Chapter 29

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Clouds covered Seoul’s skies preventing the Sun, which was desperately trying to peek through them, from brightening the day. The clouds looked ready to drip.
Anyone who had expected a sunny Sunday was bound to be disappointed.
The onset of winter had brought on gloomy weather and lazy days.

Lu Han’s mood when he woke up was worse than the weather.
Sitting up in bed proved to be a difficult task and his head felt extremely heavy. He stupidly tried to shake the heaviness away, only resulting in a dizzy spell that made him fall back on the bed again.
Muttering a few choice curses under his breath, he tried to massage his temples. He closed his eyes but found himself smiling when the memories of the previous night finally came back.
That poor kid he had lashed out at, his evil colleague Baekhyun and…Sunjung.
Opening his eyes, he slowly tried to sit up again. His smile became bigger when he remembered her words. They were not a confession of her undying love for him, but at least now he knew she felt something.
Or had he dreamt that up?

The sudden thought caused him to panic, his eyes widening in horror.
Did he long for her to feel the same so much that his subconscious mind had decided to grant him his wish?
Something inside Lu Han’s chest tightened uneasily.
Ignoring the dull ache in his head, he looked around his room for anything that could prove that what happened last night was real.
When his eyes landed on the glass of water and pill that sat on his nightstand, he relaxed.
He did not miss the blue post-it note attached to the glass of water. A drop of water or two had smudged the writing on the paper but Lu Han could read it all right.
‘Next time, don’t drink so much that I have to tuck you in.’

A bright smile lighted up his face.
Lazily, he swallowed the pill with the help of the water Sunjung had left for him. He then slowly went about his morning business. He felt much better after a long, warm shower but the dull ache in his temples persisted.
Sunjung had left him a big breakfast, which he gobbled up hastily.
His mood took a sudden plunge when he realised Sunjung herself was nowhere to be found.
She must’ve gone out for a walk, he assured himself.
However, with her unpredictable reactions, Lu Han wondered if he could ever be right about what she was up to.

Not really in the mood to do the dishes, he loaded them into the dishwasher and headed out into living room.
He slid open the door to the balcony and stood at the threshold as the cold winter air rushed in. He took a deep breath, letting the crispy cold air clear up his foggy mind.

“Oh! You’re up.”

Lu Han turned around to see Sunjung’s smiling face.
At the sight of her smile, his heart clenched with desire. He smiled at her but his smile grew bashful when he remembered the previous night’s events. He knew his behaviour had been embarrassing, he wondered why she had even agreed to pick him up in the middle of the night.

“We were running out of grocery so I went shopping,” Sunjung said.
She held up the bags she was carrying in both hands. “I thought you’d be up much later.”

“My hangovers are not that severe,” Lu Han explained.
He rubbed the back of his neck, a boyish grin on his face.

Sunjung nodded rather vigorously before turning left and rushing to the kitchen. The pink that dusted her cheeks wasn’t just the cold weather’s doing.

Lu Han turned around to look out again.
There wasn’t much to see—just the buildings across the street and the grey sky, but the air was tranquil.
It was a short while before he heard her discard her coat and throw it on the couch before shuffling over to stand next to him.

“You never step out into the balcony,” she observed.
Her observation made him turn to face her in surprise—he had never thought she’d notice.
She looked up at him, a slight hint of a smile on her face. “Are you scared of heights?”

To Lu Han, it felt like he was only embarrassing himself before her. Hanging his head low, he nodded.

Sunjung turned to face him.
She could see that he was pouting. Whether it was intentional or not, she did not know.
Suppressing the giggle that was threatening to burst, she slowly reached up to cup his face with both her hands.

The pout slash frown was still on his face when his eyes met hers. But when she gave him a smile, a smile that said ‘that’s okay’, he couldn’t help but smile back.
He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her flush against him, prompting her to wrap her arms around his neck.

“It’s better when we’re together though,” he said, his lips against her neck. The touch sent tiny sparks of electricity through her body.

She nodded.
Everything was better when she was with Lu Han.

***

“I heard that you were here,” Gaeun said cheerfully, with a big smile on her face.
She approached the woman who was waiting for her in front of her desk. “Is it because you missed me?”

The woman threw G

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter