Chapter 22

Hope and Chances

You stepped out of the shower and hung the towel up. Then you set about putting your clothes on but stopped. You pulled on the waistband of your jeans and then pushed on your stomach a bit, feeling how firm it was.
You quickly left the bathroom and went to the bedroom. You opened the closet door and stood in front of the full length mirror that hung there. Turning sideways, you noticed a tiny yet definite curve to your stomach.
"Oh you little brat." you uttered with a scoff and rolled your eyes.
Closing the closet door, you went back to the bathroom and hurriedly finished getting dressed. Then you made your way to the workroom. Your husband was sitting at his desk and he took his headphones off when you approached him.
"What's wrong?" he worriedly asked, noticing your dark mood.
You lifted your shirt to expose your stomach. "Look."
He stared at your stomach for a few moments before lifting his gaze to meet yours again, obviously confused. You let out a little sigh of frustration and turned sideways. Then you watched as he squinted his eyes and leaned forward. He ran his hand over your stomach, feeling the evidence for himself. And a smile formed on his face.
You quickly pushed his hand away and glared at him accusingly. "Don't smile."
Startled, he sat back and stared at you. "What?"
"Don't smile." you repeated before shifting your glare to your stomach. "This isn't suppose to happen."
"Pretty sure this usually happens." he countered as he struggled to not smile again.
"No it isn't." you argued. "Only to women who have babies."
His expression quickly changed to concern. "Honey." he quietly said.
"Women who have babies get to have stretch marks and loose skin." you continued as your eyes watered with frustration. "Not women who can't have babies cause their bodies ing miscarry all the time."
"Honey." Yongguk murmured and reached for you but you smacked his hands away.
"It isn't fair!" you loudly declared. "It's getting to the point now that it's not even going to be a miscarriage but a still-birth!" Squeezing your eyes tightly shut, tears rolled down your cheeks and you stomped the floor with one foot. "Why the won't it just come out already?!"
You took several deep breaths before slowly looking up. Yongguk was staring at you with pain in his eyes. "Sorry." you shakily said, feeling a little ashamed at your outburst. "I... I just..."
"I'm sorry." your husband said.
You shook your head and wiped at your tears. "No, it's not your fault. I'm.."
"I am sorry." he interrupted, putting extra emphasis on his words
You paused and blinked at him in surprise. "For... what?"
He his lips and looked away before swallowing. Then he turned to his desk and rummaged under a few papers. He pulled out an envelope and turned back to face you. "I know you didn't want to do any tests but... I just had to know." he quietly stated before holding the envelope up for you. "So I did this behind your back."
You hesitantly took the envelope and glanced at the return address. It was of a lab. "You got tested." you uttered in disbelief.
"Yes." he confessed and nodded at the envelope. "Open it."
You stood frozen for a few seconds, not sure if you wanted to look.
"Please." Yongguk quietly pleaded.
Swallowing, you nodded and then opened the envelope. Your hands shook as you took out the paper and opened it. You skimmed the words, trying to make sense of what you were reading. One set of words caused your heart to skip though. 'Chromosomal abnormality'.
"I have an abnormal chromosome." he informed you. "When my DNA splits and joins with another person's DNA, it doesn't always work right. The genetic coding is off and makes it so a fetus can't fully develop."
You lowered the paper and stared at him incredulously. "It's you." you said. "You're the reason I can't have a baby."
A small smile formed on his face. "Oh you can have a baby." he corrected. "It's just a bit harder with me." He stood up and placed his hands on your stomach as he smirked. "Which begs the question; was it the milkman or the tv repair man?"
You instantly glared at him. "Yongguk!" you scolded and pushed him away.
He chuckled and held his hands up defensively. "I'm joking, I'm joking." he insisted. "I know it's mine." He put his hands down and took a step closer to you. "Sometimes people with abnormal chromosomes don't even realize they have one because they don't have any problems." He his lips and grabbed one of your hands with his. "Sometimes though, they have to try a hundred times. But eventually, they have a baby." He placed his free hand on your stomach. "It's just a matter of taking chances and hoping for the best."
You took in a shaky breath and squeezed his hand. Then your other hand covered his hand that was on your stomach. His words resonated in your mind as fresh tears rolled down your cheeks. "I'm having a baby." you whispered.
"You're having a baby." Yongguk echoed with an affectionate smile on his face.
Your shoulders started shaking as even more tears spilled from your eyes. "I'm having... a baby." you sobbed.
Yongguk quickly wrapped his arms around you, holding you tightly. All the pent up emotions of frustration and despair poured from you as you cried.
"I'm sorry for hiding it." your husband murmured. "I thought you would be angry at me for doing it. And I thought you need time before you could accept the fact that you're having a baby."
You pulled back a little and rubbed at your face. "I'm sorry for that." you told him. "You should have been able to tell me."
"And you should have been able to tell me about Jaewoo." he countered. "So let's just say we're even."
You giggled and nodded in agreement. "Alright." Then you giggled again. "Oh I'm having a baby." you declared, earning a laugh from Yongguk. "We need diapers and other baby stuff." you pouted at him and whined a little. "And I need maternity clothes. My pants feel tight."
Yongguk chuckled and gave you a quick peck on the lips. "We have something much more important to do before any of that." he reminded you.
You bit your bottom lip as a tiny bit of dread filled you. You knew what he was implying and you hoped for the best. "It should come from you." you stated. "Since he's such a daddy's boy."
Yongguk's smile disappeared and he stared at you in surprise. Then a shy smile appeared. "Yeah. He is."
You giggled at the expression on his face. "Daddy." you repeated. Then laughed when Yongguk blushed even more.


You sat at the table, feeling so nervous that you barely touched your food. You and Yongguk decided to tell Jaewoo during dinner. Once the boy was able to unwind from being in school for most of the day.
You glanced at Yongguk who was watching the little boy. Then he looked at you and you nodded your head.
"Hey Jaewoo." your husband said, getting the boy's attention.
"Yeah?" he asked before taking a sip of his milk.
"Uh... well..." Yongguk stuttered. "Well... we know why noona's been so sick."
Jaewoo paused and lifted his head. He gave you a curious look before looking over at Yongguk.
"You see, noona... She has a baby growing inside her." he informed the little boy. "We're going to have a baby."
Jaewoo didn't say anything, just continued staring at Yongguk. Then he slowly lowered his head and pressed his lips together.
You and Yongguk shared a worried look before turning back to the boy. "Jaewoo." you said as you reached over and put your hand on top of his.
Instantly he pulled his hand back and glared at you. "I hate you!" he declared.
Your mouth dropped open in shock and you quickly looked at Yongguk to see a similar expression on his face.
"Jaewoo!" your husband exclaimed.
The boy kept his attention towards you though, ignoring the older male. "You're not my mother! I hate you!" he screamed. Then he swung his arm and sent his milk cup flying across the room before it landed on the floor.
Jaewoo got out of his chair just as Yongguk stood up. Before the boy could run out of the room, your husband grabbed him. "Jaewoo."
"I hate you! I hate you!" the boy repeatedly shrieked as he smacked Yongguk's arm.
Finally Yongguk released him and Jaewoo sped out of the room. You didn't let Yongguk follow him though as you quickly stood up and grabbed him.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." your husband hurriedly said. "I'll talk to him."
You wrapped your arms around his waist and held on to him. "Just give him a minute to calm down." you said.
Yongguk stood there for a moment before you felt his arms around you. "I'm sorry. This wasn't how I expected it to go."
"I know." you assured him. "It's okay."

After about 10 minutes or so, Yongguk went into Jaewoo's bedroom and you stood by the doorway. You listened as Yongguk attempted to talk to the boy and pleaded for Jaewoo to talk to him. It was very much a one sided conversation though.
You looked in to the room and saw Yongguk sitting on the edge of the bed. He pulled a little on the blanket but a frustrated cry made him stop as Jaewoo buried himself under the blanket more. Then with a heavy sigh, Yongguk turned and ran a hand through his hair in frustration.
You glanced down at your stomach and pressed your lips together. You had a feeling that Jaewoo's reaction wasn't going to be pleasant but you had to admit, this reaction surprised you. Looking up, you surveyed the room and everything in it. Things that belonged to Jaewoo. Which made you remember back to when you had bought him all those drawing supplies. And how much he couldn't believe they were his. That it was him that you and Yongguk wanted.
Closing your eyes, you let out a little sigh. Then you made your way over to the bed.
Yongguk glanced curiously up at you but got off of the bed without saying anything. You sat down where he had been sitting and took a deep breath.
"You're important." you said out loud so Jaewoo could hear you. "Your favorite color is blue so this room is blue. You like dinosaurs so there are dinosaur toys. You like to draw so there is paper and crayons everywhere."
You glanced up at Yongguk and he nodded at you in encouragement.
"You're important and everything here is yours. These are your toys and this is your bedroom." You your lips nervously and swallowed. "We wanted a baby for so long but it never happened. That's why we decided to adopt." You turned to look at the blanket and the lump under it. "And we decided to adopt you. Because you like the color blue, and dinosaurs, and drawing, and even rice."
Very slowly, the blanket lowered just enough for a pair of eyes to peek out.
"I know you must have felt so unwanted." you told the little boy. "But you are important Jaewoo. You are so very, very important and nobody can replace you." You put a hand on your stomach. "Not even this baby can replace you. You are important and this is your home."
Jaewoo sat up and let the blanket fall to his lap. He stared at you as his eyes watered.
"Can you imagine how we feel?" you asked him with a tiny smile as your own eyes water also. "We tried so hard to have one child and now we have two. We're so lucky to have both of you."
He let out a small sob as the tears finally rolled down his cheeks. Then he quickly threw himself at you, burying his face in to your neck. You wrapped your arms around him and hugged him.
"You're important Jaewoo." you reiterated, thinking about how easy it was for his last mother to simply give him back to the orphanage. "You're important and you can't be replaced."
Yongguk sat down on the other side and wrapped an arm around the both of you. "I'd say even more important now."
Jaewoo pulled back a little and gave him a questioning look.
"You're going to be a big brother." Yongguk informed him. "You going to have to help teach them to play games and draw dinosaurs." He rubbed the boy's back. "And you're going to help us right? Babies are hard to take care of so we'll need your help."
Jaewoo glanced between the two of you. "Really?" he quietly asked, still not believing.
"Really. We need you." you assured him. Then you reached up and wiped a few stray tears from his face. "I know you just need time to believe that his is your home." You lifted your head and looked at Yongguk. "Just like how I needed time to believe that I'm having a baby."
Yongguk smiled at you and nodded his head. "Things will settle with time."
"I'm sorry." Jaewoo said before giving you a guilty look. "I don't really hate you."
"It's alright." you told him. "I know you don't."
"How about we go finish our dinner and then afterwards, we have ice cream for dessert?" Yongguk suggested.
Jaewoo's eyes widened and he looked at you expectedly. "With the pink ice cream?"
You remembered the strawberry flavored ice cream you had gotten him the other day. "Yep. It's in the freezer."
He threw himself at you again, hugging you. "Thank you!"
You giggled and patted his back. "Anything for you Jaewoo."