Visit to the Doctor

Unwanted Reunion


 

Finally, the both of them reached Jaejoong's sister's clinic in the country. Jaejoong parked the car in the open-air carpark. He got out first to assist Changmin in sliding out.

Changmin got out and looked around him, only to be dismayed by what he saw.

"What's wrong?"

"Stairs," he answered, eyes narrowing accusingly at the cause of his irritation, "Lots of stairs."

Jaejoong looked over his shoulder to see the winding mess of stairs on a hill leading to his sister's clinic.

"Hyung, my legs are hurting pretty badly. It will take forever for me to climb those stairs." Changmin pouted at the stairs, annoyed by their very presence.

Jaejonng chuckled and got down. "Here," he said, "Ride on my back. I'll give you a lift."

Changmin shook his head. "Don't be silly, Hyung."

Jaejoong laughed in response. "Just get on. It'll be fine."

The younger of the two finally relented, and got on his hyung's back. Carefully, so as to not aggravate any injuries, Jaejoong climbed the stairs. He was silently pleased as he felt Changmin's weight on his back. Changmin was getting heavier, which was a good thing. It meant that he was eating properly. Changmin rested his head on Jaejoong's shoulder, as the two of them climbed the stairs. Or rather, Jaejoong did, while Changmin tried his best to not fall asleep to the comfortable pattern of Jaejoong's breathing and the slight bounces everytime a step was taken.

"Hey hyung," Changmin began, "Remember that time nine years ago when you stole my first kiss from me when I was asleep and then boasted about it on the radio?"

Jaejoong laughed. "Yeah, of course. You wouldn't speak to me for a week after that. Why? Anything particular that made you remember that incident right now?"

Changmin got down from his back, as they had reached the entrance to the clinic. Jaejoong had turned around to look Changmin in the eye as he asked the question.

Suddenly, Changmin grabbed both sides of Jaejoong's face and brought the older one's face closer to him. Their faces were so close to each other that their lips almost touched. Changmin closed the distance between them by planting a kiss on Jaejoong's lips. Jaejoong was too surprised to react.

They stayed like that for five seconds before Changmin pulled away, a cheeky grin pasted on his face as he looked at Jaejoong.

"PSYCH!" Min proclaimed, laughing out loud, "I finally got my revenge."

Jaejoong was rooted on the spot, too shocked to react.

"YES YES YES!! Finally, after suffering in silence for nine long years, I, Shim Changmin, have gotten my revenge!! Oh, and how sweet it is!! You should've seen the look on---"

Changmin stopped his self-congratulatory speech when Jaejoong came and pinched the life out of both his cheeks.

"AH AH AH!! Apa apa apa!!" Changmin yelled in pain, waving his arms manicly.

"Yah! SHIM CHANGMIN!! How dare you do that to me!!" Jaejoong scolded, pinching Changmin's cheek's harder, "Do you know how precious and expensive my lips are??!! Do you know how much anyone, guy or girl, is willing to pay just to touch these gorgeous lips of mine?!"

"Ah ah ah!!" Changmin continued yelling, "Apa apa apa!! Umma that's were Appa hit me! It hurts!! Let go, let go, let go!! I'm sorry I'm sorry! I won't do that again!! Shim Changmin is sorry, he's sorry!!"

Jaejoong immediately let go, not wanting to hurt him anymore. Changmin grumbled as he rubbed both of his painful cheeks, a pout forming.

Right at that moment, the doctor stepped outside to see what the commotion was all about.

"YAH!! Kim Jaejoong!! What do you think you're doing to that poor boy? I've told you a million times over not to bully him, haven't I?!"

Jaejoong turned around to look at his sister. Han Jaera was almost a splitting image of him, although she had a softer jawline and people wouldn't doubt her .

"I wasn't bullying him, Jaera Noona!"

Being the youngest of nine siblings, plus being the only boy, Jaejoong was constantly teased and bullied by his sisters.

"YAH! Kim Jaejoong! Is that how you react to my presence?! We haven't seen each other for three whole months and the first thing you do is yell at me!"

Jaejoong playfully stuck his tongue out at her. He knew he could get away with it. He was their one and only baby brother after all.

"YAH! Come here and give your Noona a hug, you little brat!"

Jaejoong smiled, before running towards her. "Jaera noona~~!!"

Jaera, six months pregnant and struggling to even touch her own toes, easily caught her baby brother in a hug. She spun him around in a way an over excited mother would.

Jaera was the oldest child,  having a large age difference of fifteen years with Jaejoong. Of course she would be the one who babyed him the most.

She let go of him to take a proper look at her baby brother.

"You've lost weight," she glared accusingly.

Jaejoong nodded. No use arguing with a doctor.

"How much?"

Jaejoong tilted his head, thinking. "Um... About eight kilos I guess."

His sister tsked disapprovingly. "Looks like I'll have to feed you again." She peered over Jaejoong's shoulder to see Changmin walking towards them.

"Changmin shi!" she yelled in greeting, "Long time no see!"

Min smiled at her. "You look fat, Doctor." he said bluntly.

"Yah!" she chuckled, and came to hug him.

"Good to see you too, Jaera noona-nim." Changmin tried not to wince as Jaera's protruding stomache hit his own bruised one. He hoped she hadn't noticed, but of course, being the doctor that she was, her eagle eyes detected everything.

"You're here for a check-up, Changmin shi?" she asked, being careful not too touch him too roughly now.

Changmin nodded.

"Please come in, then."

They entered the clinic, which was empty because it was so late at night.

"I'm sorry for coming in so late at night and causing you such inconvinience, Noona," Jaejoong apologized.

Jaera waved it away. "It's fine, Jaejoong. Doctor's job." She gestured at a chair beside her desk. "Now tell me what's the problem."

"Someone beat him up pretty badly," Jaejoong said bluntly.

Changmin's heart raced at Jaejoong's statement. Was he going to break his promise and tell her what actually happened? His eyes clouded over in fear. Jaera pretended not to notice it.

"Hmm..." she said to herself as she placed a hand under Changmin's chin, making the boy look up at her. She could feel his rapid heartbeat. This boy is scared, she thought, before correcting herself. No, he's traumatised.

"Well," she said, her eyes never leaving Changmin's, "I'll have to do a full body check-up to check the extent of your injuries. I'll give you a robe, Changmin shi. Change into it and then we'll talk."

Changmin looked like he was about to say something when the doctor held up her hand. "Yes, you're allowed to wear your underwear underneath it, but nothing else."

Changmin looked visibly relieved as she handed him the robe. "The changing room is in the back."

Min got up and bowed to her as he stood up to leave.

"Changmin shi," she called. He turned around to look at her. His neck strangely hurt as he did so. "If you want to take a shower, there's a bathroom in the back. Extra towels are inside."

Changmin only smiled in response. "I think I'll change in the bathroom then."

Jaejoong gulped as he watched Changmin leave the room. He knew he was going to get in trouble with his sister. As soon as Changmin was out of sight, Jaejoong looked at his sister nervously. He knew he had some explaining to do.

"Well?" she asked, arms folded across her chest, "What happened to him? I haven't even looked at his injuries yet and I already know that he's badly traumatised by the beating. Who did this to him?"

Jaejoong looked at her and shook his head, biting his lip. "I can't tell you."

"Han Jaejoon." she warned.

Now she was serious. Jaejoong knew she only ever used his real name when she was serious. But still, he wouldn't tell. It would be too risky.

Jaera sighed, running a hand through her hair. "Alright," she relented, "If you don't want to tell me, then i have no right to force it out of you."

Jaejoong sighed in relief.

"But," she said, "You realise I have to make a police report on this."

Jaejoong looked at her, shocked. "You can't," he whispered desparately, "You HAVE to keep this a secret. Between you and me. The press will have a FIELD DAY if this leaks out!!"

Jaera stared daggers at him. "Jaejoong, you didn't..." she trailed off, but Jaejoong understood anyway.

"What?!" he yelled, shocked, "No! Of course I wouldn't... Oh my God how could you even consider that?! I would never hurt him, Noona! He's part of my life! He's so so important to me, so how could you--"

Jaera raised her hands, stopping Jaejoong's angry/shocked rant. "Alright, alright. I'm sorry. But Jaejoong, you have to tell me what happened. Who did this to him. I can keep this knowledge a secret, but I have the right to know why a badly beaten and traumatised boy is at my door in the middle of the night. He's scared, Jaejoong. I can tell just by looking. Now tell Noona what happened."

Jaejoong sighed, running a hand through his hair in frustration. He knew he couldn't win against her. "Yunho... Lost his temper. And... It was my fault that I wasn't there for him."

Jaera loosened up when she heard her baby brother's confession. He was on the verge of tears. He was blaming himself, as always.

"This..." Jaejoong sobbed, "Is all my fault. If I... had ben there for him... If I hadn't... Hadn't left... This wouldn't have happened..."

Jaejoong stopped to take a breath, as his sobs racked his body. Jaera came to lend her shoulder to him. She hugged him reassuringly as she comforted him. "Shush shush... It wasn't your fault. Things that are fated to happen will happen, Jaejoong. There's nothing you can do about it."

"You don't understand!" he countered, "If I hadn't left... this wouldn't have happened!!"

"Hey, hey..." she cooed, "You can't help it. You didn't know this was going to happen, and besides, it's already happened. The best thing you can do now is look out for him. He needs you now, more than ever, okay? So don't let him see you like this, you big wuss!"

Jaejoong smiled at her as she gently shook him. Even though they had drifted apart these past few years, he could always count on her when he needed her.

"Hyung!" Changmin called suddenly, making them both jump. "Hyung! Hyung! Jaejoong hyung!! JAAAAAAAAAEEEEEJOOOOOONG HYUUUUUUUUUUNNNNGGGGG!!!!"

"WHAT?!" Jaejoong yelled in answer, "Quiet down! Do you know what time it is?! I'm coming!"

"Yah. I better go see what's wrong."

Jaera nodded in understanding as he walked away towards the bathroom.

"Min?" he called, knocking on the bathroom door, "Changmin?"

"Come in," came the reply, "It's not locked."

Jaejoong entered to see Changmin sitting on the edge of the bathtub. His hoodie was half raised over his head, revealing his inner shirt beneath it.

"What's wrong, Changmin?"

Changmin looked at him nervously, before biting his lip. "Um... I can't get the jacket over my head... It hurts too much..."

Jaejoong laughed aloud before coming towards the sulking boy.

"Don't laugh hyung... It really hurts..."

"Alright," Jaejoong replied, "I'm sorry. Hyung was wrong. Here let me help. Lift your arms over your head."

Changmin looked straight at him, not moving.

"What?" Jaejoong asked, confused.

"That's the thing. I can't lift my arms."

Jaejoong's eyes widened at the statement. "What? Are you sure?"

Changmin looked at him with a slightly irritated expression and resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "It's my body, Hyung. Of course I'm sure."

"Well, okay. Let me try lift your arms first.

Changmin loosened his arms as Jaejoong gently lifted one arm so he could slide Changmin's hand out of the sleeve. He only got to lift the arm about halfway up the boy's head before Changmin started screaming.

"AH AH AH!! OW OW OW!! APA APA APA!! Stop it already hyung! It hurts already!"

Jaejoong immediately let go and let the boy's arm fall to the floor.

"I think I'll go call my Noona..."

*************

 

"Now I want you to raise your arm as high as you comfortably can," Jaera said as she placed a hand on Changmin's shoulder joint.

Changmin took in a deep breath as he slowly started lifting his hand. He could only lift it to about a twenty degree angle of elevation when he was already wincing.

"Limit." He announced.

Jaera nodded. "Now I'm going to press down on your shoulder. I want you to hold your arm out  horizontally."

Changmin did as he was told. The minute pressure was laid on his shoulder however, he started yelling again.

"YAH~~!! OW OW OW!! STOP IT NOONA NIM!! STOP STOP STOP!!"

Jaera immediately let go. Changmin whimpered as he brought his arm down, gently clutching his shoulder.

"Changmin shi," she said, "I really need you to change into that robe. It'll be much easier for me to inspect your injuries that way."

Changmin nodded in understanding, wiping his falling tears with his sleeve. Jaera patted Changmin's head gently, before leaving the bathroom and closing the door behind her.

There was an awkward silence between the two people left in the room, other than Changmin's occasional sniffs as his tears ended.

"Um... Do you want me to leave you alone...?"

Changmin looked up, startled. "No no no. Don't leave me."

For a while, the glint of insanity returned to Changmin's eyes.

"Okay, okay! I'll stay right here."

Changmin calmed down immediately after that. He started tugging at his jacket, trying to find a way to painlessly take it off, before failing and stopping completely.

"Wait, Min," Jae said, a finger on his chin, "How did you put it on in the first place?"

Changmin shrugged, wincing when he found out that the simple act brought him pain. "At that point, the pain was pretty bareable, but i guess it got wirst over time."

Jaejoong thought for a while.

"Maybe we should cut it off?"

"What?"

"Cut the jacket off."

Changmin gasped in horror. "But this is my favourite hoodie!"

Jaejoong rolled his eyes. "I'll buy you a new one, okay? But for your own sake, I think you better cut it off."

Changmin pouted for a while before relenting. "Alright," he said, "Cut it for me? I don't wanna risk hurting myself."

Jaejoong nodded and took the scissors in the medicine cabinet.

Changmin held out his left arm, as Jaejoong carefully began cutting through the fabric. He had decided he couldn't risk cutting around the shoulders, so he cut a straight line from the sleeve to the shoulder. For the chest area, he simply cut the sewn in strings holding the jacket together. He did the same to the inner shirt. The fabric fell away, revealing Changmin's bare chest. Jaejoong could see that the purple bruises had grown into painful shades with ugly shades of red, blue and purple. Unwittingly, Jaejoong had extended his hand to place it on one of the bruises located on Changmin's back.

"Does it hurt?"

Changmin shook his head. "I guess when you hold it like that, it doesn't."

Jaejoong began to cry again, seeing the state of Changmin's body. Changmin turned around at him, surprised at the tears.

"Aww..." he groaned, ruffling his own hair, "Umma don't cry... It doesn't hurt that much... Really... Honest. It just looks really bad, that's all."

Jaejoong shook his head. "I'm sorry Min," he sobbed, "I should never have left you alone."

"Changmin smiled gently. "It's nothing. I'm fine now. Now turn around. I need to take off my pants."

Jaejoong laughed, wiping at his tears, before turning around to face the wall.

"Okay, Hyung. I'm ready."

"Let's go then."

*************

 

As soon as they re-entered the office, they were brought into another room, which was more private and had one of those leather beds where patients could lie on.

"Okay, Changmin shi," said Jaera, "I need you to just lie down on the bed first. I'll press several places on your body, and all you need to do is tell me if it hurts or not. Understood?"

Changmin nodded and looked back at Jaejoong, who was leaning against the wall, staring at them.

"Do you want me out of the room?" he asked.

Changmin shook his head no.

Jaejoong nodded. "Okay."

Jaera started the check up by using the stethoscope and listening to Changmin's heart and lungs, careful to look at Changmin's reactions for signs of pain. She then made him lie down. Moving her hands around his body, she would press her hands down on certain places.

She moved to his stomach.

"Does this hurt?"

Changmin shook his head.

Moving to his chest, she slowly pressed the fleshy space between his ribs. Changmin shook his head, doing the same when she moved to his right. But he gasped aloud when she pressed his left side, a few inches to the left of where his heart would be.

"Hurts," he confirmed.

Jaera nodded, before proceeding to inspect other places.

"Okay, you can sit up now."

Changmin did as he was told, and she started inspecting his back, following the previous procedure. Changmin was silent throughout the whole procedure, only shaking his head from time to time to show that he was not in pain.

Only when she touched the nape of his neck did he react.

"Ah! Okay. Hurts."

Jaera nodded again. "Now Changmin shi, I'm going to check on your focus."

She held up her index finger in front of his face.

"Now," she said, "I want you to follow my finger with your eyes only. Try to not move your head."

Slowly, she moved her finger. Left to right, closer and further, up and down. Changmin was trying to focus on it. He was really trying, but his eyes started to lose focus on her hand and he soon developed a headache.

"Is it hard to focus?"

Changmin nodded, rubbing his eyes.

Jaera made him do other tests on focus, and he showed a problem in all of them.

"Okay, Changmin shi. I need you to take off your robe now. Is that okay with you?"

Changmin nodded. He had a headache now, and all he wanted to do was lie down. He removed his robe, standing in his boxers in front of her.

For the first time, she saw the extent of his injuries.

There were dark bruises located on his chest and lower back. His upper left arm was swollen, as was his right shoulder. Both his knees were swollen as well. After a long full body check, Jaera sent Changmin to the main office, needing to talk privately with Jaejoong.

"I can't confirm anything yet, but i need to perform an x ray on him, as well as an MRI." she informed him once they were out of his view.

Jaejoong nodded his understanding. This standard check up was going downhill. And it was taking much longer than usual. The both of them went back to the main office to meet Changmin again.

"Changmin shi?"

Changmin looked behind him to look at them. He looked sleepy, both siblings noted.

"I'm going to perform an x ray an MRI scan for you soon, okay?"

Changmin knotted his eyebrows in confusion. "Why?"

Jaejoong smiled. "Don't worry, Min. It's just standard procedure."

Changmin looked up at him, nodding in understanding.

In the course of two hours, both tests had been performed. Both Jaejoong and Changmin were in the waiting room, sitting on the couch, with Changmin's head on the older boy's lap. They were waiting for the results of the two tests.

For a village clinic, the place was fully equipped. The only thing it did not have was a chemotherapy room, because the radiation would be too hard to control.

"Sleepy, Min?" Jaejoong asked when the silence made him uncomfortable.

Changmin shook his head. "Headache."

Jaejoong nodded, the boy's head. "Hungry?"

"VERY."

Jaejoong laughed. Of course

About half an hour later, Jaera emerged from the lab with the test results in hand.

"Changmin shi, I just need to speak in private with Jaejoong for a while. Is that okay with you?"

Changmin nodded without looking at her. His headache was so bad to the point that he felt like vomiting everytime he focused on something.

Jaejoong slid out from under Changmin. Changmin's head fell back to the couch, but other than that, he didn't move.

"I'll be back soon, so don't worry."

Changmin didn't respond.

They entered her office again, and Jaejoong sat down on the chair in front of her desk. They faced each other.

"Jaejoong, I have some news from the tests and the body check up. Based on your report, you said that Changmin was back-handed to the point where blood came out of his mouth." Jaera then took out Changmin's medical record and opened it to show to Jaejoong. "Based on my tests, it seems that when he was back-handed, his head was snapped back at an uncomfortable angle, causing him moderate whiplash. Because of the impact of being hit in the face, Changmin fell. Based on the MRI test, it shows that Changmin was either hit very hard on the back of the head, or he fell on a blunt pointed object which caused a slight concussion and a tear on his scalp. It isn't deep enough to require stitches, but to avoid a scar, I guess I'll just glue it together. The concussion isn't serious enough to be considered a danger, but look out for him just in case. The x ray shows that he has a hairline fracture on two of his ribs on the left side of his ribcage, believed to have been caused by a blunt moving object, like say a kick from a person wearing a shoe. It's amazing it isn't more serious. The bruises on his lower back lead to a slight shift in his spine alignment, which in itself is affecting his nerves. This explains why his knees are swollen and he has slight difficulty walking. He also has a tear on the inside of his cheek that will heal on his own. An artery in his left arm burst, which explains why it's swollen. He shows signs of trauma and denial. But he's mostly in shock right now."

Jaera leaned her head back against the chair. "I just can't believe someone as sweet as Yunho could do this to him..." she sighed, closing her file.

Jaejoong leaned back and stared at the closed file. "Neither can I," he whispered, as he pulled out his phone to dial Yoochun and Junsu, intending to make a three way call.

***********

 

After making the call, and explaining what happened, and enduring Yoochun's anger and Junsu's tears, Jaejoong hung up to call another person.

The person picked up at the twelfth ring.

"Hello?"

"Lee Soo Man Sunbae-nim. It's Jaejoong."

"Oh. Jaejoong. How nice of you to call. Even more urprising that you kept my number after all these years."

"I apologize, Sunbae nim, but I need a very big favour from you."

"Keep going."

"I need you to cancel Changmin's schedule for some time."

"Ah. Any particular reason for that?"

"Yes. I brought Changmin to the clinic to get himself checked. It seems they're pretty bad."

"How so?"

"Based on the doctor's evaluation, he has whiplash, a concussion, a tear in his scalp, hairline fractures on his ribs, a shft in his spine alignment causing compression of the nerves, which lead to difficulty in walking, a burst artery, and is currently from trauma, denial and shock."

The man on the other line stayed quiet for a while. "That is serious." He finally said. "Alright, for now, I'll postpone the album and cancel his variety appearances and scheduled performances. I can't cancel his photoshoots and CFs, those have already been dated to publish. But other than that, I think I can cancel his other schedules. As a precaution, I'll give him two weeks off. If he doesn't get any better after that, contact me. I'll se what I can do about it."

"Thank you, Sunbae nim."

"Alright Jaejoongie. Update me on Changmin's condition soon."

"I will." replied Jaejoong, before putting the phone down and going back to the waiting room. Changmin was still slumped over on the couch, his position unchanged.

"Min?"

No answer.

"Changmin?" he called again.

"Yes Hyung?"

"Do you want some aspirin?"

"I don't think I can swallow anything right now."

Jaera came out of the office and happened to overhear their conversation. "Changmin shi? Is everything alright?"

"It's fine, Noona nim. I just have a headache."

"Hmm." she said, "Maybe you'd like to stay over?"

Changmin shook his head as he got up. "I wanna go home. Jaejoong hyung take me home now..."

"I'm sorry, Changmin shi, but take this as a hospital visit. I still need to dress your injuries. Come, the sooner the better."

Changmin nodded, standing up. He suddenly froze and put his fingers to his temples. "Oh world..." he lamented, "What a time you chose to spin..." Jaejoong came and helped him, and soon the the three of them made their way to the doctor's office again for Changmin to get fixed up.

After getting fixed up, which consisted of bandages on his chest, lower back, several injection, ointments and a arm sling which prevented him from straining the muscles of his chest, both Jaejoong and Changmin were unbelievably sleepy.

***********

 

"Noona... How much longer..." complained Jaejoong, who was on the verge of falling asleep.

"Just a bit longer..." she would reply.

It had been about five hours since they arrived at the clinic and right now the clock showed 5:45am. Changmin's head lolled about, trying not to fall asleep as the doctor continued applying the bandages.

Finally, she finished. Changmin carefully slid down the bed, trying not to disturb the bandages and his injuries, as Jaera gave her little brother instructions on how to change the bandages and apply the ointment.

Changmin came back to the waiting room and lay down on the couch, immediately falling asleep. Jaejong soon came and fell asleep on the armchair next to it.

They woke up three hours later to the deafening bass sounds that signified the start of TVXQ's Keep Your Head Down. They jolted awake, as Jaejoong hurriedly picked up his phone. As Jaejoong talked on the phone, Changmin got up and sat on Jaejoong's lap. Jaejoong lazily wrapped a hand around his waist as he talked.

"Hello? Yes Junsu, it's me. We're fine. No we'll be home soon. Yes I'll buy breakfast. Yes yes okay. Anything else? No? Okay then. Yeah, see you soon. Bye."

Changmin sat up and looked at him in a rather funny way. "You have our song as our ringtone?"

"It's the only one loud enough to grab my attention."

Changmin smiled, knowing the truth behind it, as he leaned against Jaejoong's chest, resting his head on the elder's shoulder. "I have yours too. Empty. The english song. I liked it."

"You bought our album?"

"Of course I did! I bought all of them! Don't tell me you didn't buy ours?"

"Of course I did!"

"All of them?"

"Every single one!"

Changmin smiled, content, as he fiddled with Jaejoong's phone.

"Oh! You still have the five of us as your wallpaper?"

Jaejoong nodded. "I always knew we would reunite one way or another, and looking at that picture gave me strength, made me believe it could happen."

Changmin smiled at him, before taking a selca of his grinning face and making it as Jaejoong's new wallpaper. "Now it's nicer," he said as he handed the phone back to him.

Jaejoong smiled when he looked at his new wallpaper, before slipping the phone back in his pocket.

"Let's go home," he said.

Changmin nodded in agreement, happy he could go home now.