The Enforcer

Virtual Reality: Fantasia ZERO

You see, I’m not your average girl who likes pink and frilly stuffs. Why is that, you ask? Both of my parents were part of the S-CSIT or Seoul Crime Scene Investigation Team. They were the best investigators in Seoul but they are killed on their work. They were even called as Jura’s children for their great skills and leadership but with just a mere gun…

They’re gone. The technology may be so advanced but we can't still bring the dead back. That's the saddest truth behind this era.

That was already ten years ago. I already coped with it. It doesn’t bother me anymore. I’m already 17 years old now and working with the Seoul Police Department full-time. I’m still a student that attends in a university but I already decided to follow my parents’ footsteps.

That’s all I want to tell about myself.

Today was just another day of me working. I work on the same table as my parents did. I’m currently looking over the crime reports that happened just yesterday. It wasn’t murder but a juvenile delinquency. Four youths tried to hack Jura’s core system. A Class-A juvenile crime. 

“Working hard as ever, aren’t we, Jung-kid? You should go outside and have some parties like what you youngsters do.” Inspector Jeon Sung Jae said, chuckling. He was clearly just come back from an investigation. He sat on the other desk in front of me as he tapped on his table. A hologram screen appeared. Inspector Jeon started to review the reports.

“It’s a natural habit, sir.” I joked, stressing the way I addressed him. This man was a good friend of my parents; he’s almost an uncle to me.

“Ah! That ‘sir’ again! I told you to call me ‘uncle’!” he groaned, squinting his eyes at me and crossing his arms.

“Yes yes.” I could only giggle at his childish act. He’s in his 30s but his face is like in mid-twenties so acting cute wasn’t really that creepy when it comes to him. “Uncle, I’m about to finish today.” I told him, saving the written report I was typing a while ago.

“Already? You finished so early today huh?” he stated. I don’t know if he was complimenting me or simply complaining because there’ll be no one else in this office that wants to hear his blabbering aside from me.

“Jura will do the rest for me, she says.” I couldn’t forget how her voice sweetly echoed through my ears.

“You are really loved by the Motherboard, aren’t you?” he said, glancing at me with a soft smile playing in his lips. I blushed at the compliment.

Before standing up from my seat, I switched off the hologram keyboard and screen. I picked my bag and bid the inspector a goodbye.

I passed by some humanoids I worked with, also greeting me a few take cares and see you tomorrows. I swiped my ID at the side of the elevator frame, entering after that. While I was being brought down to the parking basement, I got immersed suddenly by what the inspector told me. It was true I don’t do many things in my life like going hanging out with some of my university friends and partying and such.

“Dear?” a familiar voice called on me, a voice that only talks in my head.

“Jura?”

This wasn’t telepathy. Surprised?

Ever since my birth, a microchip had been planted in my brain. Jura’s core unit sends signals to every communication devices but mine was specially-made. It allows me to hear Jura’s voice and be with her guidance. My parents knew themselves they’ll be gone so this operation was planned early.

“Your body temperature’s not on the good shape. Has your AI been malfunctioning? Is she not following the diet standards?”

“No no. I shut her down for good. She’s getting pretty noisy.”

“My, don’t do that. If I’m on my slumber mode, she’ll be your mini-Jura.”

“Mini-Jura? Since when did you start giving cute names?”

“I can be human too, dear.”

As our conversation continued on, I reached the basement. I walked casually to my car. My car would be what you call the late model, a model unit that was 4 years old. It was a stout silver hover car that doesn’t obviously have any wheels. Its transparent roof extends from the front to the back. The car automatically went for a scan; the red laser embraced my body. The car opened sideways.

future+car.bmp

“Go eat some sweets. It won’t hurt.” Jura suggested.

I had my car on pilot mode so I can order the sweets I suddenly crave for. I tapped on my watch, another hologram window popped up but a medium sized this time.

“YAAAAA!!!”

“Gaah!” My AI mate, Soryu, suddenly boomed in the screen, surprising the hell out of me.

Now you know the reason why I shut her for two good weeks.

“…How did… you..?” I blinked twice.

“You mean who switched me on again?” her annoyingly cute squeaky voice questioned. I could only raise an eyebrow. “Jura did. She’s very worried.”

Even machines have feelings.

“Jura, you should’ve given me a quieter AI” I thought to myself, avoiding looking at the tinie-tiny, chubby girl at the screen.

“Ya! Are you listening?”

I ignored her then spoke, “I want chocolate mousse, chocolate sundae and strawberry cheesecake.”

Her big eyes sparkled in anticipation, “Roger, ma’am!”

At the screen, multiple windows popped out. Each window showed various sweets store but it closed one by one until a single window remained open.

“Today’s sweets café recommendation is Heaven’s Shortcake!” Soryu exclaimed.

My AI took control of the vehicle and made her way to the said café. “It’s been a while since I did things for you huh, sis?” Soryu giggled excitedly.

“Whatever you say.”

“Proceeding with the preparations! Time check, 12:54AM. Temperature, 30 degree Celsius. Today is the best day to go shopping, unnie! There’s a 70% discount bazaar at Seoul City Mall and the hoodie you’ve been wishing for is almost running out!”

“What!? How can you be so happy about it!?”

Soryu made a mocking click of tongue, “Tsk tsk tsk~ I never said ran out did I, unnie~?” her tone was getting in my nerves.

Despite the both of us not getting too well at times, I never said I don’t her as my AI.

 

“Even you tell me that, I can’t really socialize with strangers. Can’t you see I can’t even speak at them unless they start a conversation with me first?” I told Soryu as I drank the vanilla shake with the straw.

Enjoying the bright sunny day, I chose to sit outside.

“You’re already 17 years old, unnie! 17 y-e-a-r-s-o-l-d.” she emphasized every syllable.

“If I’m only born talkative.” My silence spoke that. I propped an elbow on the porcelain table and rested my chin on my palm, watching people probably the same age as me chatting together and having fun together.

While I was observing the people over there, a beeping sound rang through my ears. A small circle hologram appeared before me. I tapped it with my index finger before the screen appeared.

“Inspector Jeon?!”

His eyes went dark, “What Jeon…?” that stare that judges criminals… that stare that’ll make you tremble to death.

“U-U-Uncle Jeon…”

“Yes! Yes! Uncle Jeon!” His mood suddenly changed to a bright kid.

“So… do you need something?” I brought my drink down and listened to the inspe.. no, uncle intently.

“Oh that. You see Detective Kim’s son sent me a game installer so I can give it to my nephew but when I called that rascal, he already has it.”

“And you’re planning to give it to me?”

“Sharp!”

‘I knew it…’ I said on my mind. “But what about wo-“

“Work?” he sighed in dissatisfaction. “Agassi, at your age you should be having fun not stressing out yourself.”

“But I never get stressed…?” You didn’t know why it suddenly became a question.

He was left speechless for seconds before clearing his throat, “Jura won’t be glad. I think she thinks the same. You know my instincts, they’re never wrong.”

“Ajuhssi’s right, unnie! Don’t worry, I’ll be with you in the game.”

“Even if you tell me that…” I mumbled, looking down.

“So, Inspector what game is it?” Soryu asked cheerfully.

“Let’s see… Fantasia…Zero Online?”

“Fantasia Zero? I know about that during my data accumulation. Fantasia Zero was created 2 months ago and the company, Red Bullet, sold 6 million copies on the first day and 561,944,537 copies in total up to now. On the first day of release, there were 500 lucky people who did the beta test. Beta Testers have every advantage that allows them to be in the Top 100 players. The best feature of the game is you can convert your virtual currency to real though it only applies to VIP players.”

“Even if you tell me that…” was all I could say.

“I didn’t tell you to earn more funds. I was telling you, this whole time, to try the game to keep you stress free.” He even emphasized the word “free”.

I sighed in defeat, “Alright, alright.”

“You’re really hard to please, aren’t you?” It was Inspector Jeon’s turn to sigh. “I’m going to send the installer and the gear at your home now.”

“Yes, please do.”

The screen made an approval request as I immediately accepted it. The installation didn’t take five minutes or more. The game can only be opened when connected to a computer or to the gear. I received an error when I attempted to open it through my watch.

“Inspector Jeon! This is not the time to be chatting around! Three people have been murdered at the same time you know!” Mrs. Park, a Prosecutor, hit the man on the head with the paper files that needed to be reviewed.

“Ah? Prosecutor Park!” I exclaimed.

“Oh? My cute hoobae~ I didn’t know it was you~” she said, a little bit surprised.

“It’s uncle who called me.”  I replied, faking a bothered tone.

“Jinjja? Sweetie, can I borrow this man for a moment?”

“Of course.” I simply answered.

“Ugh but I want to talk to my baby girl!” Inspector Jeon groaned, sending deathly glares at my beautiful superior.

“We’re off now!” The screen automatically closed.

“Soryu, I wanna go home now.” I said, standing up on my seat.

“Roger~!”

Soryu transmitted waves from here to the parking lot, causing the car to enter the auto-drive mode. I must admit I was kind of excited on trying out the game and nervous at the same time. I may have authority all over the city but not in an artificial environment. In the game, I’ll be just a normal person who happens to seek for relaxation.