Chapter 21

Hope and Chances

You rinsed out your mouth before you grabbed the towel to dry off. Small waves of nausea still flowed through you but it wasn't as bad as just a couple of minutes earlier.
"You have your appointment today, right?" Yongguk questioned as he rubbed your back.
"Yeah." you replied and sighed. Despite the pain you had felt the other day, you were still obviously pregnant.
"Think you can eat a little lunch?" he asked.
You turned around to face him and saw the worried expression on his face. "Not really." you confessed. "But I'll try to eat a few bites."
He nodded before grabbing your hand. You let him lead you out of the bathroom and all the way to the kitchen. Jaewoo was already sitting at the table and munching on his dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets.
"Do you like them?" you asked as you sat at the table.
He shyly smiled and nodded in reply since his mouth was full of food. You chuckled lightly and smiled back at him.
"Here you go." Yongguk said and set a plate in front of you.
"Thank you." you politely said and began to nibble on your lunch.
Yongguk sat down as well and began eating his lunch. He asked Jaewoo a few questions about school, including his new best friend. The girl that he had stood up for and was no longer getting bullied.
When the two of them were done, there was still plenty on your plate. Yongguk instantly gave you a worried look and reached for your hand. You squeezed his hand, reassuring him that you were fine.
"Do you want some of my cheese crackers?" Jaewoo quietly asked you.
You smiled at him and shook your head. "No, I'm alright. I'll eat some more later."
At that moment, Yongguk's phone suddenly rang. He stood up and retrieved it from the counter before looking at the screen. "Ah, this might be important." he said and then answered it as he walked out of the kitchen.
Grabbing both your plate and Yongguk's, you stood up and carried them to the counter. You set his in the sink and yours in the microwave. Maybe after your appointment, you could eat some more of it. You knew you really needed to with how many times you ended up in front of the toilet.
A sound made you turn around real fast and you inhaled sharply. Jaewoo was standing in the middle of the kitchen but his plate was broken on the floor. "How are okay?" you asked and took a few steps toward him. Then you abruptly stopped as you saw the horrified look on his face.
"I didn't mean it this time." he blurted out quickly, his voice strained. "I promise."
"It's okay." you told him with a small smile and knelt down in front of him, careful of the porcelain shards.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." he continued as his eyes watered.
You blinked at him in surprise. Then your mouth dropped open as he began to sob uncontrollably.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." he repeated over and over.
You hurriedly wrapped your arms around him and held him tightly. "It's okay. I know it was an accident." you reassured him.
At that moment, Yongguk walked in and his eyes widened. Then he hurried over and crouched down. "What happened?"
"Just a little accident." you informed him.
Jaewoo pulled back a little and pouted at your husband. "I'm really sorry." he whined.
"Are you okay? Did you cut yourself?" Yongguk questioned. The boy shook his head so Yongguk smiled. "Then everything is okay. The most important thing is that you didn't get hurt."
You smiled as Jaewoo and nodded in agreement. Then you reached up and brushed a few tears from the boy's face.
"Let's get this cleaned up." Yongguk said as he stood up. He went over to get the broom and dustpan.
You moved aside, pulling Jaewoo with you so you were both out of the way. Jaewoo leaned against you and watched as Yongguk carefully cleaned up the mess, making sure there weren't any tiny pieces left.
"There." your husband cheerfully commented when he was done. "All better." Then he went to the table and picked up Jaewoo's dinosaur for him. "Here you go."
Jaewoo smiled a little as he took his toy. His smile quickly disappeared though as he surveyed his toy. "Noona." he whined and held the dinosaur up for you.
You spotted the tiny amount of sauce on the dinosaur's foot. "Oh! Let's get that off before it stains." you said and took it from him.
You carried it to the sink and turned the water on. You got it wet before putting a little soap on it's foot. Then you rubbed it with your hand as you cleaned it. The whole time, you felt Jaewoo standing by you and his hand clutching at your pants.
When you were finished, you squeezed the excess water out of the foot. Then you held out of Jaewoo. He took it from you and hugged it tightly before a tiny smile spread on his face.

You stepped in to the room and sat on the bed. You answered the usual questions while your blood was drawn and the nurse hastily scribbled down your replies. Then she was out the door and you let out a sigh as you waited.
A while later, your doctor came in to the room and smiled at you. "So we're just having a quick check up to make sure everything is good?" she asked.
"Yeah." you answered. "I've been feeling so out of it and the nausea is horrible."
She nodded and gave you a little look of pity. Then she reviewed your chart and your lab results. "It does look like you're a bit dehydrated and you have lost some weight." she informed you. "Good enough to warrant some nausea medicine if you're interested."
"Yes please." you begged.
She chuckled and set the clipboard down. "Alright." Then she went over and pulled the ultrasound machine closer. "Let's take a look and make sure everything is good."
You laid back on the bed and pulled your shirt up. The doctor squirted some gel on your stomach before placing the probe on you. "Do you know how far along you are?"
"Actually no." you confessed. "I've been so preoccupied that I lost track of the days. We're adopting."
"Oh that's nice." she brightly said. Then she moved the probe around and hit a few buttons as you waited patiently.
After a bit, she furrowed her eyebrows and glanced at your chart. "How long has it been since your miscarriage?" she inquired. "About three or so months right?"
"Uh... yeah." you answered, thinking back to the whole adoption process. All the classes and background checks. Then Yongguk doing the visitations before Jaewoo finally coming home. "It doesn't even seem like it's been that long."
She nodded absently and pressed a couple more buttons. "Well, looks like it didn't take long for you to get pregnant again. You're at 10 weeks."
You stared at her for a moment before you realized what she had said. Then your mouth dropped open in shock. "What??"
"10 weeks." she repeated and turned the monitor.
You looked at the screen and the image on it. You could tell that she wasn't lying. It looked almost like the picture you had from your first pregnancy, when you had managed to stay pregnant for 10 weeks.
"So... what are you thinking?" your doctor hesitantly asked.
"I... I don't know." you confessed. "I never thought... I mean... I didn't expect to be this far along." You pressed your lips together and swallowed. "And I really don't expect to go much further."
The doctor slowly nodded and removed the probe from your stomach. "Well, so far everything looks fine." she informed you as she handed you some tissues. "So how about we do this one appointment at a time? We'll schedule another check up and if you miscarry before then, it's easy enough to cancel it."
"Alright." you mindlessly agreed. You took the tissues from her and wiped at the gel on your stomach before sitting up.
The doctor pushed a couple more buttons before the machine made a noise. Then it printed out a small picture and she ripped it off. "Here." she offered, handing it to you.
"Thank you." you said and took the picture from her. Then you heard her leave the room as you stared at the picture and felt your heart ache.

When you got home, you found Yongguk and Jaewoo in the boy's bedroom. Paper was scattered everywhere as they both practiced their drawing skills.
"I'm home." you greeted and sat on the floor by them.
"How did it go?" Yongguk asked you with a worried expression.
"Everything's fine." you told him. Then you nodded at him, indicating that the two of you can talk more about it later.
"Noona look." Jaewoo said as he grabbed a piece of paper and held it up.
You looked at the drawing of a dinosaur standing in a field of flowers. "Wow!" you exclaimed. "It's really good. Are you going to color it?"
"Yeah." he answered and reached for the large box of crayons. "Can you color with me?"
"Sure." you said and scooted closer to him. You grabbed one of the crayons and began to color one of the flowers.
"How's this?" Yongguk suddenly asked and held up his drawing.
You looked at it curiously, trying to decipher what it was suppose to be. Then you glanced over a Jaewoo to see his reaction.
The boy had his face scrunched up and he stuck out his lips. "That's not very good hyung."
Yongguk's face fell and you busted out laughing. Then Yongguk laughed as well as he nodded. "I'll stick to music, you can be the artist of the family." he told the boy.
Jaewoo let out a small giggle before turning his attention back to his dinosaur drawing. You and Yongguk exchanged a quick glance, smiling at each other, before you continued helping Jaewoo with the coloring.

Yongguk read Jaewoo a bed time story before tucking the boy in bed. Then as he made his way to the doorway, you crossed your arms and gave him a pointed look. He stared at you in confusion for a few seconds but then quickly turned and went over to turn on the night light.
Smiling, you shook your head at him and stepped out of the way. He left the room and shut the door a little, leaving it partially open. Then the two of you went to the living room.
"So... how did the appointment go?" he asked you.
You opened your mouth and closed it without saying anything. Then you took a deep breath and went over to your purse. You pulled out the little ultrasound picture and handed it to him. "10 weeks." you quietly stated.
His eyes widened and his mouth dropped open. "10 weeks??" he questioned, glancing between the picture and you.
"Yeah." you said with an unamused chuckle. "Hard to believe."
Yongguk slowly sat down on the couch as he stared at the picture. Then he looked up at you. "So... now what?"
You your lips. "I have another check up scheduled just in case." you informed him. "Since it's not a big deal to cancel it when I no longer need it."
He raised his eyebrows. "Honey."
"Yongguk." you retorted and gave him a pointed look. "You know what's going to happen, what always happens."
"But.."
"No." you firmly declared, cutting him off. "Just cause it lasted this long doesn't mean anything. The first pregnancy only lasted 10 weeks too."
He pressed his lips tightly together and looked down at the photo. You could tell how those words affected him and felt guilty about it. But you knew it was the truth.
"I'm sorry." you quietly said as you sat next to him. "I just... I don't want you to get your hopes up only to have you get hurt again." you told him.
"Yeah." he uttered, his voice sounding hollow.
Chewing on your bottom lip, you decided to change the subject. "Besides, we need to think about Jaewoo." You smiled a little. "Such a huge commotion over a broken plate.
"Yeah. That worries me." he confessed, still looking at the picture.
"It doesn't worry me." you declared. Then you giggled when Yongguk quickly looked at you in disbelief. "Think about it. Before he didn't care how he treated me or about any repercussions, thinking that he's going back to the orphanage no matter what. Now he's freaking out over a small accident and trying to be perfect."
Realization dawned on Yongguk's face as his mouth dropped open. "He's trying to make sure he stays here."
"Yeah." you agreed, your smile getting bigger. "Not only is he starting to accept this place as his home, but he wants to be here."
A big grin formed on Yongguk's face before he chuckled and nodded his head. Then he glanced down at the ultrasound picture in his hands one last time. "Better put this some place safe." he said and offered it to you.
You took it from him, your mood diminishing a little at the reminder. "Yeah." you agreed and stood up. You went to the hallway and made your way to the bedroom. You opened the bedside table and placed it with the other picture. You had moved it back once Jaewoo's behavior changed.
You looked at both pictures for a few seconds before closing the drawer. "Any day now." you thought to yourself. Then you banished the dark thoughts and instead, remembered Jaewoo relinquishing his dinosaur to you long enough for you to wash it. Happy thoughts.

A few weeks later, you were kneeling in front of the toilet. It was early in the morning, before you had a chance to take your medication. When you were done vomiting, you stood up on shaky legs and went to the sink. You rinsed out your mouth and splashed some of the cold water on your face. Then you were glaring maliciously at your stomach. "Seriously now, what the hell are you doing in there?"