Chapter 9

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

|9|

 

 

Footsteps slowed as they approached the door to a familiar unit. A hand was raised, hesitation evident as the fingers trembled over the number keypad. The person looked to her companion for reassurance.

 

“Go on, Juhyun,” was the response.

 

Juhyun turned to punch in the code that would open the door to their old haven – one that had housed their group as they struggled in the entertainment world. The door slid open with a soft creak and a familiar setting welcomed them, memories of the past swept their way as a wave of nostalgia hit them.

 

A furry bundle ran towards them, startling Juhyun and her companion at first, before familiarity took hold once more.

 

“Ginger!” Taeyeon’s loud booming voice echoed from some hall.

 

“Ginger! Where are you? It’s time for lunch.” Taeyeon’s petite body appeared from the hallway, her eyes searching for the black fur ball only to see that it was now eagerly welcoming the visitors at the threshold.

 

“Hello, unnie.” Juhyun greeted as soon as she stepped inside the dorm with a familiar person in tow. Ginger barked happily at the arrival of familiar playmates. Taeyeon’s eyes lit up upon seeing the taller figures remove their shoes, don house slippers, and settle for the foyer.

 

A warm hug and a kiss on the cheek, as a welcome, were received by the two newcomers.

 

“Oh, Taengoo, I’m so glad to be able to come by! We brought lunch!” Juhyun’s companion gushed, crushing the petite older woman in her tight embrace before handing the oldest two bags of food containers.

 

Juhyun chuckled at the adorable sight, unable to hold her giggles as she heard her Taeyeon-unnie’s groans and protests.

 

“Choi Sooyoung!” Taeyeon barked, her voice almost muffled by Sooyoung’s clothes. “Lemme go!”

 

Sooyoung received a playful smack on the after she released the older girl. The Choi only laughed at the pouting Taeyeon, whose hair had become disheveled and whose clothes had been wrinkled. Taeyeon’s dog had joined the playful atmosphere, jumping towards his master, almost making Taeyeon lose her balance at the sudden pounce.

 

The younger girls had laughed more to this, infecting Taeyeon as well, right after she had brushed her dog off her form, telling Ginger to ‘stay and be a good dog’ while she placed the bags on the kitchen counter before she settled on the couch beside Soo and the maknae.

 

“How’s unnie?” Juhyun inquired, eyes filled with concern and curiosity.

 

“Which unnie?” Taeyeon had decided to play with the maknae, hoping for a little revenge at the earlier episode.

 

Juhyun’s infamous elbow found Taeyeon’s side, “Unniee~” the youngest whined, much to the older girls’ amusement, “You know which unnie I’m talking about.”

 

Taeyeon’s silly grin was still plastered on her face when she answered, “She’s fine, you two. You don’t need to worry about that. Haven’t you read my updates in our chatroom? Fany’s over at her room, taking care of her while I tended to Ginger’s needs. Yoong is still asleep in her old room.”

 

 +++

 

Eyes roamed over the slumbering figure on the bed, the soft hums of the infusion pump and the subtle snores coming from the patient were all that could be heard. Tiffany watched, silently observing the changes that had come upon her dear friend over the years that went by. She noticed a lot of changes - from the gauzes peeking from Jessica’s clothes, to the older girl’s now long dark tresses.

 

“Oh, Jessi, you should know how I regretted not stopping you from leaving…” Tiffany whispered, eyes b with tears, pent up tears that had long threatened to fall when the older girl had left them for the States.

 

Jessica had been deep in slumber, unable to heed her friend’s pent up feelings. Tiffany simply continued on with her rant, unaware of the figure standing outside the room, “You know, Jess, I’ve dreaded this day. I’ve dreaded seeing you in this state way before you left. I could’ve stopped you from going. I could’ve tried harder in changing your mind.”

 

Tiffany tried muffling her sobs, covering her sniffles with her hand.

 

Outside the room, Juhyun found herself hesitating upon hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter