is taking her chance. He is glad they did not stand still in order to make things happen. Their responsabilities are burdening them to the point they are not free of their own moves, this bond they succeed to tie is precious, it is like a miracle.

 

They are in in a little parallel street which is principaly used as a garbage dump by the restaurants of the surroundings. It is not very delicate from Mino to confess in such a place indeed but the later was too immersed in his feelings to notice. Irene realises the setting strangely looks like the one in Winner's MV, Mino's kiss scene, in dirtier. She starts to feel nervous as she is rewinding the scene in her head with her instead of the actress. « This is ridiculous to fantasise like a random fangirl », she persuades herself. As for Mino he is too slow to understand the trouble.

« Can we leave please ? It reminds me of your mv, you know… this scene... », she tells him with sincerity, admiting the reason of her change of mood. Mino is surprised by this admission and cannot stop to laugh at how cute she looks afraid he will do something forbidden to her or maybe it is the other way round, she is afraid to look forward to it. But kissing a girl surrounding by trash is not really romantic or you must have a developed artistic view of things.

« Yes, we have to go anyway. I don't know when we will see each other again », he sighs.

« I'm sure we'll meet soon », she chooses to be optimistic after all those failed meetings. It makes him smile and this is what she prefers, seeing him smile at her, it is contagious because she is smiling too now.

Mino does not know why but he is feeling like a new man. Because they stop to hide their feelings, they are not lonely in their ocean of thoughts anymore. The sharing affection they confessed becomes a strengh, they know they can support each other if they keep beeing honest with one another. Even if they do not know how their feelings will evolve they have the time to consider them now the sitution is improved.

As they draw away he enjoys his last moments with Irene, her eyes are shining even in the night he wants to dive in them.

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Hello everybody! The story is back after 5 months, that's so long I'm sorry, well most important the story continues. I was busy in my life like everybody but from now on I'll manage to take some time to update and finish this story before the end of year x)) Hope you enjoy this chapter, the two are getting closer, don't worry I've some ideas for them ;) Thank you for subscribing and commenting whereas the story was on standby, it motivates me as alway :3

Love,

-wanderingmood