48. Confusion

The Blood Brother Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing Semi became aware of was a steady beeping that sounded obnoxiously familiar.  As she groggily came to her senses, she also became aware of something on her finger and tubes in her nose.  There was a hand resting on hers, thumb rubbing smoothly and soothingly over her skin, and the place smelt… disinfected.

Everything about it screamed hospital, which didn’t really make sense because why would Byun Baekhyun take her to a hospital?

A female voice asked something that didn’t quite process from somewhere and a quiet male voice replied, the thumb stopping its movements.  The female responded to this again and then it was quiet.  The thumb resumed the back of her hand.

With a huge effort, Semi opened her eyes.  The lids felt heavy and the lights harsh, and as she lay there with her eyes watering, she saw that she was correct in her assumption that she was in hospital.  Drawn pink curtains closed her off from the bay next door.  Someone – she couldn’t quite make out who because of the tears in her eyes – was snoozing in a chair near to a small gap in the curtains.

The thumb left her hand and Semi felt somebody brushing her hair back from her face.  She turned in the direction of the person.

“How are you feeling?” Minseok asked.

Semi blinked at him, baffled.  A couple of tears dislodged, leaving her with a clear view of her husband.  The last thing she remembered was Baekhyun.  Waking up in hospital with Minseok there – and clearly concerned – did not make sense.

“Wh…what happened?” she croaked out.

“I wanted to ask you that.”  He withdrew his hand.  “You sent out a distress signal at around twelve thirty today.  Kyungsoo said you had something in your mouth…?”  He raised an eyebrow as if waiting for confirmation, and Semi caught herself absently running her tongue over the tooth the crown had been on to check if it was still there.  “Lay brought the exchange time forward.  It was that or storm the building.”

That reminded Semi of the whole reason for the exchange, and she jolted upright, almost dislodging the drip from her right arm.  Minseok shot to his feet in alarm as Semi looked around, panicked.

“Sehun,” she fretted.  “What happened to Sehun?”

Minseok carefully got her to lie back down.  “He’s just in the next bay.”

“Is he okay?”

Minseok paused before he replied.  “He will be.”

Whimpering, Semi slumped back against the sheets.

“The doctors said none of the damage was permanent,” he went on.  “His bruises are bad and he has a few cracked ribs and there was internal bleeding, but he’ll be discharged by the end of the week as long as he doesn’t take a turn for the worse.  For now the doctors just want the pair of you to rest.”

Semi nodded, placated.

“They said your arm would probably scar at least semi-permanently, though.”

Confused, Semi looked at both her arms.  The only thing she could see wrong with the right one was the cannula.  Minseok had taken her left hand again, and a bandage was peeking out of the sleeve of her hospital gown.  She pulled her hand out of his grip and shook the sleeve back, frowning at the bandage.

“I… I don’t remember….”  Try as she might, nothing came to mind for anything that might be an arm injury she’d sustained.  Blotches of blood stained the cream material, and she wondered if she was supposed to be this blissfully unaware of pain, because past experience had taught her that being able to see blood through that thickness of bandage meant the cut wasn’t all that shallow.

“The doctor said you had eight million won carved into the inside of your forearm.”  Minseok grimaced.

“C— what?”

“If you don’t remember it, then you must have already been unconscious before it happened.  But eight million won… it’s weird….”

Semi couldn’t look away from her arm, absolutely sickened.  At first, she pulled a blank, but then she twigged as to why the number seemed familiar.

“It was Byun Baekhyun.”  She forced herself to look back at Minseok, her breaths growing short and shallow.  “It was him – he said something about eight million won a day before he knocked me out – he must’ve—”

The machines started to beep wildly as her heart rate spiked, and half a second later, she was in Minseok’s embrace.

“Shh, shh,” he murmured.  “He’s not here.  It’s going to be fine.”

Semi broke down in tears.  “I was so scared!” she sobbed.  “I thought he was going to kill me!”

“That’s natural.”  He patted her back.  “Byun Baekhyun is a pretty terrifying person.”

He held her until she calmed down again, rocking her gently backwards and forwards and occasionally her hair.  When he sensed the hysteria had left, he backed off with one last comforting rub between her shoulder blades.

At least, it was comforting until it came into contact with a delicate patch of skin and Semi let out a loud yelp that woke the person sleeping in the chair.  Minseok’s hand stilled on her back.

“Have you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter