Chapter 20

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

|20|

 

One Year Later…

 

“Sooyeon..”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Remember that time when you were having your therapies? There was never a day where you’d come home without shedding your tears. I-”

 

“You had to stay up all night comforting me, putting up with my stresses, and losing sleep all the same. I – I’m really sorry for that.”

 

Jessica’s companion smiled, taking the Jung’s hand in her own, “It was all worth it, Sooyeon.”

 

“But still…”

 

“It was heartbreaking to see you struggle back then. It always broke my heart whenever I saw you stumble and fall. It hurts to be kept from helping you whenever you do. W-Wait, Sooyeon… Are you crying? Omo!”

 

Jessica buried her face into the other person’s chest when she remembered that particular moment.

 

+++

 

“Nice to meet you, soldier. You must be Sgt. Jung if I am not mistaken. How are you feeling?” The military doctor asked once Jessica was wheeled into the base’s huge military rehabilitation center.

 

“I’m feeling better now. I’m here for the start of my therapy as advised by my physician.” Jessica handed him the note from her doctor and waited patiently with Taeyeon situated behind her wheelchair.

 

“You sure are in a hurry to get back to work, huh. You might want to rest for a bit more, sergeant. Those healing injuries will take a toll on you when you start with the physical therapy.”

 

Jessica shook her head, “I think I’m fit now. I’ll know when my body thinks it has had enough.”

 

“Okay then, we’ll start with your warm ups. I’ll have someone to assist you in a while.”

 

And with that, they were led to a huge room similar to a small gym where recovering soldiers did their exercises. Taeyeon and Jessica’s appearance caught the attention of most of the occupants in the room. Even the females stopped in their warm-ups. Taeyeon consciously retreated to her shell upon seeing the attention given them. They both settled for a corner of the room and this was when Taeyeon broke her silence, leaning forward to Jessica’s ear, “So, I take that this is a normal occurrence to you?”

 

Jessica peered at her innocently. “Huh? What do you mean?”

 

Taeyeon pointed with her eyes at the several pairs watching them, “This. All this attention.”

 

Jessica followed her line of sight and realized what the older woman had meant. “Oh, that. Well, somehow. It was, but it wasn’t really like this when I was in the States. My comrades were mostly guys and they’re very disciplined.”

 

“Hmm. That’s good.”

 

“Jessi!” A shout from afar made the two flinch. They knew that voice so well. Taeyeon and Jessica both turned to see Tiffany and Krystal strolling towards them, earning more of the other soldiers’ attention. “Sorry for being a little late. I had to park our car on another block and Krystal’s been dosing off while I was at it. So, when are you starting, Jessi? How come your instructor isn’t here yet?”

 

Jessica chuckled at Tiffany’s eagerness, “Slow down, tiger. Taengoo and I are still waiting for her…or him…”

 

+++

 

The three onlookers couldn’t bear to keep their eyes on the struggling person as she tried standing from her seat. They had retreated to a private room where basic recovery training was individualized. It had only been about a few minutes into Jessica’s therapy but Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Krystal couldn’t stomach seeing Jessica in agony as the young sergeant tried standing on both legs, arms shakily supporting her frail frame as she did so.

 

Jessica’s therapist was nearby, spotting her should she fall and giving her instructions as well as words of encouragement as the soldier struggled with her own weight.

 

“That’s it, sergeant. You’re almost there. Now, try transferring to the two railings.”

 

Jessica complied with a bit of discomfort as she slowly shifted her weight, her hands transferring their grip from her anchored wheelchair to the railing handle before her. The therapist turned to their audience of three and picked out Krystal to help.

 

“You there…”

 

Krystal gestured questioningly to herself and after receiving a nod from the instructor, she stepped forth.

 

“May I know your name, miss?”

 

“My name’s Krystal. I’m Sergeant Jung’s younger sister.”

 

“Oh, nice to meet you, Krystal. Now, I’d like you to help out on your sister’s therapy.” The female therapist said with a smile as she shifted her gaze from a sweaty Jessica to a calm Krystal and vice versa.

 

“I’d be happy to help.” Krystal had replied.

 

“Now, I’d like you to spot your sister. She might fall in the middle of her therapy so please do catch her from behind. Sergeant Jung hasn’t fully recovered from all of her injuries so some activities will be very strenuous and painful for her. The doctor had ruled out some of her activities for the moment so we shouldn’t worry of her wounds reopening. For now, Sgt. Jung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter