Chapter 18

Hope and Chances

"Morning sleepyhead." Yongguk murmured and kissed your cheek. Then his hand gently rubbed your back.
You stirred awake but like the previous morning, a wave of nausea slammed in to you. Squeezing your eyes tightly shut, you let out a little whimper.
Yongguk's hand on you instantly stopped moving before he pulled away. You felt the bed move just a tiny bit as he carefully got off of it. Then the sound of footsteps as he left the room.
A few seconds later, the blanket lifted up a little and something was slid under it. You opened one eye just enough to take a quick peek and saw a package of crackers nestled under the blanket with you.
"I'll put your breakfast in the microwave." your husband whispered before you heard him leave the room once more.
You laid there for a while as the nausea slowly settled. When you felt able to, you slowly reached for a cracker and nibbled on it. It was about your fourth cracker that you started to feel better and stretched in bed.
With a sigh, you pushed the covers off of you and slowly climbed out of bed. You grabbed the package of crackers and closed them before hesitating. Rather than taking them back to the kitchen, you set it on the bedside table. You were probably going to need them tomorrow too.
You left the bedroom and headed for the kitchen. You found your plate in the microwave and sat at the table with it. You picked at the food, eating what you could.
Just as you were finished, your phone rang and you checked the screen. With a small shake of your head, you answered the call. "I'm up and I ate."
"That's exactly why I was calling." Yonnguk stated with a chuckle. "How are you feeling?"
"Better. Sort of." you replied and laid your head on the table. "Still feel icky."
Your husband whined a little and you could picture him pouting. "I'm sorry honey."
"It just happens." you said dismissively. "It'll be over soon."
There was a brief pause before Yongguk spoke again. "Maybe... you should go to the doctor's."
Closing your eyes, you stopped yourself from letting out a heavy sigh. "That would be pointless and you know why." you told him.
"I know." he quickly said. "I know. I just thought.... I mean... Do you know how far along you are?"
You lifted your head off the table and your lips. "No. I was so preoccupied with the whole adoption process, I wasn't really keeping track."
"Then... you should go. Just to make sure there are no complications until..."
He trailed off but you knew what he was saying. Until it happened.
"Alright." you relented. "I'll make an appointment. If nothing else, maybe they can give me something for the nausea."
"Yeah." he hurriedly agreed before you heard him let out a breath of relief. "Thank you."
You rolled your eyes but smiled nonetheless. Then you glanced at the time. "I'm going to go to the store. I told Jaewoo I would buy him more cheese crackers."
"I can do that." he said. "Stay home and take it easy. I'll even pick up Jaewoo from school."
"I want to get out." you countered. "And I think the fresh air will do me some good."
"Uh... well... Okay." he hesitantly said. "But just to the store and back. The closest store."
You laughed at that. "Yongguk, I'm fine."
"That doesn't stop me from worrying about you." he proclaimed.
Smiling, you shook your head. "Get back to work silly and don't worry so much."
"Never." he argued. "Well at least about the worrying thing, I do need to get back to work."
"Then go. Talk to you when you get home." you said with a chuckle.
"Love you."
"Love you too."

When you got to the store, you grabbed a basket and went over to the crackers. You grabbed two boxes of cheese crackers that way you knew you wouldn't run out soon. Then you also picked up another box of plain crackers for you just in case.
You paid for your purchase and left the store. As you were heading home though, you spotted another store and came to a halt. You chewed on your lip as you remembered back to the picture Jaewoo had drawn for you and how well he did on it. Then you made up your mind and walked into the arts and crafts store.
First you went to the paper section and looked through the different sketchbooks before deciding on one. Then you picked out some colored pencils and markers. He already had crayons from before, when you had gotten him coloring books with his toys, but you picked out another box for him. One that had lots more crayons in it of various colors and shades. Next was a ruler and some stencils, as well as some boxes for him to put everything in.
When you were in the pencil section, you surveyed the different styles and thickness. Then you caught sight of one particular set and a small smile formed on your face. You picked the set up and ran your thumb over the dinosaurs on the pencils before adding it with the other supplies.

Once you arrived at home, you set all the drawing supplies on the coffee table next to the dinosaur stuff animal that was facing the door. Then you took the crackers to the kitchen and put them away.
You poured yourself a glass of water and went to the workroom. You turned your computer on and sipped your drink while you waited. Then you opened your email and set about doing some work.
After a few hours, you received a text from Yongguk, "Sorry. Can you pick up Jaewoo? The meeting is running a little late."
You glanced at the clock and saw that it was about time for you to leave to make it on time. "Heading out now." you texted back as you stood up.
You quickly grabbed your purse and slipped on your shoes before hurrying out the front door.
When you arrived at the school, you went to the playground and saw Jaewoo climbing on the equipment. You stood there silently for a bit and watched him play. He noticed you though and stopped when he saw you.
You hesitated before bringing your hand up and waving a little. He continued staring at you for a moment before jumping down to the sand. Then he went over, got his backpack, and made his way over to you.
"You can stay and play some more if you want." you offered when he approached you.
He didn't say anything and kept walking past you. You blinked at him in surprise but then quickly caught up to him. The walk home was like before, both of you silent.

As soon as he entered the apartment, he ran over and grabbed his dinosaur. He clutched it tightly to his chest before looking at the bags on the table.
"Those are for you." you told him closed the door and took your shoes off.
"For me?" he questioned and went to peer inside one of the bags.
"Yeah." you said and went over to sit on the couch. You opened the bags a little so he could easily see what was in them. "I got you a sketchbook and some other drawing supplies."
He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as he looked in the bag. Then he lifted his head to give you a curios look. "It's mine?"
"Yes Jaewoo." you said amusingly. You dug through one of the bags and found the pencils. "I even got you these. They have dinosaurs on them." You held the pencils out for him and waited but he didn't take them from you. He just stood there, holding his dinosaur, and stared at the offering in your hand.
Hiding a sigh, you set the pencils down on the table and turned away. You should have known that one little act of kindness wouldn't change anything. Not this quickly anyways. You still need to just take baby steps and hope he'll warm up to you someday.
Suddenly a noise made you turn your head quickly and your eyes widened. Jaewoo was still standing there but this time, he had tears rolling down his cheeks. "J-jaweoo..." you stuttered in shock.
He took his eyes off of the dinosaur pencils and looked at you. "It's... mine?" he asked again, his voice strained and his bottom lip quivering.
You knelt down on the floor and put your hands on his arms. "What's wrong?" you worriedly asked.
He opened his mouth but only a sob came out. Then he squeezed his shut and buried his face in to his stuff animal while he cried.
"Oh Jaewoo." you said and pulled him closer to hug him. When he didn't fight you, you settled back on to the floor and pulled him on to your lap. Then you held him and rocked him while rubbing his back, trying to soothe him.
It wasn't long before you saw the front door open and Yongguk walked in. He froze when he saw the two of you and his eyes widened. He gave you a questioning look but you shook your head. Then he quickly moved to sit next to you on the floor.
"Hey." he quietly greeted and reached over to rub Jaewoo's arm.
Jaewoo turned his head to look at the older male. "Hyung!" he cried out and then quickly threw himself at Yongguk.
Yongguk wrapped his around Jaewoo as the boy settled on his lap. Then he pulled back a little so he could look down at Jaewoo. "What's all this about?" he inquired as he brushed a tear off the boy's cheek.
Jaewoo quickly reached up and rubbed at his face. "I'm sorry." he whined.
"For what?" Yongguk asked.
"Boys don't cry." he mumbled and kept rubbing at his eyes because of new tears forming.
Both you and Yongguk raised your eyebrows at that.
"Of course they do. Even I cry." Yongguk told him before glancing at you. "Right?"
"Yes." you insisted while nodding your head. "Everybody cries."
Your husband grabbed Jaewoo's hands and pulled them away from his face, letting the tears fall again. "Don't ever be ashamed to cry when you need to." he told Jaewoo.
Jaewoo pressed his lips together as he glanced between you two. Then he buried his face against Yongguk's chest as he cried some more.
"That's it." Yongguk encouraged as he began rocking the crying child. "Just let it all out."