Chapter 18

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Going drinking on a weekday wasn’t wise and Seo Sunjung found herself wondering how Gaeun had convinced her to actually do that. Gaeun, she suspected, was too good at getting what she wanted from people.  The night had been fun while it lasted. What wasn’t fun was waking up in a foreign room, on a couch, having to borrow her friend’s clothes and then having to rush to work. Sunjung didn’t particularly like the dizziness everytime she moved her head.

Sunjung drank her second bottle of water and sat back in her chair. She had just received a text from Yixing, telling her that he’d be arriving in a few minutes. Thankfully, Yixing wasn’t one to be usually on time so she had a few...hours to herself.

Groaning, Sunjung just moved the computer mouse in random directions and watched the cursor on the screen. She’d never have gone with Gaeun had she known Gaeun was the sadistic drunk, enjoying herself while others suffered in their alcoholic stupor. At least she hadn’t latched herself onto Gaeun and refused to let go. Quitting her restless assault on the mouse, she put her head down.

I’ll miss you, Lu Han.
Sunjung couldn’t believe herself when the words had left . But they hadn’t felt wrong...she had meant them. They were true. What made her heart actually flutter was the fact that he’d said those exact words back in the most natural way possible.

Sunjung felt her stomach tighten in a very pleasant way when she thought about it. She wrapped her arms around her torso while a very uncharacteristic squeal escaped her lips. Sitting up straight after the alien sound left , she started patting her cheeks. It was stupid...it was so very stupid, getting so giggly and worked up over how someone had spoken a few words. It was not like her, Sunjung knew. And she was very intent on something like that to not become a part of her (not anymore).

Sunjung did not want to think about it. So, she resorted to playing Angry Birds on her phone. She thought about how Gaeun had told her that the game wasn’t ‘in’ anymore. She chuckled quietly, wondering how a mobile game could be ‘in’ or ‘out’. She just felt an almost sadistic sense of satisfaction everytime the annoying pigs with equally annoying laughs blew up in smokes and disappeared into thin air. She was at work and she was slacking off. A hint of guilt invaded her mind but Sunjung dismissed it quickly. She could allow herself that liberty every once in a while.

A few hours later, when she had given up on destroying virtual pigs and after a short trip to her boss’s office, Sunjung was (not so) pleasantly surprised to see Yixing sitting in her quaint and cosy office when she entered it.
He stood up and bowed, “I let myself in. I hope you don’t mind.”

Sunjung gave him a small smile. “Not really.”
She walked over and sat behind her desk.

“Let’s go out for lunch,” Yixing said suddenly.

Sunjung looked at him in surprise. She had never really liked how Yixing was pushy and distant at the same time. He watched her sometimes and was completely unabashed when she caught him. He was a psychology student, she knew, but not all psychology students went about watching people in a way that it made them uncomfortable. Sunjung always felt like Yixing was trying to pry her deepest, darkest secrets out without actually asking her. There was a certain discomfort in the air whenever she was near the man.

“I don’t want to­—”

Yixing did not let Sunjung finish her sentence. “I insist, Sunjung-ssi.”

Sunjung just couldn’t say no.

***

“Someone looks like they didn’t have a good night’s sleep.”

The statement made Lu Han look up from a stack of papers. Kang Sunmi stood in front of his desk, noticeably as far she could from Byun Baekhyun who for some reason spent more time in Lu Han’s office than at his own desk.

Sunmi evidently hadn’t meant to make the statement suggestive (she had just observed the bags below Lu Han’s eyes) but Baekhyun had found it highly so. He glanced at Lu Han with a smirk and made a suggestive sound at the back of his throat.

Sunmi threw him a look of disgust and tried to slide further apart from the man seated on the chair but he quickly grabbed her wrist. “Does that make you uncomfortable, noona?”

If looks could kill, Baekhyun thought, the look Sunmi was giving him would have killed him and sent him to heaven. Her glare was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter