Chapter 8

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Spending many hours everyday, reading pages of material was exhausting for Sunjung, to say the least. She had been going through the manuscript for Yixing’s book and completely drowned herself in her work. She hadn’t been going out for lunch with Gaeun, she hadn’t had the time to call her mother...basically, and the only people she was communicating with were Yixing, her boss, Gaeun and occasionally, Lu Han.

Sunjung blinked rapidly, her eyes watering slightly due to hours of staring at a computer screen. She leaned back in the chair, stretching her arms and then reaching to massage her neck. A yawn threatened to escape but she quickly stifled it when there was a knock on the door.

“Come in,” she said, her own voice sounding alien to her.

The door to her quaint office opened to reveal a smiling Yixing, who was better known to the world as Lay. He stepped into the office, a cup of coffee in each hand and a package slung on his arm.

“Hello, Sunjung-ssi,” the dimpled man smiled, “I heard that you didn’t go out for lunch today and it is quite late, so I thought I’d drop by.”

Sunjung tried to give him a smile but she didn’t quite know how she felt about it. “Thank you, Yixing-ssi.”

“It’s nothing,” Yixing walked over and pulled out a chair to sit on, “may I sit here?”

Sunjung nodded. “May I ask you something, Yixing-ssi?”

“Yes,” the man absent-mindedly responded, as he was somewhat busy trying to open the package that contained food for his editor and himself.

“How did the blog happen?”

“Huh?” he looked up from the takeout container that contained ddeokbokki. He then nodded to himself. “I had just moved to Seoul and wasn’t really fluent in the language so I thought a blog would help. Also I studied psychology...I still am studying. I didn’t like seeing people being so illogical about relationships.”

“So it was out of goodwill?” Sunjung couldn’t hide her curiosity. She had been wondering about Yixing and ‘Lay’ the moment she had been introduced to him. Someone who had moved in from China and somehow made a successful blog about his observations of human nature. How did that happen? She now knew.

“It was out of pure selfishness actually but it turned into this.”

Sunjung nodded in understanding and eyes the delicious looking food Yixing had finally managed to unpack, exposing its glories to Sunjung’s eyes. watered and that was when she realised she was incredibly hungry. She glanced at her wristwatch and gasped when she realised it was a few minutes past six, past working hours.

“You didn’t know what the time was?” Yixing glanced up at Sunjung, pushing the coffee and food towards her.

“No...not really.”

Yixing let out a small chuckle, “Thank you for working so hard.”

“It’s my job,” Sunjung said after swallowing a mouthful of ddeokbokki, “Thank you for the food.”

Minutes passed in silence as writer and editor sat eating in the latter’s office. It was unwanted company to Sunjung but Yixing did not speak much and it was better if she had him around while working on his manuscript. She didn’t want to be like one of those notorious editors who changed the entire book and left the writer only with their name on the cover. This meeting, she decided, was purely professional.

So, when Gaeun dropped in to tell her not to overdo it an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter