The Plague

Virtual Reality: Fantasia ZERO

Jungkook arrived at SoPa (School of Performing Arts in Seoul) three hours and a half late because he went home from the prison to get changed to his uniform. His homeroom teacher wasn't answering his calls that caused him to panic about having an absent on his attendance record. Bad luck was on Jungkook's side today. His car ran out of power so he used his old rocket-style hoverboard that saved him from his dilemma. His classmates threw surprised and judging looks at him because they thought that Jungkook was the last person they'll ever see coming late at school. Jungkook had missed three subjects when he arrived at Arts subject midway. He was glad it was just a lecture and not an activity.

Jungkook was aiming for the school's best.

Break had come as Jeon Jungkook took all of his stress at the hallway. He was leaning sidewards by the floor to ceiling window while staring down at the grassy field below. So many things happened yesterday.

A friend of Jungkook named Park Jimin came out from the same classroom a minute later and approached his stressed friend. He gave Jungkook a slightly hard pat on the back.

"Why?" That one word contained thousands of questions. Jimin patiently waited for Jungkook to reply. He thought his friend wasn't up for a conversation at the moment.

"I never expected in my whole life that I'll be accused for an A-Class crime." Jungkook wanted to kick on the glass window and shout from the top of his lungs and to his heart's content.

"But you got out of it. That's all that matters." Jimin reassured the other.

"Seriously..." Pinching the bridge of his nose was all he can do.

"Your record is still clean, dude."

"I know, I know. Let me copy your notes later."

"Sure."

Jungkook and Jimin bought a lot of snacks since there'll be no next period after the break. The teacher wasn't present. The two males were seated at the farthest back at the corner beside the window where Jimin seated on Jungkook's front. The class had one hour and thirty minute break. Junk foods flooded Jungkook's desk. Jimin was sitting backwards, facing the back supporter of the chair.

"Are you gonna go hunting again later? I heard the item drop percent will increase three times for two hours." Jimin said while chewing on the sweet and sour potato chips.

"Yeah. I won't be able to reach for the strongest class if I can't find that fragment. I still have ten more left."

"I already gave up being a Soul Arbiter. I think Dimension Controller's are way more powerful that SAs." Jimin shrugged his shoulders. He was the same as Jungkook who was also reaching for the top but gave up on it when Jimin heard bad rumors about Soul Arbiters. Soul Arbiters are the strongest type of mages where they use a scythe-like staff. Dimension Controllers were a level below SAs. 

dimensioncontroller.jpg

Unlike the typical types of mages that uses weapons, DCs use their bare hands. 

"Speaking of mages..." Jungkook mumbled as memories entered his mind.

"Yeah?" 

"I met one of a hell feisty mage."

"Is that mage in the top 5? or cross-sever ranker?"

"She's just a newbie."

"A newbie? What's the big deal? Kicked your on her first day?"

"It's the opposite. I saved her rear."

"Wow~ A knight in shining armor~" Jimin teased while playfully smacking Jungkook's broad shoulder repeatedly.

"I'm a gunslinger, alright?" There he go again...

The smirk on Jimin's face faded quickly then facepalming himself. This kid is too evil that it hurts.

"She was in charge of me at the prison."

"Wait, wait. So in summary, the rookie mage girl you saved at the game turns out to be a police officer in real life?"

"Exactly."

"She saved your then."

"Not really." 

"Then who?"

"I'll give him a call. I didn't thanked him properly."

With the help of the special lenses he invented; Jungkook got to know that guy's number, but he still asked for permission to save it on his. Jungkook swiped on the hologram screen coming out from his watch. He had too many contact numbers that reminded him to install a search pane next time and finally, he saw the right person he wanted to talk. He lightly tapped on the named and on the 'Call' button. It wasn't an ordinary call, but a video call. The calling icon stayed on his screen for seconds though at the fourth ring, the guy finally picked it up.

"Hello?" 

"Sungjae-hyung!" It was Yook Sungjae. You know him.

 

luxury-cafe-lounge-room-18851739.jpg

In the screen, Jungkook could clearly see his hyung being in a lounge room.

"Oh, Jung-gun~" They became close at a short period of time because Sungjae was an all-around guy. He was two years older than Jungkook.

"I haven't thanked you properly. Thank you."

"Sure, kid~"

"Hyung, where's You   ?" Jimin quickly shuffled beside Jungkook by the mention of your name.

"Sitting pretty here across me~" said Sungjae in a tone that annoyed you so much.

"Shut it, Sungjae. I'm trying to focus here don't bother me!" Jungkook saw Sungjae being attack by a piece of crumpled paper to his face but he caught it coolly. 

"Why is she such in a bad mood?" Jungkook whispered, trying his best not to be heard by you.

"Probably mad about I did the job for her or she's preparing for a law debate tomorrow. I don't know." Sungjae explained, stealing a glance from you. 

"I doubt she'll lose. Her tongue is a knife."

"Indeed. Wow~ you know her that much don't you, Jung-gun~?"

"Well... uh... through a game."

"Alright. So anyway, is there still something you need or to  You  ?" 

"Please let me see You  ."

"Right on~" Sungjae's hologram flipped to the opposite  before showing the busy you with papers and a pen. Sungjae knew you're deadly serious if you're doing everything manually without technology. 

... but Jungkook had the guts to get your attention, " You  !

"Jeon Jungkook, I swear I'll be with myself at the game if you don't have anything good to say." your face wasn't really pleased.

"I haven't say anything yet." On the other side of the line, Sungjae was suddenly dumbfounded.

"Just saying." you returned to your work.

"Good luck. Don't overwork yourself or else I have to do that again. Bye!"

"I hate you." you said.

"Bye, hyung! Thank you again."

"Don't mention it." said Sungjae with a smiley face before ending the call. 

Jimin silently went back to his seat then sitting on the same position. Once he sat down, he suddenly facepalmed.

"What now?" Jungkook raised an eyebrow at him after turning off the screen. 

"...I thought she's a middle-aged woman..." Jimin confessed embarrassedly, burying his face on his palms.

"... you kidding me?"

"... and why your other guy friend is a big time..." Jimin questioned in a soulless tone.

"You mean Sungjae-hyung? He's a big time?" Jungkook blinked innocently. He doesn't know a thing about Yook Sungjae.

"Idiot." Jimin facepalmed again. His friend was such a clueless airhead. "He's the freaking Black Fox of Daegu!" the baby-faced dude exclaimed, luring the attention of all of his classmates.

"Are you talking about Sungjae-oppa?!" a girl classmate of them squealed.

"I'm going to visit Daegu this vacation to see Sungjae-oppa!" another girl bragged.

'I think Sungjae-hyung will be able to relate with my life as a fellow guy...' Jungkook thought helplessly.


 

Sungjae wasn't doing anything but he wasn't bored. He was watching you like a romance movie as his elbow propped on the table and his chin on his palm.90f53034c1616dfa You weren't paying attention to him because of your great concentration. You need to win the debate no matter what. You didn't want to fail your subordinates.

" You , I can lend you a hand just say so." Sungjae offered in concern.

"This got nothing to do with the Daegu Police. I can handle this. I'll definitely shut up that Incheon Chief." even your mouth can be too harsh, it still sounded good to his ears.

Sungjae reached for your hair and gently tucked fallen strands behind your ear, "That's my rival." 


[5 hours later]

Jungkook came home worn out; throwing his bag somewhere on the corners and slumping at his bed. He practiced a dance routine with Jimin two hours straight. It was already 5:48PM. He'll meet with Jimin in the game at 6 after eating dinner. 

While Jungkook was lying on his back, he felt his watch vibrate as it was in silent mode. 

1.jpg

He got a message. On his screen, your name showed. Jungkook opened the message as a small hologram screen slide to the left side.

The message read: 

"I think I won't be able to come back to the game today. Maybe next week. I'm going to be busy so enjoy your time without me. Take care of Yu Me if that's possible."

Jungkook felt weird. He didn't know what to feel at the moment, but he was sure of something; he was disappointed. Probably because he was looking forward to join him in his game even he didn't want you to be his support.

'A week is too long for me...'  he said to himself with a deep sigh.

Jungkook suddenly lost his appetite. He engaged in the game after wearing the NerveGear. His character was immediately logged in the save point which was in Valhalla. Jungkook was suppose to meet with Jimin but his friend doesn't seem to be logged in yet so he stayed at the dark city for the meantime. 

the_dark_ages_by_jonasdero-d55wvrb.jpg

The city of Valhalla was very dark and gloomy. It only had one weather and was never sunny. No NPC looked very bright; There was a quest NPC as a wounded soldier; Mathias, a tamed demon; Alucard, a psycho woman; Gie, a gargoyle in human form and such. Jungkook was currently standing behind a black street lamp with his back pressed on the pole and his arms crossed. Tsu Ki was silently standing beside his master. The male spirit couldn't figure out the reason behind Jungkook's silentness. Tsu Ki thought that there was nothing to worry about the monsters outside the city for his master can kill them with a flick of his finger.

Jungkook had checked the time. It was already 6:15PM and Jimin was 15 minutes late. A few moments later, Jimin sent him a private message saying he was stuck in the map of Astaroth because of a bug and he also told Jungkook to go without him and he'll catch up somehow. Jungkook didn't try to get Jimin out of Astaroth, knowing he'll get stuck as well.

Jungkook had moved to the battlefield without making any conversation or tactics with his spirit. The two were heading to a graveyard. 

 

The duo encountered ghouls, the human flesh-eating monsters, in their maximum horrifying appearance that can make any coward wet their pants. Their appearance were too hideous to be true yet so realistic. It bothered him to the point he get startled by them when they would attempt to jump at him. The ghouls were fast on their movements too but not as fast as the gunslinger.

As smart as he was, he noticed something about the maps.

The design of the hunting areas were getting intimidating as the level increases. It made him forget that he started at a lively, bright, harmless city.

"Jungkook! Watch out!!!" Tsuki warned the boy. 

He couldn't use his immortal body to become his master's shield because of the persistent ghouls keeping his hands full. A ghoul launched an attack at Jungkook with a sharp sickle, leaving a deep cut on Jungkook's cheek. He was fast to withdraw away from the monster then fired bullets at the ghoul, making the body full of holes then exploding to too much blood. It was the last ghoul to exertiminate. They need to wait for twenty minutes for the ghouls to respawn once again. Jungkook slid his guns back to their holsters then touching his wounded cheek.

"...blood?" he asked himself as he slowly lowered his hand. His middle and index finger were coated with blood. 

That triggered something inside him...

There was something off...


Below the main floor of SPD; on the 30th basement, 30 floors underground, there was a vast laboratory where only chosen people work inside. 

laboratory_by_sebastianwagner-d6c2gei.jp

An "unknown" crime was occuring. An crime you don't know. An crime a secret as well to the Black Fox.

"Isn't this the 20th victim already?" a young redhead forensic scientist named Do Kyungsoo, the head of the Forensic Team, inspected a fifteen year old boy restrained on a bed with black leather belts around his body, eyes and mouth. tumblr_static_kyungsoo.png

"21th to be precise, sir." answered his assistant, checking the list he was holding.

"Give me the details." Kyungsoo demanded. 

"The victim's name is Lee Seo Ji, 15 years old. Victim is found in his house stabbing and slashing his little sister repeatedly with a knife. He was heard calling his little sister was a succubus. We've confirmed that Lee Seo Ji was playing that game before the occurence of the murder. It also had succubus mentioned by the victim."

"Where did his bruises and cuts came from? Self-defense from the murdered?" Kyungsoo examined the large cut that started from the upper arm to the boy's wrist.

"There was no sign of the deceased sibling holding any weapon. We didn't find any fingerprints on all sharp objects around the house that can leave the similar wounds." 

"This kind of mystery just started a month ago. This needs a serious investigation. This isn't just a coincidence."

"Shall I make a call to the best investigators?"

"I think we'll also need ITs and... hackers and gamers."


 

 

Ooooohhh~ it started~ if you read the description, you'll know what started~

A new major character appeared~! DO KYUNGSOOOO~! *updates character section*