The Investigation

Virtual Reality: Fantasia ZERO

How come this fantasy game can be this brutal? 

Jungkook looked down at the ground with massive puddles of thick red blood. Limbs had scattered everywhere. Jungkook covered his mouth as he felt like vomitting but nothing really came out. Tsu Ki was fast to go to his master's side before patting Jungkook's back. As someone who wasn't really a human or basically an NPC programmed just programmed for the game, Tsu Ki can't really say anything about the game's dark secrets. Jungkook couldn't help himself but to retreat from the brutal scene. Even though he was a very strong player, his mind couldn't take all unpleasant happenings. 

Jimin had finally got out of Astaroth. Using an auto-trace on Jungkook, he determined his friend's location. He found Jungkook sitting on a rotten bench in a depressed position. Jimin quietly approached his friend as Tsu Ki took notice of the male mage.

tumblr_ne2aa9HAHJ1s3fk9wo1_500.png

 Jimin was hiding in an avatar to hide his extravagant robe that who knows how much it costed him. Truthfully speaking, Park Jimin was at the 2nd rank of mages. Overall including other classes, he was on the 5th rank.

"Tsu Ki, what happened?" he questioned as he occupied the space beside Jungkook who still quiet.

Tsu Ki was about to open up his mouth but Jungkook raised his hand on him. 'You're asking a game program...?' He asked Jimin on his mind.

"Let's leave Valhalla."

"Not when you explain what happened to you." Jimin protested. His friend being grim was a big deal to him. It must be something very serious. "...and that cut on your face. It can't be a facial avatar isn't?"

'It's still on my face...?'  Jungkook was bewildered inside but his face showed a different expression. "Just don't ask anymore. Please." Jimin felt pity on the other male. He gave up on his curiosity and teleported the both of them the Sky Garden of Valkyries. 

Floating Lands Environment

The said place was a floating island. The Sky Garden was famous for players for refuge. Every corner, there were players recovering their HPs after fighting mobs they couldn't take on. The highest place was Jungkook and Jimin's spot. The Sky Garden of Valkyries were the total opposite of Valhalla as it features were really refreshing and soothing. 

The two had sat on the grass while Tsu Ki still preferred standing by the trunk of a tree. There was a moment of silence until Jungkook broke it off. "Don't come to Valhalla, Hel, Tartarus and the maps after those."

'Just what happened, Jeon Jungkook...' Jimin thought but decided to kept quiet and nodded on the boy.

Jungkook put his middle finger and index finger together and pulled downwards before the main menu window popped out below his eye level. He tapped on the Quest.

Jimin turned his gaze on Jungkook's quest window, guessing he already finished the special quest of job change. Jimin was about to congratulate Jungkook but...

He saw Jungkook gave up on the quest after tapping on the Abandon button. 

"H-Hey... What did you just do..." Jimin grabbed Jungkook by his broad shoulders, "You only have 2 fragments left...!" 

Jungkook gave him a poker face. The man in front of him was probably out of his mind, Jimin thought.

"That way the map of Valhalla will be disabled on my character until I get the quest again."

Jimin let go of Jungkook confused. A little while, Jungkook tapped on the Log out button without saying a proper goodbye to Jimin. 

Jungkook's sight turned black but reality welcomed him again after seconds. His stomach suddenly twisted. Jungkook quickly removed the NerveGear from his face and ran hastily to the bathroom in his bedroom. He vomitted for real at the white porcelain sink. He cleaned up and washed his face after. He examined his face at the mirror as the memories of the ghouls entered his mind again. He threw up once again. 


[The next morning]

You didn't need any alarm clocks for you had an internal clock in you. Soryu immediately flew to you and asked about breakfast you would want to eat and... for the sleeping guy on the other room. You jumped out of the bed as it automatically fixed its own on a cleaner state. You lazily sat on the couch with eyes that barely opened. You were about to open the television when you remembered you have to wake up a freeloader in your house. You couldn't help but to grumble while walking to the other room. You twisted the doorknob without knocking. What? This was your house after all.

You found the freeloader A.K.A Yook Sungjae on the bed, sleeping with his mouth opened. As lazy as you can be, you walked over to the boy to... sleep at the free space beside him in an ungirly way.

You slept at 1 AM and you didn't know why your mind wake up you at 6. You have a work at 7 and there was you, sleeping like a dead person. Your hand slowly reached for Sungjae then smacking your palm on his forehead hard to wake the out of the boy. 

"Sungjae..." you mumbled, "Wake up..." 

"... You ... I'm definitely gonna throw you to the window for this..." Sungjae groaned while sitting up then caressing his forehead that you just hit. 

He turned his eyes at the girl beside him who was lying on her back and stealing the blanket that was suppose to be his. "You stayed up 'til dawn because you didn't want my help then you disturbed my sleep then you'll sleep on me?" Sungjae's face wasn't pleased. "Don't sleep and get ready for work, woman." 

"Five minutes..." you managed to say. 

Sungjae ruffled his hair then hopped out of the bed. He stood by the bed topless due to the heater being an last night. He was sweating like hell by the night.  Sungjae stood by the bed on his shirtless form as he only wore a grey sweatpants on his sleep. photo BYtAmMPCYAA4dTQ_zpseb190fab.jpgHe slept on your house for the meantime because he forgot to reserve a hotel room which was very stupid of him according to you. Sungjae placed one knee on the bed then picked you up to carry you on his back. You didn't seem to struggle because you look like you were already in dreamland. Your rival brought you down on the white sofa before you slowly fell on your side. 

Sungjae chuckled. He thought that you look like the girl from the grudge with your hair gathered on your face. He leaned closer and put your smooth hair to the side where he can see your face clearly. Sungjae reminded himself that this girl was the same person that beat him on the ranking. This harmless looking girl that lived up to the saying "Don't just the book by its cover".

Sungjae went to the kitchen to search for Soryu. He saw the AI fused herself on the cooking utensils as the tools moved on their own. Sungjae planned to assist the little holo fairy, but he realized the little fairy didn't need any help. Sungjae waited on the dining table while doing some police work... with his phone.


You and Sungjae arrived at SPD 10 minutes late. You got a good earful from your superior about being punctual and blah blah. Sungjae left you for a while to visit the higher ups at the 17th floor whilst you did your own job on your desk. Across you sat Inspector Jeon who was rarely quiet today. You wanted to thank him for the game he suggested and about Jungkook being his nephew, but the old man wasn't even paying attention to you.

An hour later, a hostage-taking had occured. You were included in to deliver enforcement. You could say you failed 1/4 at the capture of the hostage takers; one hostage was killed. You took out your frustration to the shooting range located at the 4th basement. Doing this kind of thing helped you to relax. Your firing skills had improved a lot. Your reloading speed record was 0.93 seconds. Your stance was perfect as well. Any little girl would admire you and aim to be like you someday. Your bullets were piercing through the targets. Exactly 9 rounds from the Desert Eagle Pistol, you ripped the target paper in half. You were still up for the next round until a police-in-training arrived to inform you about something.

You took notice of the boy and lowered down your gun. "Yes?"

"Ms. Jung, you are needed at the main conference room. Please hurry up." 

You didn't question him why for all you know that main conference room were for heavy crimes.

You left the shooting equipments on the counter and hurried to the meeting room at the 3rd floor. After two months of hiatus from long-term cases, a new one was officially acknowledge. You halted on front of the door of the conference room and slowly opened it. The meeting hadn't started yet. Your eyes quickly searched for someone you were really close. Someone you don't really expect saved you from that.

photo APPCROP_lecture7_4926572_ver10_640_480_zps0ac0b103.jpg

" You !" a very familiar young man waved his hand at you on the air from the second level from the back.

Your face brightened in a flash. Excitement built up inside as you saw that guy you were really fond of. You ran as fast as you can to that man and hugged him tightly as he returned back your warm cuddle. "Hoseokie!" you squealed on the hug.

Jung Hoseok was your cousin who works an Enforcer at Jeolla. He was formerly working at Incheon, but he preferred to become an officer where his parents lived.

"Ah, don't call me that here. I'm Enforcer Jung today." said Hoseok.

"I'm Enforcer Jung as well." the two of you giggled and let go of each other.

"It's been a while. How have you been?" he asked as he sat on the chair meant for him to occupy. You noticed that the seat behind him was yours. 

"I'm fine, obviously still alive and kicking. You?" 

"Things were getting more peaceful at Jeolla. You won't believe that I can even laze around the office for a week."

"Really? No wonder you look very handsome now." you stated as a matter of fact. 

Hoseok didn't say anything narcissistic but... 

tumblr_nhtkybKtp11ttquk7o1_500.gif

...that gesture was enough to tell you, "I'm already handsome since birth." 

"By the way, have you seen Sungjae?" you suddenly realized it was a stupid question to ask. Does Hoseok even know Sungjae?

Hoseok was now scratching his neck, recollecting some memories if he knew that guy. Does he?

"...Oh! Yook Sungjae of Daegu? Yeah." Hoseok worked with Sungjae on the past once when he was still working at Incheon. "He's there." your cousin pointed at the black-haired boy whose back facing at you. Sungjae was seated second level below. "I feel bad for him because the investigation hasn't started yet but he's already told to work on it."

"I see..." your voice became into a whisper. 

Hoseok reached for your head and patted it gently, "Go to him." he motioned his head, telling you to go now. You gave him a nod. 

You ran down the aisle and towards to Sungjae who was terribly getting a headache. You felt bad as you saw him pressing the ends of his palm to his forehead and grabbing on his hair. Sungjae was holding papers that got the details for the investigation. You found the seat next to him was empty so you took the chance to sit there. 

"Sungjae?" you called, quiet enough not to disturb him badly. He didn't seem to take notice of you until you said his name.

Sungjae's eyes separated from the papers and turned his gaze at you, "Oh, You . 'Sup?" You suddenly felt an urge to punch him on the face for faking that gentle smile, but you forced yourself not to.

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this..." you apologized with your head down low.

Sungjae left the papers at his table and lifted your chin up, "I actually accepted the request myself." he reassured you with a childish grin. "The Daegu Police is already involved in this."

"But still..." 

'Ah... she's really cute when she thinks it's her fault.' Sungjae helplessly thought.

"No more apologizing." he simply said that effectively prevented you from speaking more.

You went back to your seat immediately when the announcer declared the beginning of the meeting. The S-CSIT (Seoul's Crime Investigation Team) was seated at the farthest back, then proceeded by the Jeolla Police, then Incheon Police, then Daegu Police, Busan Police, Gwangu Police then at the very front was the Daejeon Police. The lights around the conference room turned off, only leaving the lights from the side LED lights and the giant screen at the front. You noticed some people you don't really know at your left. They were wearing casual attires that were very different from the Police Officers wearing formal apparels.

A young red-haired scientist walked up to the stage and to the podium. It was Do Kyungsoo. You worked with him twice. He was quite an anti-social person who was very dedicated to his work. Kyungsoo started the meeting with gratitude speeches, but he was a straight to the point type of person so he directly introduced the crime.

The Unknown Insanity.

"All of the victims lost their minds because of the game, Fantasia Zero." the cover image of the game appeared on the screen. You were in a great shock when Kyungsoo mentioned the game's name. You tried to tell yourself that it wasn't the game you play and the game coincidentally had the same name, but the image on the screen proved you wrong. "Yesterday, we have a latest victim. 21th to be exact. The case started a month ago." 

An image of a boy and his information was shown on the screen, "The first was Song Kyu Jong. 17 years old from Jung-gu. The victim was reported to be in rage at his school's cafeteria. He was found holding a kitchen knife and eventually killed 12 students and wounded 5 students." you felt your chest tightened when you saw the 12 students lying on the floor with multiple stabs. Some limbs were separated from the bodies.

Kyungsoo had explained every bit of details of the twenty-one victims, mentally disturbing almost every people in the room with the brutal incidents. There were beheadings, tortures and serial-killings and most of the victims were underage.

You wanted to throw up but your body refused to. You found yourself rooted on your seat as you can't move a single muscle. 

You finally gathered the courage to speak up, "Kyungsoo-sshi." you raised your hand, unintentionally getting the attention of all the people.

"Yes, Enforcer Jung?"

"I'm a player of Fantasia Zero though just the other day. I didn't see any reason why would they turn insane. I mean the game isn't anything serious. The game mainly focuses on battles, but it isn't that brutal. You kill the monsters and they just disappear without a trace." 

Somewhere around the room, a boy looked at you in worry. You don't know a single clue. 

"That's why I invited Fantasia Zero players here to explain how things worked out in the game as your game level increases." Kyungsoo admitted. The people on casual clothes were the players. "Not just players, but those on the TOP 10."


 

...and I just have to cut it right there! xD By Top 10 players... do you know now who can be in the conference room? OuO