Chapter 8

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

|8|

 

 

She tightened her hold on the other person as she carefully took strides toward the bathroom, one hand supporting the person’s weight while the other manipulating the IV pole. She tipped forward, almost collapsing face first, the weight on her back overbearing her own as she took a foot forward. Luckily, she managed to catch herself, her breath caught as she steadied her own weight and the body behind her. It was a hard task, which needed a lot of endurance and coordination, but Tiffany wasn’t easily deterred.

 

If TaeTae could manage this alone then, I can as well.

 

Tiffany felt the warmth engulfing her entire back as she ambled slowly and cautiously. She could feel Jessica’s tresses tingling on her neck. The Jung had grown her hair as she rose through the ranks of the military and drew closer to becoming an excellent soldier. The U.S. army was lenient with regard to females. They just needed their female soldiers to tie up their hair into buns while on the job.

 

If there was one thing that Tiffany had noticed besides Jessica’s injuries, it would be the older one’s weight. The burden on her back wasn’t as heavy as it had been when they were younger.

 

“You’ve gotten lighter, Jessi…” Tiffany pointed out as soon as they’ve reached the bathroom.

 

“Military food and hospital food weren’t really tasty, Tiff.” Jessica replied.

 

Tiffany helped her to sit on the toilet, eyes meeting Jessica’s as soon as the sergeant had settled on the seat. “How many days did you spend in the hospital back there?”

 

Jessica shrugged as she tried fiddling with her hospital attire, “Uhm, I don’t really recall. I think two or three days? Well, that was well after I got transported from my point of deployment. So, yeah, I don’t really know how long… uh, can you help me take these off?” Jessica tugged at her shorts which were hidden beneath the gown.

 

“Umma and appa must’ve been worried…” Tiffany muttered as she helped Jessica in shrugging off her lower garments.

 

“They were. It nearly broke my heart when I saw mom cry.” Jessica remarked, “But I was glad that Soojung was there. She really took charge in my parents’ stead. I’m guilty for ruining her schedules here, though.” The Jung lowered her gaze at the thought of being a burden for her own sister.

 

Tiffany lightly patted her friend’s head. “Jessi, it was uncalled for. It wasn’t your fault, dear.” The raven-haired woman planted her lips over the disheartened one’s forehead. With a smile, Tiffany added, “Now, do your business, okay? I’ll be right outside if you’re done.”

 

“Thank you, Tiff.” Jessica smiled back.

 

“Anything for my dear little sergeant.” Tiffany said with a wink before she disappeared behind the door, not allowing for Jessica to make a rebuttal.

 

 +++

 

Jessica thought back to the past as she sat there in the bathroom. Her mind delved way back, just before her enlistment. She thought about the series of events which got her into making the decision that would lead her to her current state.

 

What could have happened if I hadn’t made that decision? Would life have been a lot more different for me and everyone else?

 

Jessica wasn’t stupid. She may have dazed a lot on interviews when they were on the spotlight, she may have had delayed reactions to certain situations, she may have looked like a noo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter