Dear Prudence

Anthology Of My Beloved
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun is up, the sky is blue. It's beautiful and so are you. Dear Prudence, won't you come out to play?

 

The year 1997

 

The vast less sky is blue, the illuminating golden sun is shining so brightly representing summer is really hitting the year, the unseen sea breeze is refreshing yet warm on the skin, the white sand is glowing under the radiant sunrays; the waves are quiet and calm; the beach is a treasure scenery. It is so beautiful—his favorite place out of all.

 

Hyunseung just woke up; he dragged his little feet in his yellow pajamas towards their kitchen. His mom is facing him her back with an orange apron hanging on her front frame with the strands messily looped at her back waist. Hyunseung continued his tracks until he reached his seat on their dining table with his legs dangling above the air.

 

“Hyunseungie! My precious, Hyunseungie!”

 

His mother greeted him enthusiastically after sensing his presence behind her back.

 

“Happy birthday dear.”

 

And he was lovingly kissed on his forehead—soon on both of his cheeks while two slender palms are on the side of his head.

 

Hyunseung loves his mom so much. She is all he got apart from Dujun, his best friend. There is really not a long set of people who he cares and vice versa. There are a few and he is contented with that.

 

“Thank you, mommy.”

 

He answered with a wide smile as he placed his smaller arms around his mother’s neck, as far as he could reach while the woman is scrunched down in front of him.

 

“There, there. Release mommy first so I can get your cake.”

 

Of course he complied immediately. He loves cakes! After his mom and Dujun, cakes are the next best thing in the world. And chocolates and ice creams and candy bars and the beach. Yes, the beach.

 

“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday my dear Hyunseung, Happy birthday to you.”

 

His mom is always the perfect singer for him. When he finds it hard to sleep at night, he will always ask for her to sing him a lullaby and it always do the magical trick that puts him in a peaceful slumber in no time.

 

A strawberry filled-cake with whipped cream all over and real strawberries on top was in front of him with a lighted candle of number eight. He grinned widely knowing that his favorite is served at him. His mom is really the bestest!

 

“Now make a wish and blow your candle.” His mom said now with a film-roll camera on her hands.

 

Hyunseung closed his eyes and recited his wish inside his mind. His mom told him that wishes are supposed to be secrets and they really do come true if he will be a good child.

 

Blowing the lighted candle, a flash was seen after.

 

“Mommy?”

 

“Can we go to the beach?”

 

“Please?”

 

He’d never been to a beach before. He can only see them from across the car window or from pictures. He really loved the calmness and the view of the huge sky that reflects in the water. So when the car stopped, he immediately removed his sandals, not caring where he dropped them and let the warm white sand buried his little feet.

 

It is so relaxing. So this is how it feels like being in the beach.

 

He wants to be here forever. Now he thought if maybe he can ask his mom to move somewhere near in the beach. He would really love that.

 

A pair of hands hold his writs and when he looked up, he was meet by a happy Dujun. Oh he almost forgot he kidnapped his best friend earlier. Nah, he’s just kidding. Hyunseung and his mom were only approaching their car when they saw the boy running towards them with a red box that he later gave to his best friend, telling that it was his birthday present from him. Hyunseung find a Buzz Lightyear toy and he immediately thanked the other kid for that.

 

“Come on. Let’s get in the water.”

 

Hyunseung nodded though he is still enjoying burying his feet in the sand. His shirt was suddenly lifted up until it was completely out of him and was tossed on the sand alongside with Dujun’s too. They didn’t waste anymore time before jumping in the water.

 

“Don’t get too far boys.”

 

He admitted that he was a little scared since it is his first time being in the sea and to add that he doesn’t know how to swim makes him think he is such a wimp. But Dujun told him that he shouldn’t be worried because he will be at his side all the time. It made him really relaxed.

 

“Will you teach me?”

 

“You need to learn how to float first.”

 

“Float? How is that?”

 

“Just lay on the water and try not to drown. Stay on the surface like this.”

 

And he saw Dujun laying on the water like it is his bed. A wonderful water bed. Hyunseung was so amused that he copied every move of his best friend but slowly he is being engulfed by the water. He immediately stands up and faced a laughing Dujun.

 

“Ugh, I will never learn how to swim.” Hyunseung frowned after realizing his recent failure.

 

“It will take time, Seungie. Why don’t you ask your mom to enroll you in a swimming class? You can come with me and we will be classmates.”

 

“Really?”

 

Dujun nodded in response while grinning widely, definitely liking his suggestion. They are undeniably having the time of their life.

 

They remained playing and splashing water at each other for a while before Hyunseung saw some people building something out of the sand.

 

“What are they doing?”

 

“They’re building sand castles. You wanna try?”

 

Hyunseung eagerly nodded again. Wow, this is so fun. Dujun happened to found two plastic cups and they are now starting to make their castle.

 

“Seungie, you will be the princess locked up in the castle and I will be the knight in shining armor prince that will save you from the dragon that is guarding.”

 

“There is a dragon?”

 

“A very big and ugly dragon.”

 

“Why will I be the princess though? I’m not a girl.” The smaller boy pouted in disagreement at his best friend.

 

“But you are pretty. Prettier than any other girls I see, including Hyuna. Besides, I will only make an ugly girl. It won’t suit me that’s why I can’t be the princess.”

 

“Okay. But you are a handsome prince. You’re not ugly, Doo.”

 

Dujun looked up at him and smiled at him lovingly. But slowly it dropped when he noticed something strange to his best friend.

 

"Seungie, what is that?" Dujun pointed his tiny finger at the base of his nose.

 

"What?" Hyunseung asked confusedly while reaching the said place. He can feel something wet and sticky. When he dropped his finger infront of his vision, he saw red.

 

"Are you bleeding?" Dujun is now immediately at his side and before he can ask any further, Hyunseung collapsed on his arms. Dujun never felt so scared because he doesn't know what happened to his best friend. Is he sleep

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter