Chapter 14

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

|14|

 

Seohyun heard the conversations coming from the living room as she lingered in the hallway. The maknae had just awakened from her nap inside her room and she was just about to grab a snack when she heard the noisy chatter coming from the older girls. A smile ghosted over her face as she reminisced the times when they were like this.

 

I miss those times….

 

She was momentarily startled when Ginger nuzzled her legs, the black dog sat before her, wagging its tail. Seo Juhyun smiled, running a hand over the dark fur of the dog’s head.

 

Seohyun remembered sending off her second eldest sister at a private military airbase. She remembered how everyone had ditched their plans for the day just to see their little soldier off. Seohyun could still remember tearing up upon seeing her unnie’s fresh appearance that day. She remembered how Jessica had chopped off her lovely brunette locks, settling for a shorter hair length that was enough to tie into a ponytail. She recalled her unnie donning a plain white shirt paired with fatigue pants and boots.

 

Jessica, much to everyone’s amusement looked like some kid playing dress-up, only that she wasn’t. Her loaded military backpack that sat near them was a testament that Jessica could be leaving Korea for good, and leaving their homeland meant leaving them, much to their grief.

 

+++

 

 “Yah! Be careful out there! I won’t forgive you if you get hurt.” Sooyoung warned as she embraced her long time friend.

 

Jessica only chuckled as she returned the hug, planting a peck on Sooyoung’s cheek before they pulled away. “I will, Soo. Don’t worry.”

 

“Jung Sooyeon! Never forget that this is real life. This isn’t some video game we used to play anymore, okay? You can’t reset this one! But, if you ever quit, I always have a place for you at the company, my love.” Sunny said as she squeezed Jessica’s cheeks between her palms and planted a wet kiss over Jessica’s forehead before pulling the taller girl into her arms.

 

Jessica was beginning to get teary eyed when they both pulled away. “Don’t worry, love. I’ll make sure to keep my ‘mana levels’ in check and stay alive in the game.”

 

“You better survive this one, Jung. I won’t forgive myself for letting you go through with this if you don’t come back safe and sound.”

 

Jessica smiled, giving Sunny one last bear hug before another sister stepped in to see her off.

 

“This is awkward, Jess.” Hyoyeon mutter under her breath, earning giggles through the whole group. Jessica had to restrain her laughter, noting that her soon-to-be seniors at work were watching.

 

Jessica playfully landed a light slap on her friend’s arm. “Way to ruin this solemn moment, Hyo.”

 

They both chuckled before they hugged each other, playfully bumping each other much to everyone’s amusement.

 

“Gosh, I shouldn’t have agreed on this, Jess.” Hyoyeon suddenly blurted.

 

Jessica arched a brow, “Why?”

 

Hyoyeon grinned at her, “Because I’ll be losing to you whenever we would get at each other’s throats when you come back here for vacation or something. I mean, you’d be trained to fight there and I’ll be easily outmatched since you’d be all macho and cool like those muscle-y dudes there.”

 

Everyone chortled at Hyoyeon’s remark. Time and again, Hyo had proven to them that she was and still is the resident mood-maker of the group.

 

And then came Yuri, who playfully patted Jessica’s crown, making Jessica feel like a kid. “Remember to stay healthy, kiddo. I don’t want to see you getting bullied there. I want a stronger Jung Sooyeon when she comes back. Okay?”

 

Jessica replied with a silly grin as she lost herself in her close friend’s embrace. “I’m going to miss you, Kwon.”

 

“Yah! You’re going to make me cry, idiot! Stop that!” Yuri tightened her hug, nonetheless; trying hard to keep her tears from falling as Jessica returned the embrace. When they both let go, Yuri planted a soft peck on the older girl’s forehead before giving her one last hug.

 

Seohyun had been hesitant when she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter