88. Rejection

The Blood Brother Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Happy birthday to Inshawol, lambotran and uniquesnowflakes!

And to Luhan, but I hope he's not reading this.

Warning: angst

 

The nurse who came around to wake all ward patients at eight in the morning was less than impressed to find Semi cocooned in Minseok’s arms.

“She’s family,” Minseok insisted hotly.

“Family are not supposed to stay overnight.”

Semi grumbled sleepily, holding out her wrist with her hospital tag towards the nurse.  “I was admitted too.”

The nurse barely even looked at it.  “The women’s ward is on the opposite site of the hospital.”

“I have PTSD and I’m not going to hug a nurse when I get nightmares.”  Semi burrowed her head back into Minseok’s chest.  “Besides, the hospital is open now.  That means I can stay, because I’m family.”

Muttering to herself, the nurse gave in and handed them both breakfast slips to fill out with what they wanted to eat.  Minseok quickly filled his out and then asked Semi what she wanted before placing them both on the table.  Semi yawned and squeezed her arms tightly around him.

“You’re being very affectionate today,” Minseok noted with surprise.  Semi just nodded.

“You saved Tao and Junhong and Jongin,” she mumbled.  She felt his hand her hair.  “And me,” she added as an afterthought, followed by, “thanks.”

“Anytime.”  He nearly choked when Semi squeezed her arms around him as hard as she could.  “Okay, okay, as much as I like this, breathing is important too.”

With reluctance, Semi loosened her grip.  She felt Minseok playing with her hair.  Now that she thought about it, it was something he did an awful lot.

“You know,” he admitted in a small voice, “I was really scared yesterday.  If I’d been about half a minute later, God only knows where you’d be right now.”

Semi nodded absently.  Dwelling on the what ifs wasn’t really something she wanted to do right now.  “Have you spoken to Luhan yet?”

Minseok made a noise of agreement in the back of his throat.

“Can you tell the police what they need to know?”

“I can confirm what they already suspect and no more.  I’m not going to give anybody a reason to kill you.”

“Can you tell me?”

“No, because you’ll tell them and I know you will and that’s still breaking the Code.”

Semi pouted in disappointment.

“Junhong’s not bound by the Code, though, so they can get all the information from him if he’s willing to talk.”

There was no further talk until breakfast came round, along with several doctors checking on patients.  Semi and Minseok were pronounced fit enough to be discharged, though Semi insisted on hanging around to find out what had happened to Tao.

“He’s in intensive care,” the nurse on duty supplied after ringing up somebody to check.  “Surgery was successful and if there are no complications today there’s a high chance he’ll pull through and eventually make a full recovery.”

“Can we see him?” Semi asked.

“Family only until the afternoon, I’m afraid.”

“His family live in China, though.”

The nurse pursed his lips.  “Go on, then,” he decided.  “Just be aware he might not be awake.”

He wasn’t, so the visit was only a short one.  Minseok scanned the medical records that somebody had left attached to the end of the bed, grimaced, and then hastily put the clipboard back.  There weren’t any visible bandages, as far as Semi could make out, but Tao looked horribly pale.  After sending up a silent prayer for him to wake up quickly and regain strength, Semi kissed him on the forehead and looked around.

“Is there something we can leave him for when he wakes up?  Flowers or anything?”

“We can get him a card.  They won’t allow flowers on the ward.”

A quick visit to the hospital shop found them a suitable card and Semi left him a message with well-wishes, followed by a request for him to contact her as soon as he woke up.

“By the way,” she said as they were heading home on public transport, the police having taken the car back from the university to the apartment for them, “I told Tao who you were.  More explicitly than Wendy, too.”

Minseok’s face betrayed nothing.  “Right.”

“He took it pretty well, though that might only have been because everything was chaos and he didn’t know how to respond.”

“We’ll deal with it when he wakes up.  He seems more reasonable than Wendy, though.”

“Oh, Tao’s an absolute sweetheart.”  Semi laughed at the scowl that crossed Minseok’s face when she said that.  “Are you jealous?”

“Yes.”  He sounded a little miffed.

“It’s okay, honeybun.  I don’t like Tao the way you like me.”

“Honeybun?” Minseok echoed, affronted.  “What’s got into you today?”

Semi giggled and linked her arm through his.  “I’m just happy.”  She flashed him a cheeky grin.  “Suho’s been knocked out of the equation.  Jongin’s not dead.  Tao’s probably going

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter