Chapter 11

Hope and Chances

You waited until you couldn't hear any more sounds coming from the room. Then you stood up and made your way to the dryer. You dumped the clothes in to the basket and found the stuffed dinosaur. You picked him up and went back to Jaewoo's room.
You slowly opened the door and saw the boy laying on the floor with a tear stained face. He glanced over at you and his eyes widened when he saw what was in your hands. Then he quickly got up and ran for you.
Before he could grab the toy though, you lifted it above your head. "He was.."
"Give me my dinosaur!" he screamed.
"Stop it!!" you shrieked, causing the boy to take a step back in shock.
"Enough Jaewoo!" you shouted while ignoring the fresh tears that were forming in your eyes. "Enough already! You have no reason to act like his!"
He glared at you and held his hands up. "I want my dinosaur!" he yelled and stomped his foot on the floor."
"What did I just say?!" you screamed.
He pressed his lips together and didn't say anything but he continued to glare at you. Taking it as a small victory, you lowered your hand and offered him the toy. He snatched it away from you instantly and clutched it tightly to his chest.
"He wasn't gone, he was in the dryer. I washed him for you." you informed him.
He glanced at you, the same cold look as before in his eyes. "I hate you."
It felt like someone took a dagger and stabbed you in the heart. Not that you should have been surprised with the way he's been.
New tears rolled down your cheeks as you stared at the boy for a moment. Then you turned and walked out of the room, slamming the door behind you.
With hurried steps, you entered your bedroom and climbed on to the bed. You buried your face in to the pillow and let out a frustrated scream.

Eventually you got up and went to the kitchen to cook dinner. The apartment was otherwise quiet with Jaewoo staying in his room. Which also gave you plenty of time to think about how to tell Yongguk about what happened. About everything that's happened.
You were so preoccupied with your thoughts, you didn't realize that your husband had arrived home until you felt his arms around you.
"Boo." he teased and kissed your cheek.
"Hey." you replied. "I didn't even hear you come in."
He chuckled and gave you a tight hug. Then he let you go and walked away. "Where's Jaewoo?"
Turning around to face him, you swallowed and your lips. "He's.."
"Hyung!" Jaewoo exclaimed as he ran into the kitchen and over to Yongguk.
"There you are." Yongguk happily said and knelt down. "How was your first day? Did you have fun with your classmates?"
"Yeah." he answered while still clinging to the older male.
Yongguk patted the dinosaur Jaewoo was still holding on the head. "And you have your buddy. He was waiting for you wasn't he?"
"No." Jaewoo quietly answered with a pout.
You swallowed thickly once more and stood completely frozen as you watched the scene in front of you.
Yongguk blinked at the boy in confusion. "No? What do you mean?"
"He was gone." whined Jaewoo. "I couldn't find him anywhere."
"What do you mean gone?" Yongguk questioned. Then he looked up at you and furrowed his eyebrows. "Why did you move him?"
The look he was giving you made any resolve you had weaken. "I... He was... in the dryer. I washed him."
Yongguk's face softened slightly at that. "Oh. Okay then." he commented. Turning back to Jaewoo, he said, "That was nice of noona, huh? Go wash up for dinner and then afterwards you can tell me all about school."
"Alright." Jaewoo agreed before leaving the kitchen.
As soon as the boy was gone, you opened your mouth to tell Yongguk everything that had happened. Your voice caught in your throat though as he narrowed his eyes at you slightly.
"Don't do that to him." Yongguk firmly stated. "You know how he attached he is to that dinosaur. He didn't even want to leave it behind when he went to school."
You blinked in surprise as your mouth hung open.
"I'm sure it's already hard on him being in a new place and going to a new school so don't stress him out anymore." he continued. "Please."
It took a few moments but you finally snapped out of your daze. Then you looked away as you let out a tiny scoff. "I just washed him."
"And it was nice of you," he offered, "But think about his feelings next time. Okay?"
Pressing your lips together to stop the harsh words you wanted to say, you merely nodded your head.
Yongguk let out an audible breath of relief and smiled at you. "Thanks." Then he gave you a quick peck on the forehead before walking out of the kitchen.
Tears instantly welled up but you wiped at them and rapidly blinked your eyes to stop them from falling.

You stayed silent during dinner and just listened to Yongguk ask Jaewoo a thousand questions about school. If he made any friends, if he liked his teacher, if he ate all his lunch.
Every now and again, Yongguk would flash a smile at you and you would smile back. As soon as he turned away though, you let the smile fade from your face. You just couldn't be as excited as he was.
After dinner, Yongguk and Jaewoo disappeared together while you stayed in the kitchen and washed the dinner dishes. You took your time doing the mindless task, letting yourself lose track of the time and hoping the day would be over soon.
When you were done, you went back to the dryer and found the basket of clean clothes that you had left. You picked it up and took it to the bedroom before dumping it on the bed. It didn't take you long to fold everything up and place it in the right drawers. Then you picked up Jaewoo's small pile of clothes and carried them to his room.
Yongguk and Jaewoo were spread out on the floor and surrounded by toys. You stepped around them and made your way towards the dresser. You hurriedly put each one in the right drawer, trying to finish quickly.
"Why don't you join us?" Yongguk offered.
You glanced down at the two of them and saw your husband smiling at you. Which made it so he didn't see Jaewoo pouting at him and then giving you a small glare.
"You two play." you answered and shook your head. "I have stuff to do anyways."
This time Yongguk was the one pouting but you forced yourself to smile at him. Then you left the room without looking back.
You hurried to the work room and took a deep breath. If only he saw how much Jaewoo didn't want anything to do with you instead of being so blind to it. You couldn't really blame him though in a way, he's been wanting this for so long.
Memories of all the times you tired to get pregnant but didn't flooded your mind. Following that little calendar meticulously. Then when you did end up pregnant...
You shook your head and took another deep breath. That was in the past and now you had a child. "Well, he has a child." you gloomily thought.

You stayed in the workroom until it was past Jaewoo's bed time. Only then did you quietly emerge from you hiding place. You could hear the television on the living room but you headed into your bedroom instead. You grabbed some pyjamas and went into the bathroom.
You stripped off your clothes and stepped in to the tub. Making sure the water was just right, you turned the shower on and felt the hot water cascade down your body. You closed your eyes and let yourself relax for a few moments. Then you turned away so the water sprayed on your back.
You grabbed the shampoo and quickly washed your hair. After rinsing it out, you rubbed conditioner through your hair. You let it sit while you reached for the body wash and began scrubbing your skin. That's when you noticed the mark on your leg.
You tenderly ran your fingers over the large bruise. You gently pushed on it until you felt pain radiate over your leg and then pulled your hand back. Biting your lip, you remember back to the moment when Jaewoo had kicked you.
Swallowing, you hurriedly finished cleaning yourself and rinsing your hair. Then you shut the water off and threw the curtain open. You stepped out of the tub and dried yourself off before putting your clothes on. Thankfully you had grabbed some pyjama pants instead of shorts to sleep in to hide the bruise.
You had just pulled your shirt over your head when you heard a knock on the door. Then it slowly opened a little bit and Yongguk poked his head in.
"Hey." he said and opened the door the rest of the way. "I wondered where you went."
"Just taking a shower." you commented as you started drying your hair with the towel.
Yongguk stood there and watched you as you finished. Then as you were hanging the towel up, you felt him come up behind you.
"You should have let me joined you." he whispered in your ear before kissing your neck.
You inhaled sharply and felt a shiver go down your spine. His hands gripped your hips before moving over your stomach and disappearing under your shirt.
"Yongguk." you uttered as your heart hammered in your chest.
Then his hands moved down to your legs and gripped your thighs. Including the spot where the bruise was, causing you to jump in pain and bite your lip real fast. That effectively killed any desire that was building up inside you and you grabbed his hands.
"Not tonight." you quietly told him.
He paused for a brief moment before turning you around to face him. "Is something wrong?" he worriedly asked you.
"It's... nothing." you lied, feeling instantly guilty. "I'm just really tired."
He slowly nodded his head. "Alright." he said and kissed you. Then he pulled you in for a tight hug. "I love you."
You brought your arms up to hug him back but it wasn't as tight as his. "I love you too." you echoed back.