Blind

High School Prince

I walked to school, nearly skipping, humming an unfamiliar tune along the way.

"Hey Wendy." I turned around briefly, face to face to Jacky, an amused grin on his face. Instead of frowning at him, I smiled sweetly. Then Jacky frowned.

"What's with the happy mood?" I didn't really know how to answer. The obvious answer was Jacky but that would be too embarrassing to even say.

"I don't really know," I lied. Jacky didn't buy it.

"You're sure you don't know?" he asked mischieviously. Uh oh, I thought. What's he up to?

He grabbed me by the arm, and leaned in close to me, hugging me. My face turned bright red, my heart skipping a beat, then started racing wildly. He was silent so I could tell he was trying to listen to my heartbeat. I wanted it to slow. He then released me, grinning wickedly. I walked away as fast as possible, hiding my face.

"Nothing you say? Are you sure that you're not happy about yesterday?" How did he catch on so well?

I continued toward the school grounds, avoiding him entirely because of total embarrassment. Looks like that's what I'm going to do for the rest of the day.

-------

I survived the last three periods but I wasn't really sure about lunch. He normally sat at the table where Lena and I sat. I decided to try eating someplace else. It looked warm outside so I decided to head out. Just after I closed my locker, Lena arrived. I normally saw her smiling, happy. I wonder what was up.

"Do you mind if I could talk to you privately?" Close up, I could tell her expression was furious.

I coughed a sure and followed her onto the school rooftop. When we were close to the edge of the balcony, she turned around swiftly, tears streaming down her face, her eyes blood-shot red.

I didn't notice that she was crying. I was too busy thinking the reasons why I felt so guilty. I had probably a million of them.

"You wouldn't think I would notice. But you're wrong." I kept silent, wondering when she would continue.

"Do you understand what dating means?" I was about to speak when she yelled, "it means when a couple love each other and no one else can come between us!" Obviously, that wasn't the correct definition but, I could tell where she was getting at.

"Let's get it straight. I saw you and Jacky, together just before school. I know you guys are childhood friends but that doesn't mean he likes you. We're dating for a reason! He likes me!" 

"But---" I then stopped myself. I was an idiot. Getting caught into this.

"I'm so sorry Lena..." I paused, deciding. "I'll-- stay away from Jacky."

Lena's face was still wet, but she used her sleeve to wipe off her tears. Surprisingly, she wasn't wearing make-up. She was just, naturally beautiful. Of course. Jacky and Lena were the perfect couple. Getting caught into this. I just ended up losing a best friend.

"You better ," she replied coldly.

Without saying another word, she stormed out. I slid down against the balcony, deciding to eat my lunch here instead and trying to control my tears. 

After a while though (when my tears cleared up), someone appeared on the roof. Goodness gracious, I muttered. It was Jacky. Of all times I needed him, he came on a time I didn't need him, a time when I needed to stay away from him.

I decided now was the right time to walk away. I dodged him as he walked through the door and continued on from there, not bothering to look back. 

"Hey! Where are you going?" he shouted after me. I ran down the complicated, metal staircase and down the hallway, avoiding the scolding teachers, toward the entrance. But... he got there first.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked angrily. I tried to push him aside but he stood there, rock-solid, blocking my path. It wasn't the only exit, I knew but even if I tried, I would just get into more trouble, and Jacky would still catch up to me.

"Just stay away," I threatened angrily. My voice came out hoarse and I was looking down the whole time.

"Why?" He approached me, wrapping his arms around me.

"Let go!" I shouted, tears rolling down my cheeks. "You're with Lena remember?" Jacky paused, astonished, then looked away. "Just go back to her already! She needs you more than me!"

"Right..." he muttered. It was like it all came back to him then. He started to turn back. What was he trying to do? And then I felt like it hit me, he wanted to play. He didn't love me. He was just fooling around. It was a trap. Once he caught me, it would cost more than just shame.

God I was such an idiot. I couldn't help but laugh at myself. My chest hurted from laughing. It felt like something cracked inside of me. I knew I couldn't run away forever, but it was also my best chance. I'll just continue life on like I didn't know him. I'll make new friends. That part was easy.

Well, that was slightly rushed, but I had to get it all down. xD