Chapter 18

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

|18|

 

Taeyeon had a smile on her face as she poured the milk into the tall glasses that she had taken from the cabinet. Sunny took notice of this and a teasing grin began to etch on her face.

 

“Hey,” Sunny began, startling the older girl, “You seem to be happy right now. Did something good happen?”

 

Taeyeon’s elated expression turned into one of innocence. “What do you mean, Soonkyu?”

 

“Aish, stop calling me by that name.” Sunny hissed before she went back on topic, “You have this silly smile on your face while preparing the milk, Taeng. Did Sooyeon do something to you?”

 

Taeyeon sighed, “I’m just happy. Can’t I be?”

 

Sunny playfully elbowed her best friend, “I’m just delighted that you’re sort of happier now that Sooyeon’s here.”

 

Taeyeon blushed and she lowered her head to keep her friend from seeing the rosy cheeks and the heat crawling up her neck, diffusing into her face and ears. Sunny giggled upon noticing Taeyeon’s reddened ears, “You’re so cute, TaeTae!”

 

“Stop it. You’re embarrassing, Soonkyu.”

 

But Sunny wouldn’t stop. She still continued on with her teasing and Taeyeon found herself helpless against her best buddy. In an attempt to distract the CEO, the oldest motioned for Sunny to bring the plate of cookies to the girls waiting in the foyer. Taeyeon had not finished with the milk yet and had needed to open another carton upon seeing that she had only filled two tall glasses.

 

“I’ll be right over after this, so go ahead, Soonkyu.” Taeyeon said in an attempt to drive Sunny away and to keep her from teasing any further.

 

The younger woman smiled at her before she headed out of the kitchen to settle down with the Jung sisters.

 

A relieved sigh escaped Taeyeon’s lips before she resumed with her task, strolling over to the huge fridge where she took out another milk carton. Memories of the injured sergeant flooded her mind. Sending Jessica off to the airport only felt like yesterday, but Taeyeon was quite sure that it had been years since the event occurred.

 

Taeyeon vividly remembered what happened that fateful day.

 

+++

 

She gingerly held the helmet meant for the younger woman. The hard object was a bit heavy to her hands, but Taeyeon knew that this was meant to protect Jessica’s life should the Jung be deployed in dangerous areas.

 

Kim Taeyeon took a step toward the departing sister right after Krystal had said her farewell to her older sibling. Taeyeon tried to hold in her worry and sadness, knowing full well that Jessica wouldn’t like to see that on her face. And so, Taeyeon summoned up a smile, a practiced one.

 

“Here,” Taeyeon said as she placed the helmet on Jessica’s head. She found Jessica’s smile beneath the oversized helmet. Taeyeon leaned closer, wrapping her arms around the slightly taller woman’s waist before whispering into the Jung’s ear. “Always remember that I’m your helmet. And I’ll always. Always. Protect you no matter what.” Planting her lips on the helmet, Taeyeon momentarily pulled away, only to be startled by tears running down the second eldest’s cheeks.

 

Panic struck through Taeyeon’s being as she frantically cupped the younger woman’s face, fingers and thumbs wiping the saline liquid trailing down Jessica’s skin.

 

“F-First-b-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter