Chapter 12

Hope and Chances

Tuesday morning followed the usual routine. Yongguk woke you up with a soft kiss before getting ready for work. You begrudgingly got out of bed and went to the kitchen, finding Jaewoo at the table still. You ate your breakfast silently and let Yongguk worry about getting Jaewoo ready for school like yesterday.
When your husband asked if you were coming along, you declined this time. Saying you had lots of work to do and this way he didn't have to make a special trip to drop you back off at home. He seemed a bit unsure about that but then eventually nodded his head in agreement. Then he gave you a quick kiss and hug before he ushered Jaewoo out the door.
That was when you realized what was different about this morning. Jaewoo didn't have the dinosaur in his arms. When the front door closed, you glanced around the living room but didn't see it.
You went to Jaewoo's room and looked around but didn't see it once more. Then an idea popped in to your head and you went over to his bed. You pulled the blanket back and checked under the pillow. Sure enough, there was the dinosaur.
You rolled your eyes and scoffed at Jaewoo's attempt to hide the toy from you. Then you spitefully grabbed the dinosaur and set it on the nightstand by his bed.

The rest of the day flew by as you continued to work through each of the binders on your desk. You were actually feeling very pleased with yourself for getting so much work done which helped brighten your dark mood.
That is until the alarm sounded for you to pick Jaewoo up from school and you immediately got a sinking feeling in your stomach. With a heavy sigh, you got up and headed out the front door.

Jaewoo was at the playground again and you watched him for a minute before calling out to him. He paused and glanced at you but instead of going to get his bag, he ran back on to the playground equipment.
"Jaewoo come on!" the teacher called out. "Don't keep your mother waiting!"
Your face heated up as you blushed. Mother. Yongguk had called you the same thing before and you felt it then. Except now you didn't. It just wasn't the same feeling.
Finally the little boy shuffled over to his bag and picked it up before heading over to you. You stuttered a goodbye to the teacher and then left the school yard.
Without saying one word to each other or holding hands, the two of you walked home.

As soon as Jaewoo entered the apartment, he ran for his room. You rolled your eyes, knowing he was going to check to see if his dinosaur was still there. You went to the kitchen instead and grabbed a drink for yourself. Taking a big gulp, you wondered how late Yongguk was going to be and hoped he would be home soon.
Sighing, you shuffled out of the kitchen and went down the hallway. When you passed Jaewoo's room, you noticed he had closed the door. You dismissed any thoughts about it though and continued your trek to the workroom.
You sat down at your desk and eyed the small stack of binders. Only a couple more to go and then you could take it easy for a few days. You glanced at the clock as you grabbed a binder and quickly started going through it.
You were only about half way done reading through the proposal when your work email alerted you to a new message. You curiously clicked on it and read through the text. There were a few questions about one of the accounts. You recognized it as one of the proposals you had already gone through.
You stood up and went to a box on the far end of your desk. You dug through each binder, trying to find the right one. You got to the bottom of the box though without finding it. You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion before going through each binder again. Nothing.
You went over to the stack of binders that you hadn't gone through yet, thinking it got mixed in with them, but you didn't find it once again.
You surveyed your desk and the empty floor before turning towards Yongguk's desk. You didn't accidentally set it there either though.
A crazy thought suddenly entered your mind as you stood there. "Would he...?"
Feeling your feet move on their own, you slowly left the workroom and walked down the hallway. You came up to Jaewoo's door and took a deep breath. Then you pushed the door open.
Jaewoo jumped and quickly looked up at you. His hand that was holding the crayon froze on top of the page he had been scribbling on. In a binder.
You quickly crossed the room to him and snatched the binder away. You flipped through the pages, seeing each one colored almost completely with a black crayon. Yet you were still able to tell that it was your missing work.
"Jaewoo!" you exclaimed in disbelief as you glanced down at him. "Why did you do this??"
He didn't say anything, just gave you a look of indifference.
"There's blank paper by my desk so why did you..." Your words died on your lips as you continued to stare at him. "You did this on purpose." you uttered, more statement than question.
At the accusation, he merely shrugged his shoulders. Then he tossed the crayon away before grabbing the stuffed dinosaur that was next to him. He bounced it in his lap, playing with it.
You pressed your lips together as you felt your eyes water. You turned and hurried out of the room, slamming the door behind. You went back to the workroom and over to your desk. You slammed the binder down on your desk before dropping in to your seat. Then you put your head in your hands as you cried from frustration.

Eventually you got up and made your way to the kitchen. You mindlessly threw something together for dinner. When it finished, you made three plates of food before going to grab some foil to cover Yongguk's plate. You barely pulled it out of the cupboard though when you heard the front door open and close.
"I'm home!" your husband called out.
Then there was the sound of footsteps running before Jaewoo emerged from the hallway. "Hyung!"
"Hey!" Yongguk happily greeted the boy. "You had fun at school today?"
"Yes." came a quiet reply.
Yongguk chuckled. "That's good. Let's go see what noona made for dinner."
You grabbed two plates and carried them to the table. Then the two of them entered the kitchen. Jaewoo climbed on to his chair while Yongguk came over to you.
"Hey." he greeted and gave you a quick peck on your cheek.
You didn't say anything in return and simply walked back to the counter for your plate. Yongguk sat down and smiled at Jaewoo, not noticing your dark mood. That is until you grabbed your plate and headed to the doorway instead of the table.
Yongguk quickly glanced at you in confusion. "Honey?" he questioned as he started to stand up.
"Hyung." Jaewoo whined as he grabbed Yongguk's hand and stopped him from leaving the table.
You shook your head and left the kitchen. You carried your plate to the workroom and kicked the door closed. Then you sat at your desk to eat your dinner.

A little while after you finished eating, you heard the door open and looked over to see Yongguk opening it.
"Honey, is everything okay?" he worriedly questioned and walked over to you.
You swallowed thickly before taking a deep breath. Then you grabbed the ruined binder and handed it to him. He seemed confused but took it from you anyways. When he opened it, his eyes widened a little in surprise. Then he flipped through a few of the pages.
"Jaewoo did you." you informed him.
Yongguk briefly glanced at you before looking back at the binder in his hands. He bit his bottom lip before saying, "Maybe he was just wanting to draw."
"There's no pictures. He just out the words." you declared. "He did it on purpose because he hates me."
He quickly looked at you again and furrowed his eyebrows. "What? No. Don't say that. He..."
"He told me so." you countered. "Yesterday."
Yongguk blinked at you, his mouth opening and closing without making a noise.
With a heavy sigh, you stood up and gave him a pleading look. "I'm sorry Yongguk. I... I didn't want tell you." You your lips nervously. "I tried spending time with him last weekend but he kept ignoring me. Anytime I tried to play with him, he moved on to something else. Then on Sunday he wouldn't even stay in the same room as me."
He shook his head in confusion. "But you said you worked all day."
"I know I did." you guiltily replied. "That's what I ended up doing after he wouldn't have anything to do with me." Then you winced a little, feeling even more guilty. "And I lied yesterday. When you asked if something was wrong. When Jaewoo couldn't find his dinosaur, he started screaming uncontrollably and smacking the floor with his bag. I tried to stop him but then he kept hitting me."
Yongguk's eyes widened in and his mouth dropped open. "He... hit... you?"
"Yes." you confessed while nodding your head. "That wasn't even his first violent act towards me. He threw his lunch plate at me Sunday but it missed me."
He stared at you for a few moments before looking away. You couldn't tell what he was thinking by the expression on his face and you shifted nervously.
"I'm sorry." you quietly offered again. "I didn't say anything cause I didn't want to upset you."
He didn't say anything but slowly nodded his head. He swallowed and looked at the binder in his hands once more before closing it. Finally he said, "I'll get off early and pick him up from school tomorrow. I'll talk to him then."
You let out the breath you hadn't realized you were holding. "Thank you."
He set the binder down on your desk and slowly nodded again. Then he turned and left the room without saying another word to you.
When he was gone, you felt a wave of nausea in your stomach and sat down. Wrapping your arms around your waist, you laid your head on your desk and closed your eyes. "Great," you miserably thought, "All this stress is making me sick."