Z-Town - Part 1

One-Shots
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Here you are, right in front of the famous place everyone hears about but no one dares to enter-at least until now.

Rumor has it that there have been a few brave enough to visit it, but no one’s ever heard from them again.

‘Zen Point Town’ Population 0.

The white and green sign sent chills down your spine.

“I can do it.” You told yourself and held your breath while taking your first steps forward.

Two large buildings stood at both sides of the empty main road. You observed them as you advanced slowly. They seemed empty but it’s been a long time since you last trusted first impressions.

You made a mental note to come back later to check and continued walking.

An empty fountain marked the center of the town’s square. To you it looked more like a circle but the map said otherwise.

You’ve read the map so many times that you could draw it with your eyes closed.

The town was quiet, almost too quiet.

You arrived at the fountain and heard a low growl that made you jump. You soon took out a hatchet and a knife, all your senses getting on high alert as you searched for the source of the noise.

You looked around, scanning the empty area and then started going around the fountain.

The growl was only getting louder as you advanced but you weren’t sure of where it was coming from.

You did a full lap around the fountain and found nothing, until you glanced inside.

You jumped back but then approached the fountain again with a nervous smile.

“It can’t hurt me.” You told no one while taking a closer look.

A disembodied head stared right at you, its mouth opening and closing as it tried to get closer, biting the air.

You thought of how miserable life would be if, after you turned into one of them, your head was stuck in that fountain so with a swift move of your hatchet, you put it out of its misery.

The growling stopped, making the town eerily quiet.

You stood back in the same spot you started and opened your map. Marking on it the fountain and the town’s entrance as the places you’ve already seen.

To your right stood the bank, and on the other side of it there was an alley with houses leading to the back of one of the empty buildings.

To your left there was a school, with its grounds right behind it.

And right in front of you, behind the fountain, there was city hall with a road on each side. You knew the road on the right led to the commercial side of town where all the stores still stood. The road on the left led to the woods.

You checked your backpack and saw you still had your tent so you decided to go to the woods to find a safe spot to set up camp.

You took the road on the left, leaving the fountain behind.

The squeaky sound of a swing reminded you of the park beside the school.

A smile spread across your face and you approached it, sitting on the swing and forgetting for a moment how the world has changed.

The light wind made the leaves dance and the bushes rustle.

You frowned, stopping the swing and glanced at the bushes behind you. The trembling was too strong for it to be caused by the wind.

You checked the time and noticed you should leave right away if you want to have a campsite set before sundown, and marked

Please log in to read the full chapter