Chapter 14

Hope and Chances

Your eyes fluttered open when you felt a hand on your shoulder.
"Hey, breakfast is done."
Then the hand moved away and you heard footsteps leaving the room.
You were in a bit of a daze as you brought your hand up to your cheek. Until you recalled the events of last night and felt a twist of nausea in your stomach. You quickly moved your hand off your cheek and squeezed your eyes shut. You shouted curses in your head but kept your body still, feigning sleep.
After a while, you calmed down and opened one eye to peek at the time. Yongguk would have left with Jaewoo by now. So you kicked off the covers and got out of the bed.
You found your breakfast plate on the table and sat down to eat. Except you ended up picking at it more than anything, not having much of an appetite.
Suddenly you heard the front door open and close. You stood up and went over to the doorway to see Yongguk in the living room.
"What are you doing here?" you inquired.
"Staying home today." he informed you and let out a heavy sigh. "We need to talk. About last night."
You scoffed lightly. "No, we don't." Then you turned and went back into the kitchen.
"Yes we do." Yongguk insisted as he followed you.
You went over to the table to clean your plate but his hand grabbed your arm, stopping you. You turned to face him while pulling your arm away at the same time. Then you took a step back from him.
"Look, I know Jaewoo wasn't exactly your first choice." he stated. "But you agreed to this."
You rolled your eyes at that. It wasn't exactly like he had given you much of a choice.
"So we're not taking him back." he continued. "And we are going through with the adoption no matter what."
You gave him a slightly puzzled look. "I never said I wanted to stop."
"Then what are you doing?" he questioned.
"I'm not doing anything." you firmly said, feeling anger growing in your body as you clutched your hands in to fists. "I tried. He's the one with the problem."
Yongguk's head jerked back a little in surprise before he narrowed his eyes. "Don't say that about him."
"It's true." you declared. "You're just too ing blind to see it."
"Enough!" he angrily shouted at you.
You inhaled sharply, surprised that he had yelled at you. Then you looked down at the floor as you felt your eyes water. "I am not lying." you uttered. "But fine. Blame me. Blame me for everything."
Yongguk glanced away as he sighed and shook his head. "Honey.."
"Since I'm at being a mother," you added spitefully, "Guess it's a good thing I can't give you a child."
"Stop it." he hissed at you. "You know I don't blame you for that."
You couldn't hold your anger in anymore and burst. "Yes you do! I'm nothing but a ing failure to you!" you screamed.
"No you're not!" he yelled. "I never said that!"
A few tears rolled down your cheeks. "You didn't have to say it." you sneered. Then you went to walk past him and out of the kitchen.
"We're not done." he stated, grabbing your arm again to stop you.
You roughly pushed his hand off of you. "Yes we are." Then you left the kitchen and stormed down the hallway.
You came up to your bedroom and entered it, slamming the door behind you. You quickly climbed on to the bed and threw the blanket over you while silently calling him every horrible name you could think of.

Even after you were done crying, you didn't emerge from your hiding spot. Nobody came to check on you too and you figured Yongguk had disappeared in to the workroom. You let your mind wander, wondering what would happen if you attempted to go sit at your desk. Would he say anything?
You phone alarm startled you out of your thoughts. Reaching over to the bed side table, you quickly turned it off before checking the time. It was time for you to go get Jaewoo.
With a heavy sigh, you threw the blanket off and slipped off the bed. You hurriedly dressed and then left the bedroom.
When you entered the living room, you noticed Yongguk was by the door and stopped abruptly.
He glanced up as he put his shoes on and looked at you. "I'll pick him up." he informed you, his tone not exactly pleasant. Then he opened the front door.
You swallowed before bitterly asking, "What? You don't trust me around your son?"
He stopped and whipped around to gape at you. That only last for a second though before he was glaring at you. "Yeah, my son. Cause you obviously don't care about him." Then he was outside and slammed the door behind him.
A sharp pain twisted in your chest as hot tears filled your eyes once more. You quickly turned and went to retreat back to the safety of your bed.
As you entered the hallway though, you stopped at the first door and peered in to the bedroom. At the blue walls, the race car blanket, and the dinosaur toys on the shelf.
"For someone who doesn't care, I sure put in a lot of effort." you muttered under your breath.
Rolling your eyes, you blinked away the tears and felt a pressure forming in your head. You rubbed your temples as you entered the bedroom and continued towards the bathroom.
You went over to the medicine cabinet and opened it, searching for some aspirin. Instead you saw the mini calendar staring at you. The one with certain dates colored in green. You blinked at in surprise, having nearly forgotten all about it. You had been so preoccupied the past couple of months with the whole adoption process.
You grabbed the calendar and swallowed. Then you moved to toss it in to the trash. Just as you were about to let it go though, you stopped. You stared at it curiously as you started counting days in your head. Had you really been that preoccupied?
With a shaky hand, you set the calendar down on the counter. You hesitated before searching through the cabinet again. Finding the last one, you reached for the test and held it tightly in you hand as you stared at it.
"It doesn't really matter either way so why bother." you thought to yourself while chewing on your lip. Yet you knew it would stay in the back of your mind the entire time.
Sighing, you opened the box and took the test out of it. You quickly finished and set it on the box before washing your hands. Then you went and sat on the bed, anxiously watching the time.
When enough time had passed, you hesitantly entered the bathroom and slowly approached the counter. Holding your breath, you peered down at the test. Positive.
Your jaw shook as a tear rolled down your cheek. Then you quickly grabbed it and threw it in the trash along with the calendar.

You were laying in bed when you heard the noises in the apartment, signaling the return of Yongguk and Jaewoo. You didn't stir though or make any attempt to go greet them. Not even when you heard someone at the doorway for a brief moment before walking away.
Time ticked by until your stomach growled with hunger. Glancing at the clock, you decided you should get up and cook some dinner.
You took a deep breath before getting out of bed. You left the bedroom and walked down the hallway. At Jaewoo's room, you could hear the sound of your husband playing with the little boy. You didn't slow your steps or peek in to the room though as you passed it.
You entered the kitchen and set about preparing dinner. When it was finished, you made three plates and put them on the table. Then you went back over to Jaewoo's bedroom.
"Dinner is done." you curtly said before turning and going back to the kitchen.
You sat at the table and a few moments later, Yongguk and Jaewoo came in. They each took a seat as well and you snuck a glance at your husband. At the same time, he looked at you. But then quickly looked away.
It was hard to miss the tension in the air between the two of you though. You even realized Jaewoo noticed as he glanced between the two of you. Nobody said anything though and dinner was eaten in silence.

You finished getting ready for bed and stepped out of the bathroom. Yongguk brushed past you wordlessly and quickly began brushing his own teeth.
You made your way to the bed and climbed in. You pulled the covers over you, adjusting them and your pillow just right. Then you laid down and waited for Yongguk to turn the light off.
After a little bit, you heard the noises from the bathroom stop. But you didn't hear him in the bedroom and the light stayed on. Opening your eyes, you saw him standing in the doorway and staring at you.
"What?" you questioned and sat up.
"You're pregnant." he quietly uttered.
Your mouth dropped a bit and you looked down at your lap. You swallowed before shaking your head and looking back up at him. "It doesn't matter."
He furrowed his eyebrows. "Of course it matters."
"No it doesn't." you insisted, knowing what was going to inevitable happen. And you didn't want him to get his hopes up only for them to be crushed again. "So don't. Just don't Yongguk."
He pressed his lips together and looked away. "Fine." he scoffed and turned off the bathroom light. Then he went over and turned the bedroom light off before climbing in to bed. His back to you.
You laid back down, turning your back to him as well.