Chapter 23

Burn all the Scars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There had been something about the way Sunjung had walked into the office on Monday, Gaeun knew something was up. The same atmosphere had lasted for the past two days.
Im Gaeun eyed her friend as she entered said friend’s office. Seo Sunjung seemed happier than usual, there was a soft smiling air about her and for once she didn’t look stressed.
Gaeun found herself involuntarily raising a perfectly shaped eyebrow.
“Did something happen over the weekend?”

The subtle smile was still present when Sunjung replied with a shake of her head, “Nothing happened.”

Gaeun pulled out a chair and seated herself across from her friend.
“Doesn’t look like it.”

The corners of the other woman’s lips curved down in a frown.
She didn’t know what Gaeun was implying. Nothing had happened during the weekend. In fact, the best part of her weekend had been eating almost a tub full of ice-cream because she had been craving some. It had been somewhat difficult to convince Lu Han to allow her do so (he kept warning her that she would fall ill again), but subtle nagging and giving him the cold shoulder for a few minutes had done the trick.
Sunjung found her frown turning upside down when she remembered how taken aback Lu Han had looked when she had offered him a spoonful of the delicious dessert.

“You know it is kind of creepy when you smile that wide all of a sudden, right?”
Although the statement was designed to offend, there was a smile in Gaeun’s voice when she spoke.

“I don’t care,” Sunjung stated while shooting a glare at Gaeun.
She wasn’t sure why Gaeun was suddenly up for interrogating her; even the way they were seated looked like a clichéd interrogation scene from a crime show.
Sunjung didn’t like the knowing smile on her friend’s face and was completely unaware of the reason she was behaving in such a way.

Gaeun thought it best to just change the topic.
“Have you been in touch with Yixing?”

Stuck between relief–at the change of topic, and annoyance at the fact that the new topic wasn’t appealing, Sunjung scrunched up her nose.
“Somewhat,” she said, “His book isn’t in my hands anymore.”

 To Seo Sunjung, her relationship with Zhang Yixing was purely professional. When they spoke to each other, it was about his book. When they went out together, they did so to speak about his book. Everything that happened between them was because of and for Yixing’s book.
However, there was that one time when Yixing had broken the professional boundary and asked her a question he didn’t want to answer.
A question threatened to open the door to a dark room from her past that she had securely locked.
She wasn’t going to let him pick the lock.

Ever since the day he’d visited her at her apartment, Sunjung had kept her interactions with Yixing to a bare minimum.
He had always looked so distant, she had had no idea that he had somehow dug up so much.
It was a joy to Sunjung altogether that she had finished her w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter