Baekhyun and Chanyeol

Protecting the lightning boy

Baekhyun and Chanyeol

 

Once Baekhyun and Chanyeol reached their bedroom Baekhyun was feeling the tiredness fill his whole body. His muscles were aching badly, his eyelids heavy and breath slow. He felt like he was halfway in dreamland already, and he wanted nothing more than to sink down in bed and just fall asleep as fast as you can count to sheep. (”How does that even work Baekhyun? Chanyeol would ask. ”How can you count to sheep?” ”Quiet Yoda. You have no say in this.”) But he was sweaty and dirty, and no matter how much he did want to shower, he knew it would have to wait. He had to shower first.

 

He was slowly let down by Chanyeol and he drowsily walked over to his closet pulling out underwear and one of Chanyeol’s shirts to sleep in instead of proper nightclothes. He preferred the shirts, anyways. They smelled like Channie, and he’d never get tired of that smell. Musky, mysterious and flowery at the same time. It also felt like a sense of security, and helped Baekhyun sleep. Before he met Chanyeol he always had trouble sleeping at night, or more like sleeping at all. He had a pretty bad case of insomnia, but the security Chanyeol had brought once Baekhyun trusted him enough had helped the boy to fall asleep. Back then, he had loaned one of Channie’s shirts to sleep in because his own clothes were soaked, and since then he just liked sleeping in the shirts more than in nightclothes. The nightclothes were uncomfortable and smaller, while the shirts were fluffy and big. Something Baekhyun enjoyed a lot.

 

Chanyeol, all to used to Baekhyun stealing his shirts to sleep in, just smiled and took a pair of cotton shorts and underwear to sleep in. He had always preferred to sleep shirtless anyways. The two of them made it into the shower together, standing under the warm water letting it wash away all the dirt, worries and fears of the day. The stood close, but without touching, looking into others eyes when they could. They didn't say anything, but the moment spent in the shower was a lot more private than walking in one someone who had or something similar. This meant more, it was stronger. There was a quiet beauty to it.

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun hadn’t always been that peaceful, though. In the beginning, when they first got to know each other, they had fought all the time over the smallest of things. Baekhyun had always been a small child, while Chanyeol was tall and lanky, limbs flailing everywhere with no control. They had been an unlikely pair, with more differences than similarities, but perhaps that was what brought them together. Where Baekhyun was strong, Chanyeol was week, and where Chanyeol was strong Baekhyun was week. They contemplated each other without effort, without thinking about it. In between the fights and the hurtful words were two beautiful, caring hearts which cared a lot more than they let on. Even though they had always ”hated” each other, they had always made sure someone else would never do anything bad to the other. ”No one can hurt him except me!” was something they both had said often when stopping other’s from hurting his bully but friend. In the beginning they were enemies, yes, but as time went passed they found themselves being more like frienemies, and then they just found themselves being friends, with none of them truly knowing when and why they had become friends after all. No matter how much they tried to, they never remembered. 

 

The quite funny reality to their story was that they had gone from enemies from friends without thinking about it. It didn't really have specific reason. Perhaps they started liking each other more when Chanyeol saved Baekhyun from drowning in pre-school, or perhaps was it when Baekhyun found Chanyeol’s lost cat and brought it back home with it. Perhaps they liked each other the first time they met, but still decided unconsciously that they would hate the other. There is no simple answer to their love story, there is no simple answer to any love story really, but the most unlikely pair’s love story is almost impossible to tell, just because that they didn't really have a love story. One day, just as they had become friends, they found themselves kissing like it was the most natural thing in the world, none of them actually reacting to that they kissed someone with the same gender. That they actually were kissing each other. It was as natural as breathing, effortless and sweet.

 

Although, after they became a couple the road wasn’t always smooth. There had been many arguments down the road, but they had always managed to fix them. The toughest, and most difficult argument they had had was the only time they had almost broken up, and it was because of such a stupid thing.

 

Four years ago

 

Baekhyun threw the door open to his boyfriend’s apartment, and sighed looking at the mess. Chanyeol had always been a messy person, but this was over the top. He had been living alone for a longer amount of time now, since his parents were away on a mission, and he had obviously abused their trust by messing up the whole apartment. Baekhyun felt a disappointed at his boyfriends because of this. Couldn’t he just keep things clean and nice? 

 

”Chanyeol” he et out with a loud voice, and after a few seconds the always-deeper-voice-than-him answered.

 

”I’m in the kitchen Baekkie” Chanyeol let out as he put on a happy smile, and soon enough his boyfriend stood in the doorway with a big scowl on his face. 

 

”Chanyeol” he let out, the irritation filling his voice ”it’s incredibly dirty in here. You know that your parents don’t like it when things look like a mess. You should clean up before they get home.”

 

Chanyeol flinched as Baekhyun talked, but Baekhyun didn't understand way and chose to ignore it. ”I’m sorry Baek” Chanyeol said lowering his head. ”There has just been a lot on my mind.”

 

”That’s no excuse for ruining a perfectly good apartment Chanyeol” Baekhyun exclaimed. ”You are going to clean this up right this moment!”

 

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun. ”But I..”

 

”Now, Chanyeol.”

 

Without saying another word, Chanyeol complied and started picking things up, putting them back in their ordinary places. He dusted of furniture and vacuumed while Baekhyun walked around putting things even more into place. He also raised a picture of Chanyeol’s mother and father which had fell down and frowned. The frame was broken. 

 

”Chanyeol” he let out, and said boy stopped vacuuming and turned to his boyfriend. ”The frame of your parents wedding photo is broken. How can you have been this un careful, destroying such a beautiful memory?” 

 

Chanyeol looked pained and opened his mouth, but for the longest time nothing came out. Then he closed his mouth and went back to cleaning. 

 

”It was an accident” he mumbled out. 

 

Baekhyun sighed, slowly getting angry. ”You should be more careful with these kinds of things. They are important.”

Chanyeol didn’t say anything, he just vacuumed even harder than before. Baekhyun didn’t even notice when his eyes started to water, he just continued his ranting.

 

”I don’t know what has gotten into you Chanyeol” he began. ”You used to be so careful with things at home, taking care of the apartment when you were alone, but now you’re just letting things get more and more dusty. You have to take better care of things Channie. Your parents want it to be perfect when they get home. I really don’t know what’s the matter with you, you have changed since they left.”

 

Chanyeol stopped cleaning again. ”Shut up” he exclaimed loudly and Baekhyun froze. ”You don’t know anything, so stop pretending like you do!”

 

Now Baekhyun got angry for real. ”What the Chanyeol! How is it my fault that you never tell me anything anymore. It’s not me who have changed so stop ing blaming this on me!”

”No of course not, because every time we fight it’s only even my fault! I forgot that Byun Baekhyun is prefect and has not flaws, I’m so sorry your highness for accusing you of perhaps having some fault in everything as well!”

 

Baekhyun clenched his fists. ”That’s is Park Chanyeol. If you are going to be like this, perhaps we shouldn’t be together anymore? If I’m such an nuisance?”

 

Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, eyes hard. ”No perhaps not.”

 

They stared at each other for a while, and then Baekhyun turned around and left. He shut the apartment door with a bang and started walking down the stairs before he remembered that he had forgotten his phone as Chanyeol’s. He swore loudly and start walking back, opening the apartment door silently in hopes of being able to sneak in and take it without Chanyeol noticing. But as he snuck inside, what he heard shocked him.

 

Chanyeol was crying, loudly and painfully, howling out as he played shaking on the ground. Baekhyun knew this wasn’t because of their fight, since he had half expected them to get back together the next day, and he thought Chanyeol had thought that too. So he wasted no time as he ran up to Chanyeol and pulled him into his arms.

 

At first Chanyeol tried to fight him, but as Baekhyun just held him harder he gave up and sunk into Baekhyun’s body, the sobs shaking his entire being. They sat like that, for a ling time before Baekhyun spoke up.

 

”Channie” he whispered. ”Channie, what happened to make you become like this? Channie please. I want to help you.”

 

Chanyeol kept sobbing, but after a little while words started coming out in between. ”They.. They are dead Baekkie. They dies on the mission. There is no one to clean for anymore. They are gone, Baekkie.”

 

Baekhyun felt dread fill his entire being, and he held back his tears as he held Chanyeol tighter. Mrs and Mr Park had been like extra parents to Baekhyun, and hearing that they were no longer alive hurt like someone just stabbed him in the heart. He couldn’t believe that they were gone, and he felt the guilt fill his his body as he thought about how much he must have hurt Chanyeol talking about them the moment he walked into the apartment. He should have asked Chanyeol what was wrong instead of just yelling at him.

 

Chanyeol started crying harder, and he felt Baekhyun tighten his grip around hid body as if he was trying to stop Chanyeol from falling apart. It was the first sense of warmth Chanyeol had gotten wince he first found out his parents had been killed on the mission. He had refused letting anyone touch him, but he knew Baekhyun wouldn’t have any of that, and he was extremely grateful for it. he had refrained telling Baekhyun the truth since he didn't want the other to see him sad, but now when he had said it, it actually felt bearable. He no longer had to carry it all one, since his brother was at a school for magic users already, and couldn’t come home. But it hurt, it hurt so much and Chanyeol felt like his heart would rip out of his chest in any moment, but it didn’t. It didn't and he had to keep breathing, he had to keep living. For the first time since they died, he wanted to keep living. Because Baekhyun was alive, and Chanyeol loved Baekhyun. It was the first time he had admitted it to himself, but he did. Baekhyun was always there for him, and even though they had just fought and even half broken up, Baekhyun was still there cradling Chanyeol in his arms.

 

 

It took time, and a lot of love from Baekhyun for Chanyeol to finally creep out f his hard kind and start getting back to who he really was. Baekhyun had moved into Chanyeol’s apartment immediately after finding out, since Chanyeol wouldn’t leave and Baekhyun wouldn’t leave Chanyeol alone. Every day Baekhyun had made sure Chanyeol ate, and he helped keeping the apartment clean since his Chanyeol’s parents wouldn’t have wanted seeing it so dirty. And slowly, slowly, Chanyeol started trusting him more, started smiling more, and after moths of hard work from Baekhyun Chanyeol once again laughed, that loud laugh he used to have which was the happiest, most beautiful laugh Baekhyun had ever heard. 

 

He also started getting Chanyeol to talk more and more about his parents, since Baekhyun didn't want Chanyeol to try to forget them. He just wanted him to learn living with the memories. The more they poke, the better Chanyeol got. The more of the real Chanyeol returned. And the love the two had for each other grew more and more for everyday that passed. The words I love you wasn’t something they both took easily, but one night after watching a movie, they found themselves saying hose exact words while cuddling in bed.

 

”Baekhyun” Chanyeol had mumbled, and Baekhyun hummed as showing he had heard. ”I love you.”

 

Baekhyun stilled in Chanyeol’s arms, but after a few moments, he gripped the giant harder and whispered. ”I love you too. I have for a very long time. I love you so much it hurts.”

 

Back to present

 

Baekhyun smiled at the memory, a painful but happy smile. Baekhyun had mourned the loss of Chanyeol’s parents a lot, but he had managed quite well since he looked after Chanyeol the whole time. He still missed the like crazy, and he knew Chanyeol did too, but they had learned to live with it. They had learned to cherish the memories, but not get lost in them. They were alive, and they would live their lives fully. If there was one thing Chanyeol’s parents had taught them, it was that. That you should never be afraid of living, because one day it would end and then you’d want to do the best out of the life you had been given. So the both lived, and they smiled and laughed and loved. 

 

Once the pair got out of the shower, Baekhyun let Chanyeol dry him up and then he put the shirt and underwear as Chanyeol also got dressed, and then they slipped into bed, Baekhyun letting Chanyeol be the big spoon. As Chanyeol put his arms around his lover, Baekhyun interlaced their fingers, and let out a soft smile. 

 

”What a day” he let out quietly. 

 

”Mm” Chanyeol agreed sleepily. ”But I’m glad everyone is okay.”

 

Baekhyun nodded. ”Yeah. I was a lot more worried about that than what I let on. It’s worrisome that Chen is sick now, though.”

 

”Yeah, but he’ll be fine, I know it. And he has Xiumin and Lay to take care of him.”

 

As he let that out, Xiumin opened the door and walked inside with a bowl of soup in his hands.

 

”Chanyeol” he said seriously. ”I need you to heat this up for me.”

 

”I’m not a microwave hyung!” Chanyeol whined.

 

”Oh just do it Channie” Baekhyun said, with a smirk. ”You are a perfect microwave.”

 

Chanyeol muttered about stupid people not seeing him as stronger than a microwave, but he found himself doing what Xiumin wanted anyways. 

 

”Thanks Chanyeol” he sad as he slipped out the door, and Chanyeol waved his hand dismissively.

 

”Sure sure.”

 

Baekhyun smiled again, as he felt sleep fill his body. Using moonlight power really took its toll on him. ”Goodnight Channie” he whispered as he closed his eyes. ”I love you.”

 

Chanyeol tightened his hold on Baekhyun for a short while, and pressed a kiss to his temple. ”I love you too. Always.”

 

”Forever?”

 

”Always.” 

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol was an unlikely pair, but at the same time, there was no better partner for them than each other. Their similarities gave them things to talk about, but their differences was what brought them together. Their road wasn’t smooth, and it never would be, but they both liked it like that. What fin was there in everything just being okay all the time? What heat was there in that? No, Baekhyun and Chanyeol liked it best when they could argue, and then make up and end every day with an I love you. Because not matter what happened, no matter how much they fought, they would always love the other. There was no question about that. 

 

Life could bring on anything it wanted, and they would take it with a ing fantastic and fight on.

 

Author’s note

 

Heeeeelloooo!!!! I am so sorry for this crappy little chapter, but I wanted to have a little Baekyeol moment before continuing the story! I can tell you though, that we’ll see some more action soon!!!! I hope this wasn’t too bad. Thanks for reading!