Jin

Protecting the lightning boy

Jin

 

When Lay woke up that morning he immediately arose to go see how his brother was doing. He had been sleeping badly all night, and had been on his way to his brother several times, but he didn’t want to seem overprotective. That he was overprotective was a totally other thing. Just because he was, didn’t mean he wanted everyone to know. If they did anything to his brother he would kill them anyways.

 

When Lay was only a year old his father remarried with another woman whom he conceived a little child with, and that little child was Chen. Lay had been too little to remember how his birth had been, but the memories from their childhood were many. Lay was the kind one, the caring, and even though he was a bit strange sometimes with his 4D unicorn ways everyone still loved him. When he got his powers he thought everybody would hate him, but his father and stepmother whom he loved like a real mother asked him if he wanted to hide it, and tell everyone he had a healing power. Lay hadn’t been more grateful then in his entire life. He also didn’t want to tell Chen about his power, because he was so afraid that his fragile little brother would hate him if he found out. Chen had always been so small, and weak in a weird way, which had unlocked Lay’s overprotective side. And he couldn’t stand it if his brother would hate him. So his parents reluctantly agreed.

 

What they didn’t know was that they took Chen as a much dumber cild than we was, and one day when they were eating little Chen warily asked why they didn’t tell him the truth about Lay’s powers. That he already knew.

 

Lay had been to chocked to answer, and his parents had been too. They never suspected that outcome. And as Lay’s eyes started to tear, because now it was over, now his brother hated him, Chen got up and hugged his brother tightly, whispering in his ear that it was alright. That he wasn’t mad, or that he didn’t hate him. It wasn’t Lay’s fault he had gotten the power he got, and no matter what Chen would be there to protect his brother from people who thought badly of him. 

 

Lay smiled a bit, as he remembered the determination Chen’s face had back then. He had been just as stubborn when he was little as we was now. It had never mattered to Chen that he didn’t have any powers, he still protected his friends, and took care of his parents. Chen’s strength didn’t come from his powers. It came from his heart. They had very early noticed that Chen was much more sensitive to other’s pain than other children, and that he could easily tell if someone was upset or similar. And it was the same with Chen’s powers. They didn’t wake up until Chen felt angry enough, which was an emotion coming directly from his heart. Everything Chen did and said was controlled by his heart. In a way Kai reminded him of Chen. He was the exact same. 

 

”Babe” he suddenly heard a voice say, and he turned around. He wad been so caught up with memories he hadn’t noticed that Suho had woken up.

 

”Good morning darling” he answered and smiled. ”Slept well?”

 

”Yeah, sure. And you?”

 

Lay’s smile faded a bit. ”Not so good, i woke up all the time, feeling worried and anxious.”

 

”Is it because of Chen?”

”I think so. I was just going to cheek up on him.”

 

Suho smiled, and put his arms around his lover. ”It’s sweet, how much you care for him. You’re like his second umma.”

 

Lay smirked and bit down on Suho’s shoulder. ”I feel the need to protect him, that’s all. It’s been like that since we were small. He was always so little and fragile, and still he never let the fact that he was weaker then everyone else put him down. I am proud over him for that, but that is also the thing that makes me worry the most. He couldn’t protect himself the same way the rest of us did, and i couldn’t heal him like i healed myself and others. It was frustrating and worrisome. He is always worrisome.”

 

Suho let out a small laugh. ”I kind of understand what you mean. I have barely spoken to him, and somehow i feel the need to protect him. He looks so… how should i say it.. I don’t know. It’s just something.”

 

Lay nodded. ”Yeah, i know. I should really go check on him now, if i am going to make it before breakfast.”

 

”Yeah, go. It’s fine.”

 

Lay smiled, and hugged his boyfriend tighter to him. ”I don’t know what i would do without you really,”

 

”Probably get lost everywhere. You have a terrible sense of directions.”

 

Lay snorted. ”Very funny.”

 

Suho smiled, and walked of towards the kitchen. ”You know i love you.”

 

Lay laughed. ”Yeah, i know. I love you too.”

 

The only way Suho answered was to smack his but, and wink. Lay just face palmed, and walked away towards his brother’s and Xiumin’s room. Once he reached, he carefully knocked, but when he didn’t get any answer he slowly opened the door.

 

The sight his eyes met shocked him to say the least. There his brother was, soundly asleep, curled up in the arms of Xiumin. Of Xiumin. The same Xiumin who hated human contact, and who didn’t really show emotions were lying there beside Chen, huggin him tightly to his chest, breathing slowly and calmly. Lay almost smiled. It was a long time since he had seen Xiumin look so peaceful, and he really would be happy for him if he just wasn’t hugging his innocent baby brother. He angrily took a hold of Xiumin’s leg and pulled, making the latter fall down with a loud thump on the floor, almost dragging Chen down with him. Luckily Lay caught his brother in time and placed him once more on the bed, then proceeding to glare at the now very awake Xiumin.

 

”What” Xiumin asked. ”You are staring at me like I’m a piece of meet who should be grilled and stuffed in your tummy.”

 

”Well, that’s kind of what I want to do. Care to explain what you were doing in the same bed as my brother, huggin him to your chest? That is not okay to do only after one day, Xiumin. Boundaries! There is something called boundaries!”

 

Xiuimin looked incredulously at Lay. ”Okaaaaay. You have clearly misunderstood the whole situation. It wasn’t like i snuck up in bed together with Chen just because he looked squishy.”

 

”You think he looks squishy!?”

 

”That’s not what i said!”

 

”What are you guys doing?”

 

 The boys who were now having a staring contest turned to Chen at the exact same time. He was sitting up in bed, rubbing his eyes, looking at them questionably. ”You look like you want to kill each other.”

 

”Well what am I supposed to want to do when I walk in here seeing you in his arms. You haven’t known each other long enough for that yet! And why were you letting him do it?!”

 

Chen sighed, and buried his face in his hands. ”Lay ge, stop overreacting. It’s not the first time I have slept like this with someone else, I did it all the time with Sungjae, even after the first time we met. And Xiumin didn’t really have a choice. I didn’t want to wake you up and I wouldn’t go back to bed if someone wasn’t sleeping with me.”

 

Lay looked suspiciously at his brother. ”You sound like you had another nightmare.”

 

Chen nodded, embarrassed. ”I kind of lied to you back then. They never did stop, i just learned how to control them better. Unfortunately I was to tired to do those things last night and that resulted in me having a nightmare. Xiumin woke up because of me and managed to wake me up. Then he calmed me down and talked to me, and then when I didn’t want to sleep he lied down beside me, and told me to sleep. And surprisingly I did” Chen finished his long rant and looked at his brother, who had a confused expression on his face. 

 

”You managed to get him go back to sleep again and not have more nightmares. How did you do that?”

 

Xiumin smirked. ”I just am that good.” 

 

Lay groaned and Chen laughed. ”So now that we’ve cleared that up, could we go eat breakfast? I’m starving” he complained.

 

Lay nodded and Xiumin held of a smile.

 

”But first I want to check your ankle” Lay insisted. ”I don’t want you walking around on it before I know it’s completely okay.”

 

Chen whined. ”But I am huuungryy.”

 

Lay glared. Why was this cute brother of him so stubborn? He blamed his mother for that one. ”Chen either you let me check your ankle before breakfast or i will have to carry you to breakfast.”

 

Chen looked horrified. ”Okay fine fine you win! Just don’t carry me.”

 

Lay smiled, and thanked his father for the knowledge of how to control the stubborn part of the family. ”Good. Now, give me your leg.”

 

Chen reluctantly did what he was told, and Lay checked his ankle thoroughly for a few minutes, before smiling. ”It has actually been healing nicely. Perhaps you heal a bit easier now that you have gotten your powers. We can only hope, but wouldn’t that be great?”

 

Chen smiled, and nodded. ”Yeah that would be amazing. I hate having to rely on everybody else just because I am such a weakling myself.”


Lay frowned. ”Never say that you pabo. You have always been handling yourself, even though you have had everything at a disadvantage. You should be proud.”

 

”Thank you, ge.”

 

Lay smiled lovingly, and ruffled his brother’s hair. He had really missed the feeling of being so close to his little brother, the feeling of love and warmth. The feeling of being home. All though Lay loved Suho with all his heart, the love he had for his brother was different. They had always shared a special bond with each other, no words were needed for the two to understand the other. They only had to look, and then they would know. 

 

Lay still remembered how sad he had been when Chen and him became more and more distant when he had left. They both knew it was for protecting purposes, but it still hurt them. Lay remembered thinking that he and his brother would eventually become distant to each other, and would not longer share the same bond. But after one look at his brother when they met that morning the day before, and the feeling was back, and he knew that it never had been gone. No matter where in the world they would be, that bond would never disappear. It just was that strong.

 

What Lay didn’t know was that Chen was thinking about the same thing walking to breakfast, looking at his hyung’s backside, with Xiumin walking slightly behind him. He remembered how lonely he had been without Lay, hoe his heart had ached every time he saw a photo or something else that reminded him of his brother. So when he finally had seen his brother again it had been a big relief. That aching part of his heart had been miraculously fixed, and he felt more happy than in ages. 

 

And Xiumin was not as bad as he first had thought either. Quite the opposite actually. Xiumin was just like him an injured soul, with lots of pain in his heart. And because of this Chen felt himself closer to the boy he first had been afraid of. He was still afraid of him, but now it was fright in the same way he was afraid of Lay. It was not a fright where he actually thought looks could kill him. So he was happy very happy.

 

 

 

When the first class for the day was about to begin, Chen was nervous of everything knew. He would have his history lesson with people in the same age, and then he would shave every other lesson with those people as well, except for the magic lessons. Chen was pretty shy, but didn’t really have problems connecting to people, but he was afraid the rest would look down on him for not having any control over his powers in that age he was in. He was afraid he would be the outsider who sat alone and cried his heart out to old korean songs, and that he would become depressed and sad and probably die and become a ghost and then he would be even lonelier since nod boy was going to be able to see him. 

 

When he felt someone poke his shoulder he jumped about a meter up in the air, and then turned around to glare at the person who had grabbed him and was currently laughing hard with a death glare. 

 

The glare didn’t really work though, and the boy dried his tears. ”I am sorry” he giggled out. ”I just never thought it would be possible for someone to jump that high up into the air.”

 

Chen scoffed. ”Well, it was your damn fault for scaring me! I hate it when people do that, you could have killed me you know!”

 

Not it was the other person’s turn to scoff. ”Yeah right, die? Please, only old men and women die from shock, not young people like you. Who are you anyways? You new?”

 

Chen sighed, but smiled a bit and nodded. ”Yeah I am. The name’s Chen.”

 

”Hello Chen” the boy smiled. ”I’m Jin. I am sure we will become good friends.”

 

Chen smiled. Maybe this day wouldn’t be so bad after all.

 

As it turned out Jin was the oldest of a group called BTS and they were also one of the strongest groups of the school. ”Not as strong as EXO though but almost, ahha.” In the group there was also people like Rap Monster, Jimin, Jungkook, V, J-Hope and Suga. But the special thing about the group? They ll had the same powers.

 

”All of us are shape shifters, which means that we can shift to different kinds of animas at our will. We have been working our abilities up together, and we all have an animal we prefer to be. Take me as an example. I enjoy being a hyena. They run fast, have strong teeth and they always have that cute smile on their faces.”

 

Chen just smiled at that, but on the inside he cringed. Cute? Really. Cute? Hyenas? Are we thinking of the same animal?, he asked himself, 

 

”And the other’s shape shift into other things, i am sure you will notice to what eventually.”

 

Chen nodded and smiled. ”Yeah, perhaps i will.”

 

”But which is your power?” Jin asked with a smile. ”It must have come around pretty late, since you are the new kid now.”

 

”Gee, thanks, i really needed to hear that” Chen scoffed, and Jin smiled apologetically. ”Well my power is a bit different from other’s, but i am not sure i want to tell you. You are mean” Chen fake pouted. 

 

”Aww come on” Jin pouted cutely. ”I am going to find out eventually anyways.”

 

Chen sighed. ”Lightning. My power is lightning.”

 

Jin stared. ”Are you kidding me?” 

 

When Chen shook his head Jin’s eyes got really big. ”That is so cool!!! Could you show me?”

 

Chen blushed. ”I would, but i have zero control over it. Either it will come out and probably kill half of the school, or it won’t come out at all.”

 

”Well, i guess you will just have to show me another time the, when you have some control. I have never heard of someone with your powers before, it’s a bit strange don’t you think?”

 

 ”Yeah, a bit, but i have no idea why i got a power like that. I was actually starting to think that i never would get a power.”

 

Jin tilted his head when he saw how sad Chen suddenly looked. ”Was a power really that important to you?”

 

Chen sighed. ”No, not really, our talk just reminded me of some things i don’t want to remember. Painful things.”

 

”I am sorry Chen, i never meant to remind you of that” Jin said, feeling guilty. ”But you are not the only one with painful pasts on this school. We all have our secrets. You are not alone in this.”

 

”Including you?”

 

”Yeah, including me.”

 

The two boys looked at each other for a while, then Chen opened his mouth. ”Your story for mine?”

 

Jin smiled. ”Sure. You start.”

 

When Chen had finished his story about Sungjae, though he left out parts like he met him again in the forest of the cursed and such, Jin had tears in his eyes. ”I am really sorry Chen. I had no idea.”

 

”It’s fine” Chen said with a smile. ”You didn’t know when you asked.”

 

”Well” Jin said ”I feel honored that you told me.”

 

Chen smiled evilly. ”My story for your. Now spill.”

 

Jin looked pained. ”Yeah i guess i owe you that.” 

 

He took a deep breath, and then he begun.

 

”I was one of those typically happy children, but i was also a spoiled brat. I was an only child, and my parents gave me anything i wanted. I was probably not the nicest person, a bit of a bully actually. 

 

The day got my powers there was some corrupt people who came to out village, and they stole everything we had. My parents tried to stop them, but they were not very strong users and the thieves killed them. I was watching from afar, and when i saw my parents get killed, i snapped, kind of like you did. That’s when i changed into i hyena, and i killed the people who killed my parents. I have never felt stronger in my entire life, and i am terrified of feeling like that again. I had no control at all over what i did, and even if i wanted to stop, i couldn’t. I couldn’t stop until i had ripped the thieves to pieces. And when i say pieces i mean it. It was not pretty, and i smelled like blood for days. Shortly after i was transferred here, and i ended up with BTS. They were my saviors, in a way. Without them i probably never would’ve gotten over my parents deaths, and i never would have learned how to be humble and kind rather than mean and selfish. I owe them my life, and more. They are my family, in all ways possible.”

 

Chen smiled through teary eyes. ”Hearing your story i feel mine is a bit lame. Though i know how you must have felt, and i suffer with you. But i am so glad you have found people like that, people who could help you.”

 

Jin smiled. ”I am happy about that too. And i think that EXO will be that for you too, one day. When you spend so much time with the same people you really don’t have any other choice.”

 

Chen thought of his new dormmates, and smiled once more. He thought about his brother and Xiumin, about Suho and Baekhyun and everyone else. They were already like a family to each other, and he hoped one day he would be like that with them too. ”Yeah, you’re right.” 

 

 

 

As the day passed, Jin and Chen got closer. They shared most ordinary classes, and at lunch he also got the chance to meet the rest of BTS. They were all very nice and funny, crazy people, but in a good way. Chen couldn’t remember a time when he had laughed that much. 

 

As the day came to an end though, Chen got more and more nervous. 

 

”I am sure it will be fine Chen” Jin said grinned at him. ”Training you powers is fun!”

 

”For you maybe” Chen muttered. ”What if i can’t get my powers to work? What if i do get them to work but can’t stop them? What if”

 

”Stop that” Jin cut him of. ”You’ll just have to wait and see, won’t you? But i am sure it will be fine, you can’t always be the best. So what if you fail a bit in the beginning? And besides, i am sure the other’s can protect themselves. They are the most powerful people in school after all.”

 

Chen sighed and nodded. ”I guess i should go then. I don’t wanna be late.”

 

Jin smiled. ”See you tomorrow! Try not to get too tired.” 

 

Chen just showed him the bad finger and walked aways, hearing Jin snickering behind him. Time for his first power training ever.

 

ing fantastic.

 

Author’s note:

 

Hello!!! Sorry i haven’t updated in a while, but this chapter is longer than normal so i am hoping that will make up for my late update. 

 

Oh and for you who want some power action, it starts in the next chapter, i swear! 

 

I love comments, if you have some:) <3