Meeting in a staircase

Who are you ?

Meeting in a staircase :

 

Irene is going to the TV channel building, she has an appointment with the director of the programs. She enjoys being an MC for the music show Music Bank, the staff takes good care of her and the mood is so joyful. According to her, music shows are one of the best way to give happiness to people. Working as an MC also helps her to develop her speaking skills, she is feeling more comfortable than before. When she steps out the van, a lady is waiting for her in order to lead her to the director's office. Irene follows her diligently, she had already meet the director once or twice, so she isn't that anxious for her appointement of the month. The lady calls the elevator but this one starts to blink its lights, the buttons do not seem to work. She starts to apologize to Irene who is even more embarrassed.

« No need to apologize, it happens frequently. », Irene smiles to the woman. « I can take the stairs. », she offers.

« But I have to warn the technical assistance and I can let you go by yourself. »

« Don't worry, I think I can find the office on my own, I'm a big girl. », she reassures her. Irene doubts that she will get lost in a building where everything is indicated, moreover she can always ask her way.

After much hesitation, the lady finally let her go because she has to attend to her obligations. Irene bows to her and sweeps the corridor with her eyes to find the staircase.

Finding the little man sign, Irene starts to climb the stairs. It does not bother to work her legs a bit. Actually, she likes those rare quiet times when things are just running their course, she does not have to speed up her movements. As an idol she is brought here and there, she does not choose where to stand. But she does not complain, she likes the attention her group receives. A few steps crossed, she stops to read on an information board that the office is on the third floor. Taking a look at her watch, she realises she has not so much time left now, maybe she has to hurry a little because the appointement is in five minutes.

Irene alone so far has passed the second floor when she hears someone's footsteps. She is about to greet the person politely, but all she can do is to gape at him when she recognizes his face : Song Mino is here in front of her.

Mino stops on his tracks, surprised to meet her in some random staircase. Inside, he had know that sooner or later they will meet again, but he cannot get rid to be breath-taken everytime he sees her.

Nobody speaks at first, the atmosphere becomes awkward. It has been two months since they see each other, time goes fast. In a corner of their mind and heart, they had keep a special space for one another, filled with affection and desire, the possibility of something more than a platonic friendship. But at the same time, weariness and annoyance had take place too, love and hate being close.

« Hello », Irene speaks up, she is both pleased and shy to encounter him.

« Hello », Mino answers finding her beautiful and annoying as usual. There is a floating moment, then Irene tries to start a talk :

« I'm watching you on Show Me The Money. »

Mino is proud to hear that, his ego rising all of sudden. The idea of her not missing his show makes him want to boast about how a popular girl like Irene is following him.

« I'm happy to hear that. », he simply replies, but the corners of his mouth are lifting hinting it means a lot more to him. He is about to ask what she is doing in the TV building when he sees her face falls, she seems frustrated with her pouting lips.

« I would like to talk to you but I've got an appointement with the director of music shows here. » She is disappointed she cannot talk to him more, they do not meet often, honestly she does not want to wait until the next time she meets him.

Mino understands she wants to talk to him but cannot because she has to leave. Sure, she prefers to be with him than to go to a boring appointement. Maybe he is thinking too much but it can be the truth, he wishes.

« So, I've to go... » She is going to leave like that.

« Wait ! », Mino blurts out. « Maybe… Maybe I can wait for you until you finish your appointement... » He is puting his embarassment aside to offer her to spend some time together.

« But you don't have any schedule ? » Irene is taken aback, she did not imagine a second he would say that, it is making her giddy.

« It'll be lunchtime anyway, so I've got about an hour of time. », he answers.

She cannot believe it, he is asking her to hang out. Well, it is just for several minutes, it is not like a date, but still, he wants to spend some time with her.

« Alright, that's nice of you. I think it'll only take twenty minutes, it's just to valid the adjustments of the coming month. », she informs him. She does not want to make him wait too long, so she is hoping hard she is right with her estimation.

Another look on her watch announces she has to go. He smiles and waves at her : « See you later. »

« See you later. »

When she sees his figure disappearing in the staircase she cannot contain her excitement, she is wearing a wide smile not including her pinkish cheeks. It looks like she is crushing on him and actually that is not far from the truth. She spent many days wondering about him, watching him on TV, reading his interviews, now that she can see him again for real it brings her a vast joy. But Irene stops her daydream and hurries to her appointement, once it will be settled she will able to talk to him more. She cannot wait, she starts to run in the stairs her mind fills of expectations.

 

Mino feels a bit out of place waiting in front of the TV building, people are looking at him curiously. Maybe it is a bad idea to meet Irene there, he should find a more discreet place. He scans the area around searching for a quiet corner to talk. He spots a bench standing against the next buiding's wall, the dull place is only liven up by a scrawny tree. There that will do.

Seated on the bench, Mino starts to feel anxious about this encounter, all right Irene is a friend, a female friend, he doesn't have many female friends… Why is he feeling strange ? Yes, he finds her attractive, beautiful, splendid… He can't see her as a friend, there's something more… But he can't let it out, he must not. This is tiring, he thinks too much about it whereas he is clearly attracted by her but doesn't want to acknowledge it. It irritates him, she grows on him whereas he has more important to do in life : he has his professionnal life in YG, his team life with his mates, his family life with his parents and his sister. Does he really need a lovelife when he can't properly take care of the others ? He is already necglecting them in many aspects.

Here she is coming out of the building, it was fast. Mino waves to her and on the moment she sees him she beams happily showing her teeth, it changes of her timid smiles. Once she has reached him quickly, she only stands shyly in front of him this time, swaying on her feet. He is sharing the same uneasiness, rubbing his arm and clearing his throat. Both are nervous, acting like highschoolers who are about to confess each other whereas it is not the case, they agreed to be friends.

« Thank you for taking time », she says hardly looking at him, she knows she will blush even more if she does.

« Thank you for accepting », he replies, « hem… so, how are you ? »

« I'm fine thanks. And you, aren't you too tired ? »

Indeed, Mino had bags under his eyes because of his sleeplessness nights remembering his lyrics and the criticisms. SMTM gets Mino to realize he is fully exposed to people and medias judgement, what he does or say might be repeated publicly with or without his consent. What would people think seeing him and Irene together near a bench ? He learns to ignore those thoughts and lives as he wants to. It is probably easier said than done.

« I'm fine and SMTM is ending so I'll rest soon. Don't worry. »

Irene puts a strand of hair behind her ear cutely. Mino is feeling like to hug her. He has been surrounded by men all this time, so Irene's appearance is refreshing.

« Your song 'Fear', it touches me a lot... », she ventures to congratulate him. Nevertheless, the song is emotional, it reminds her of her own story in a way.

« Glad to hear that... » He doesn't want to look weak. Indeed, the song is very personal. But right now, what he is fearing it's his own body, he wants to take her hand badly, he wants to kiss her hand, kiss… It is driving him crazy, he has to stop thinking of her that way.

« It's you the blond now », Irene jokes bringing them back to their arranged date.

« Hmm oh, yes », he simply smiles. Of course, he prefers her new color.

Suddenly, Irene stumbles on a little rock and Mino gently catches her arm to prevent her from falling.

« Sorry, I'm so clumsy... », Irene apologizes standing back up.

« As a reward can I ask you to take a look at my hand, I hurt myself this morning in attempt to fix washing machine. » Mino cannot believe he let escape those words, it is completely silly. He isn't hurting anymore, this just an excuse to touch her hand.

After asking him if he cleaned it, Irene takes his hand carefully and examines serious. Mino gulps, the light brush of her fingers on his skin is tickling him. Shivers are traveling his body, he is shutting his mouth to avoid any laughing sound. But he cannot help it, so he takes her hand to stop the tickle.

Irene who was thinking being helpful is taken aback by his sudden action. She does not understand Mino's purpose. Now, they are hand in hand, eyes in eyes. Irene is blushing like a tomato and Mino isn't better with his pinkish cheeks. Mino intertwines their fingers and the temparature seems to rise. Both know their attraction to one another, that the borders can be crossed anytime if they continue to meet. But those two hands together are more comfortable each time, they don't mind to stand like this for hours.

Despite everything, Mino thinks it is dangerous if someone see them and breaks the contact reluctantly. Irene is thinking the same thing, anybody can assume they are going out together whereas it is not the case. They don't need words to express their worries. After saying a brief goodbye, Mino is still looking at Irene apologetically. Irene gives him a nod which means that's how things are. She thinks they have been dreamers to believe they could have some special moment. Then, they part to go.

Their relationship is ambiguous, touches and words vague. They are not ready to face their growing feelings for each other because of the duties they are imposing on themselves as a pretext. Of course, there is the risk of scandal but life is not a peaceful journey either. Because of their doubts and insecurities the situation is frozen. Irene does not want to try to date. Mino does not want to try to persuade her.

And yet, she wants to be with him and he wants her near him too.

 

 

 

A/N:

Sorry for the wait my lovely readers, here some minrene<3

It has been two months since last update, so sorry, I had a bit of a writer block. I'll update when I can since I have university.

Peace,

-wanderingmood