Farewell Party: Official Day

High School Prince

I ran around the room like an idiot. An idiot with way too many things to do before 5:30. And well, it was precisely, 5:13.

"Hurry up mom!" I yelled from across the room. She glared at me and returned to her normal pace. Annoyed than ever, I doubled my efforts, getting the snack table ready in less than three minutes. 5:16. She still hadn't dressed. I haven't either. I dashed maddeningly to my room, slammed the door shut and hurried into my new black dress. RIP! I groaned, nearly wanting to scream.

"MOM!" I screeched.

"What??!" she hollered back.

"My dress ripped..." I yelled-muttered.

"Stupid girl. That's why you should take your time. Your friends wouldn't mind waiting and now your dress is ripped. Perfect." She kept rambling on about something I didn't really care about. Her sewing skills was thankfully still intact to her brain. She sewed the rip flawlessly.

"Thanks alot Mom!" I gave her a huge bear hug. I read the time. 5:23. I still had to get out the cake and put batteries into the camera.

"I'll take care of the drinks," my mother insisted. I nodded at her and returned to my hectic business, now more careful so to not rip my dress once more.

-------

"You look gorgeous!" Michelle Tran cried at the top of her lungs. My mother was upstairs dressing and I was actually happy that she wasn't down here. It took her a long time to prepare also, so that was good. She wouldn't say anything embarrassing in front of my friends... For now. Some friends from my class arrived here next followed by the student council members. Some even bought me presents whereas I mentioned before not to.

"You look really nice," Gregg praised. He handed me a small gift box.

"I know you told me not to, but com'on we're friends. I want you to remember me somehow." I thanked him and returned to the door.

My friends chattered to each other near the punch bowl while I waited for the remainder of the guests to arrive. Next was Mike Do, which surprisingly wasn't accompanied by Jacky and Lena.

"Where are they?" I asked, a little too curiously.

"Oh, Jacky and Lena can't make it... Lena had invited Jacky to a party over at her dad's business centre..." Mike mumbled, sad.

"What? But when I asked him if he could come, he said yes."

"This came unexpectedly. He said that his girlfriend came first."

I was no longer in the mood for partying. My excitement already died when Mike told me he wasn't going to be here. Instead of staying with my friends, I ran to my room.

"Honey? Where are you going? This is your party! Go enjoy it." I slammed the door in my mother's face.

Tears streamed down my face. So there was not going to be any last farewells. I decided to send a letter to Lena. I started writing a draft. After I proof-read it, I wrote it onto my new stationary I bought a week ago. I sealed it with a sticker, climbed out the window, and ran in my barefeet to the nearest post office.

"May I purchase a stamp?" I asked the clerk.

The clerk was takened aback from my horrid appearance: my smeared mascara, my having-no shoes and my ever-so-formal dress.

"Sure..." she mumbled.

After it was sent, I walked back home, in no hurry back.

"What the hell are you doing out here?" a voice I recognized too well asked.