Confidential

High School Prince

Today was Friday. Tomorrow, the weekend. The week past in a blur and couldn't deny the fact that high school is going to be a life-changing experience. Before, I had someone to guide me. Here, I was basically on my own, choosing things on my own.

-----

I was cranky this morning. Barely awake. Jacky's appearance last night didn't help the fact that I had a lot of things on my mind. I stayed up all night wondering what happened. If Jacky wasn't in my life, I bet my life was a lot less stressful-- and exciting.

Today in class, Jacky was reported absent. I hope everything was okay. I tried asking Lena about it but she was even more clueless than me, even asking questions in return. I knew I had to wait till then.

The day passed by uneventful. It was slower than usual. It felt like the four days ago were just the time of the day and today was basically the following four days. That's how slow it felt like.

I was walking toward my locker when I noticed Mike Do, Jacky's best friend. I bet if I asked him, he would give me some answers.

"Mike! Mike!" I called down the hallway. He turned around slowly, a puzzling expression on his face.

"What's up?" he asked casually. He even placed his hands in his jeans pocket.

"Uhm..." I didn't know how and where to start. "Is Jacky okay?"

"Hmmm? Oh, Jacky?"

I nodded timidly, afraid that Mike would also reply with no information.

Mike then leaned in to whisper in my ear: "meet me at lunch at the school's rooftop. I'll tell you everything." He then walked away, more wary than casual.

Lena came over then, exploding in questions. Obviously she noticed Mike and I, so I tried to answer the questions best as possible, also trying not to give away too much information, especially to what happened last night.

The two periods passed and I believe that my homework folder looked like it was about to burst. I tried to imagine what it would look like by the end of the day, soon afraid.

Finally, lunch, I thought. I went to my locker, looking around for signs of Lena. She wasn't here yet so I threw my binders into my locker and grabbed my lunch bag, in a rush to get to the rooftop as soon as possible.

When I got to there, it was empty. I knew now that I was early and my efforts were sort of wasted. After a few minutes, Mike appeared, an apologetic expression on his face.

"I got held back by my friends." I nodded, smiling.

"You should understand though, that Jacky gave permission for me to confide to you," Mike began, winking at me. I smiled, knowing that Jacky places trust in me.

"Also, you should never tell this to anyone else." I was about to ask about Lena, but decided not to.

"If you're also wondering where Jacky is, he's at the Police Department right now. They're trying to sort things out for him." I was surprised, about to ask why.

But he then leaned in close to me, whispering me the whole story: "Jacky's family are sort of a criminal family. His family isn't that rich. They actually stole most of the money and goods to actually get where they are. His family stopped stealing after a few years later but it doesn't mean it cleared their record. The family promised to pay up the fee. Yesterday was the due date of the fee. Obviously, they couldn't pay up the half a grand." Mike paused, then cut to the chase, "his parents are arrested."

I gasped, in surprise. His parents always seem so kind. I couldn't believe the fact that they used to be criminals. I bet they wanted to change. I could tell.

"For how long?" I whispered, scared to hear the answer.

"Three years." Mike was silent, barely touching his lunch.

"But, Jacky would be out of high school then," I inquired. Mike nodded.

Now my mind was exploding. "What would happen to Jacky?"

"Well, the police are going to let him stay over at my place, in the basement."

At this fact, I was relieved. I stood up, ready to leave.

"Please take good care of him." Mike waved good bye, with a prompt smile.

"I will." I then left, my mind still off course.

Surprise, surprise? ! Hmm, now what would happen next...