Because You Are

Wonderwall

 



Chapter 12: Because You Are



"Oh Se Hun!" Hyun Ae tried to break free from Se Hun's grip. "If you're not gonna listen to me, at least let me go!" She gunted and so he did. He let her hand go, but she was surprised. Now that her hand's free, she received pain gradually. Her wrist hurts from Se Hun's firm grip. "Finally." She rubbed her precious hand.

Se Hun's scoff could be heard at the back of her head. Hyun Ae looked at him and snatched away the things that she was suppose too send to the lab. "Thanks to you, I didn't have the chance to properly say goodbye to Baek Hyun and Kyungsoo." She complained. The more she talked, the more Se Hun's expression changed. "I'll take you to them so you can say your freaking goodbyes to them next time." He finally have spoken.

Hyun Ae stopped rubbing her abused wrist and confronted Se Hun's temper issue. "Just what the hell is wrong with you?? Why are you so angry?!" 

"You don't know anything so just shut up." Se Hun countered back. "Are you stupid?" Se Hun got surprised by Hyun Ae's response, he didn't see that coming. "Yes I don't know why are you being so bi8chy and that is obviously the reason why  I'm asking about it!" She snapped at him. "You listen here, mister. I'm ever so grateful for what you've done for me lately but I can't let you do what you want at me so easily. Stop throwing your tantrum at me when you feel like it!" Hyun Ae pointed at his face.

He didn't say a word but he bit his lips and looked at her. He was listening to every one of the words she said. Hyun Ae breathed out of anger and waited for Se Hun to say something. "If you have nothing to say then I'll get going. Thank you for nothing." She walked pass by him and headed to the lab.

Se Hun sighed so heavily that he even blew some air out of his mouth. "This is pointless." 

 


Recess

"You're water." Sang Mi handed Kai a bottle of mineral water. Kai looked at her and scoffed, "Are you kidding me?" He asked. Sang Mi shooked her head, "You've been drinking lately so no any other water unless it's tasteless and cause no harm to your health. That is, mineral water." She said sarcastically. "At least give me coke!" Kai whined but Sang Mi still shooked her head.

She pulled out her own bottle of mineral water. "We'll drink it together." She pulled her tongue out at Kai. "Granny Gyeong said that the master's health is important to everyone so it's my duty." Sang Mi blurted out without looking at Kai. ((She's shy xD))

Kai smiled. "Hmm~ I see. You've learnt a lot, huh?" He patted her head. "Thank you, Sang Mi." 

'What....'  Sang Mi whispered in her mind. 'My heart is throbbing...'

"Oh yeah, I see you and Eduardo getting along well." Kai continued. Sang Mi was still in daze but she managed to snap out of it. "Yes..." She answered. "How about you?" She turned to ask Kai back. "Eduardo is..." Eduardo's chiibi image came out in Kai's mind. "He's over-protectective, no doubt. Let's see... Umm. We talk a lot about boys stuff. It's great to have someone to talk to like that..." Kai chuckled while reminiscing the memories he had with Eduardo.

He suddenly stopped and crossed his arms, "But one thing's for sure, whenever he send me to school, he stole my spotlight in an instant. I should really ban him from opening the door for me, shouldn't I?" The image of the girls from their school came and surround Eduardo made Kai a bit irritated. Sang Mi laughed at him for having such childish way of thinking about things. She've seen so many of Kai's faces and she definitely favoured the one's in front of her at the moment. 

Kai talking about himself to her, smiling and laughing. Of course, Sang Mi wants her master to be happy forever if that's possible. "Kai..." She called softly when Kai was talking.

He looked at her and stopped talking. "Yeah?" 

' I wanna ask him.'

"Are you gonna... go out again tonight?" She asked.

'I don't care. For all I know, I don't want the Kai I saw before.'

"Why do you ask such question?" Kai asked back. "Could it be?" He grinned and came nearer to Sang Mi. "That Sang Mi is interested in me?" 

Sang Mi flicked his forehead hard and pushed him away. "There's no way in forever will I have those feeling for you!!" She exclaimed. "It's not wrong for someone to worry about another person. I'm telling you this as a friend, Kai. I'm worried about you as a friend." She expressed her worries to Kai who was still enduring the flick she just gave.

Kai pulled the ends of her long hair with slight force. "That's for flicking my forehead." He grinned. "I can't tell you anything by now but I'll stop going out and drinking if that makes you worry about me. I'm sorry." Kai nudged her shoulder with his. He gave out a 'buddy' kind of feeling towards Sang Mi. She doesn't particularly hates it, but she seems a bit disappointed.

"We better get back to Mi Young and Hyun Ae." She insisted and left Kai behind. "Hold up!" Kai shouted.

 


"Se Hun, you're not eating?" Mi Young asked. He shooked and read his book back. Hyun Ae's eating her lunch with much anger while looking at Se Hun. 'What the hell is wrong with this guy! If you're angry me, then at least answer Mi Young properly!!'  She thought as she stabbed her veggies with her fork. Se Hun stole a glance at her while she was looking. Hyun Ae was surprised and embarrassed, she didn't know what to do. Se hun sticked his tongue out instead. 

'You son of a b--!'  Hyun Ae was about to curse but was stopped.

"Sorry we're late." Sang Mi rushed to Hyun Ae's side. "Yah, what are you eating?" She asked playfully.  "Ah..." Hyun Ae pouted when Sang Mi ate her last piece of hot dog. "Nooooo." She frowned. Mi Young laughed and continued to eat. 

Kai sat down beside Hyun Ae too, handing out his lunch. "Here, have mine. I'm not that hungry too." He offered. Hyun Ae looked at his lunch excitedly, "Uwah! Kai has so many meat!" 

He laughed and nodded. "I think it's because the canteen lady favours me a lot."

"Shut up. You're just disturbing me. Can't you see I'm reading?" Se Hun pulled out his book. "People are eating at this time so talking is allowed. If you want peace, then just go to the library, genius." Kai sarcastically said and glared at him. Se Hun got up and head to the door. "Enjoy your meal." He slammed the door close.

"What an attitude." Hyun Ae was pissed. "At some points, I don't even know how I'm still his friend." Kai laughed but the girls didn't. The three of them looked at Kai with silence. "What?" Kai shrugged his shoulders.

Mi Young smiled and shooked, "Nothing." she said. 

Hyun Ae hit the floor with her left hand and exclaimed, "Mi Young's lying! I'm sure our question for you is the same right, girls?" she continued. "Huh?" Kai looked at each one of them and ended up looking at Sang Mi a bit longer. "Sang Mi?" He gave her the 'do you have any clue to what they're saying?' look.

"We're wondering why you..." she stopped, hesitating to ask.

"--and Se Hun are acting weird." Hyun Ae continued. "Did you both fight?" again, she asked. "If you don't want to tell us, it's fine though." Mi Young said. "Well to be honest, it's a guy thing?" Kai wandered his eyes away. "I don't know what to call it..."

 


8:12 P.M

Uncle knocked on Hyun Ae's bedroom door. "Hyun Ae, let's eat." he called. 

"Hmm? Right, I'll be there." She answered back. Hyun Ae was trying a new makeup look she just saw a tutorial on. It was a natural look with color tones. Fortunately, the look required only light makeup. She wiped all spots on her face without missing any left-over make up. 

"Must a be a make up look she's trying." Uncle prepared placed the dishes on the dining table.

Hyun Ae walked out of her room with a fresh face. Uncle sat down and looked at her. "What?" She widened her eyes as she was taking out her bottle of milk from the refrigerator. "You spent the money I gave you for beauty products?" He asked. "Well, I am a girl, Uncle." She sat down beside her uncle and poured milk into a glass. "I'm sure Mi Young and Sang Mi do those kind of stuff too." She giggled.

Uncle messed her hair, "Aigoo what a lucky little girl you are." He pinched her cheeks in addition. "Oww!!" Hyun Ae pushed her uncle from here and escaped to another seat. "I'm not a little girl." She sticked out her tongue. 

"Yeah, like I'll buy that." Uncle scoffed at her. "Now let's eat."

"Thank you for the food!!!" Hyun Ae screamed in excitement with full joy until her phone vibrated. She looked down at her phone's screen and it was a text from Se Hun. "Tch." She slightly pushed her phone away from her. Uncle who was mixing his rice with the vegetable soup, stopped at look at her. "Who's that? Aren't you gonna see it?" He asked.

Hyun Ae shooked and ate with all her heart without feeling bad for ignoring Se Hun's text.

 


Kim's Residence

Chan Yeol swayed his body from left to right and right to left. His eyes were stucked at the wide curved Samsung TV screen while working his fingers-- pressing the buttons of the controller, that is.

"For fcuk's sake!!!" Kai cursed and threw away the controller. He lost in the game againts Chan Yeol again. The other player took a sip of his soda drink and smiled to ears, "It's almost your 20th time so keep playing." He insisted with sarcasm. "Screw you, hyung. I ain't playing with 'ya again." Kai kicked Chan Yeol that was seated beside him. 

"--and you've been counting all this time!!!" Kai exclaimed. 

"It's actually your 17th time losing, Master Jong In." Eduardo bowed 75 degree while talking. "Eduardo!" Kai looked at the fair, good-looking butler. Eduardo smiled, "Eduardo can't help but to celebrate the joyful situation right now, Master Jong In."

Kai crossed his arms and leaned back on his green neon bean bag. "What part of me losing is a joyful situation?" He blurted.

Sang Mi laughed, "Well is it not? Chan Yeol is enjoying himself." She continued. Apparently, Chan Yeol didn't want Sang Mi nor Eduardo call him by the name 'Master'. Eduardo refused, but Sang Mi was more than glad for that 'order'. Kai kept his annoyed look and took out his phone from his pocket. 

He thought about it. The things that's been going on between Se Hun and him. To be honest, he does want to reconcile but he also refuse to take the first step. Rather than keeping the anger on Se Hun, he thought of himself as in 'was he too sensitive?' and 'should I  say sorry first?'. Sang Mi and Eduardo are both happy to the fact that they can spend their time with Kai and Chan Yeol at home. Kai kept his words not to go out on late nights again.

Kai got up and stretched himself. "Wow, how many hours has it been?" He asked.

"Approximately 4 hours, Master Jong In." Eduardo answered his question. "Well here, Eduardo." He threw the controller to his butler. That was a surprise attack for Eduardo but he managed to catch it. "You play with Chan Yeol hyung." Kai insisted.

Sang Mi looked at Kai immediately and stood up. "Wait, where are you going?" She asked, full of worries. Kai smiled and chuckled after. "Don't worry. I'm gonna meet Se Hun." He whispered to her ears. "I'll have Eduardo send you home, 'kay? Bye." He exit the room. Sang Mi also received a surprise attack which unfortunately, she can't manage it well. She cupped her burning face with both of her hands.

"What're you waiting for, Eduardo? Let's play!!" Chan Yeol yanked Eduardo down to sit beside him.

 


"Oh so you're not gonna reply my text, aren't ya'?" Se Hun stared at Hyun Ae's contact profile on his phone. "Screw you. Why am I even bothered anyway." He shoved his phone away. Se Hun sat down and shaked his left foot.

*Kattok Kattok*

Se Hun took out his phone and checked a text he just received. He thought it was Hyun Ae somehow. "Kai..." He mumured.

Kai

Are u home?

I'm coming over.

 

 

Kai bit his knuckle in the car, anxious about what Se Hun's gonna answer. "What the hell?" He slapped himself. "It's as if he's my crush or something. Why am I even nervous?" He pulled his head back and sighed heavily. "Ahjusshi, how many years have it been since me and Se Hun are friends?" He asked the driver.

"As I recall, it's been more than 5 years, Doryeo-nim." The driver replied. "Has it?" Kai looked outside the car window. "Wow." He never knew it was that long, never. Time flies fast and he knew. 

The first time they met each other, was when Kai had a hard time being the new kid. First day at school, he had confidence like he always had. Not only it's his first day, but in his life even. You see, Kai is the son of a well-known-wealthy family in Korea so all his life, he's had home school. Back then was his first time ever being expose to publicity. 

He was nervous and Kai tried to be friendly but things turned out wrong. He received a lot of hatred instead. Since then, he thought that being in a wealthy family wasn't a blessing. Everyone tries to bring you down no matter what. 'Is money everything? Why are they so obsessed?' He asked himself these kind of questions all the time, everyday and night.

One day, Kai walked around the school compound alone to kill his spare time. He saw a group of guys just across to where he was standing. Fortunately for him, the group of guys didn't went his way. The last thing he wanted was to be bullied or any mean things happen to him. Kai ran towards the victim quickly and there, he met Se Hun. He was all beaten up-- mostly his face. His neck tie was ripped-off and his shirt was torned. "Are you okay?" Kai asked.

Se Hun who was on the ground, looked up to him. "Do I look okay to you?" He replied sarcastically. Se Hun got up and brushed away the dirt on his uniform. "Darn, seems like I have to buy new ones." He complained. Kai was flustered he almost didn't know what to say. 'And I thought I was having a hard day...'  he whispered to himself in his thoughts. "What?" Se Hun glared at him. Kai's been looking at Se Hun which made Se Hun felt uncomfortable. "If you mind me asking, you don't have to answer it but... what did you do to umm--"

"Look like crap like this?" Se Hun directly finished Kai's question. Kai nodded in silent. "I only stood up for myself and I got this in exchange. Sometimes I wonder if God is even on my side." He answered to Kai's question.

Kai was speechless. 'This guy has to face something similar to what I go through daily yet... I have never stood up for myself. But if this is what we get after standing up for myself...'  

"Why did you fight back? When you know this will be the effect..." He asked again. "Even if this is what I get, I'll be more satisfied by the fact that I stood up for myself. In the end, I didn't give in to them. If I don't who do you think will?" Se Hun looked at Kai. That last question hits Kai hard. Well at that time, everything he asked Se Hun seemed to be answered with a question too.

"Well then, see ya." Se Hun walked away, taking his time walking to his calssroom. "Damn, they hit really hard." He swinged his right shoulder back and forth. Kai looked at him from behind. "Waitttttt!!!!!" He rushed to Se Hun like crazy andyanked his left shoulder. "

Se Hun was surprised by Kai's sudden contact. The both of them fell down to the ground. "Oww!!!!!" Se Hun screamed his lungs out in pain. His legs had given up on him from the moment Kai yanked his shoulder. His legs were injured as well. "I'm sorry." Kai catched his breath. "What more?" Se Hun asked irritatedly, annoyed by Kai's presence.

"My name is Kai. Let's be friends!" He held his hand to Se Hun and smiled, showing his pearly white teeth. "Why should I be friends with someone who yanked me out of no where??" Se Hun asked back. His face was literally showing 0% interest. "Because I think we'll be great buddies in the future." Kai kept his smile on for a while. Se Hun was in silent. "Fine." He said. He took Kai's hand. "My name is Se Hun." He gradually gave in to Kai.

"There ya go!!!" Kai hit his arm in a friendly way. 

"OWWWWW!!!!!!" Se Hun's body fainted on the ground as he couldn't bear any bonus pain that Kai gave him unintentionally. 

"Oops. Sorry, buddy." Kai got up and held his hand to help Se Hun get up. 

 

Ding Dong Ding Dong

Se Hun opened his appartment's door and there, Kai stood with a smile on his face. "Ssup?" He gave him a playful salute. "Yeah. Come in." Se Hun let the door open and went inside his appartment. Kai closed the door and head to the living room. It's not like Kai's the only one who wants to reconcile, Se Hun is as nervous as he is right now. It's awkward for both of them but as usual, Kai tried to ease of the tension between them. "Which tea do you want?" Se Hun asked him. "Don't you have any cold drinks?" Kai laughed.

"Here." Se Hun tossed a can of cola at Kai. He stared at the can for so long. "What? Isn't that what you always drink at home?" Se Hun asked as he took out a drink for himself too. "I thought you wouldn't have them in your fridge." Kai stated before opening the tin can.

"You always came by so I stock them up inside." Se Hun answered honestly.

Silence began to speak. It was awkward enough to hear Se Hun say that. Kai didn't know how to start a real conversation with him and Se Hun didn't know what to expect. "So why are you here?" Se Hun rest his on the head of the sofa beside Kai. "About Hyun Ae." Kai blurted out. He thanked the Lord that Se Hun took the initiative to ask his real intention.

Se Hun hummed and nodded. "What about her?" He asked back, glancing at Kai from the corners of his eyes. "Se Hun, we only have each other." Kai smiled as he talked and as he was remeniscing about his past days that he spent together with Se Hun. "No one understands us well but each other. We've been through ty stuffs together back then and even now." He stopped.

"So you're saying?" Se Hun asked. His finger cricled along the can's shape. "I've never thought that we would go againts each other and I never know what will I do if it happens. So what I'm saying is, let's play it fair and square. Whoever Hyun Ae chooses, it's her choice, right?" Kai turned to Se Hun. "So, let's work hard... buddy." He declared.

"Pfftttttt."

"Yah! Don't laugh at me you butthole." Kai nudged Se Hun's arm. "Ara, ara." He finally replied Kai. "You don't know how happy I am to hear you say that." Se Hun smiled at Kai. The both of them shared smiles, laughters, tears and pain together and nothing could tear them apart. "There ya go!!!" Kai swinged his arm on Se Hun's shoulders. "Cheers!!" He held up his can and so did Se Hun. "Cheers." Se Hun laughed.

They drank their colas until the can was empty and wiped their mouth using the back of their hands. "But I gotta know something for sure." Kai blurted out. "When did you actually started to like Hyun Ae?" He asked. Se Hun almost spat out his drink and was already hitting his chest with his fist. "Don't ask something so personal, idiot!!" He smacked Kai's head.

He's turning red just by the thought of Hyun Ae. He don't even know the answer to Kai's question. Kai kept quiet and just looked at him. "What? I don't know, okay??" Se Hun looked away. "If you're done here, then go home!" He glared at Kai. "KEEEE."

"What the fcuk was that sound you just made?" Se Hun got angry at Kai's teasing. He could sense Kai's smirk, "Don't be embarrassed by it. Dude, we're guys. It's normal to talk about it. If girls can talk casually about something like this to themselves, why can't we?" Kai said. 

"I said I don't know so I don't know. She's stupid, careless, clueless, dense, shameless and all of the '-less' there is." Se Hun grunted. "But?" Kai looked at him with a cheeky grin. "There must be a 'but'." He said. "For example, she's dense but that makes her cuter, don't you think?" Kai continued.

Se Hun squinted his eyes at Kai. "I really hate the way you talk about her." 

"Whattt? PFFTT!" Kai held his laughter. "I could never have this kind of conversation with somebody else." Kai stated. "Why?" Se Hun looked at him while taking out another drink from the fridge. "'Cause you're my only buddy, you're the only one who I can talk 'bout my feelings to." 

"Dude, gross! People are gonna think we're having somewhat bromance." Se Hun was engrossed by what Kai have said. "But you know what, same goes to me." 

"It's because you are my buddy."

 



End of Chapter 12