60. Joining Forces

The Blood Brother Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was well past midday when Semi woke up, and she still felt absolutely drained from her experience the previous day.

“You’re finally awake,” said Minseok’s voice, causing her to roll over and squint in his direction.  He was sitting on the duvet next to her wearing red chinos and a navy blue t-shirt, a thin cotton hoodie draped over his shoulders.  A laptop was balanced on his legs.  “Chen’s dropping by in about an hour or so to talk to you about yesterday, and then he’s going to take you on to hospital because you missed your appointment yesterday afternoon and after that he’s going to drop you at Sehun’s for the rest of the weekend.”

Semi yawned and snuggled down under the warm covers.

“You might want to see if you can get hold of your therapist, too,” he added.  “You were extremely restless last night.  I think I have bruises.”

“Mmm.”  Semi wasn’t sure if she was agreeing or apologising.  Minseok shifted the laptop off his thighs.

“Hungry?” he asked.  “Or shall I just leave you to get up and get changed?”

“Still sleepy,” Semi protested, turning her back to him and curling up in a ball.  He snorted.

“You’re behaving like Taeyong, Semi.  Get out of bed.”

“Yesterday was traumatic.”

A moment later, a hand was her hair.  “I know, sweetheart, I know.”  Minseok’s voice had softened considerably.  “That’s why you need to carry on with life.”

 

Chen was extremely patient when he came over to take a statement from Semi, willing to let her take breathers and never pushing her.  Minseok flitted in and out as they talked in the living room, and finally, at around quarter to three, he cut short their conversation.

“The hospital appointment is in under half an hour – you should go.”

With a start, Chen glanced at his watch.  “You’re right.  Come on, Semi.  Have you packed to stay with your brother?”

“I’ve done that.”  Minseok held up a bag, which Chen took from him.  “Have fun.”

“Wait.”  Semi paused as she was about to leave the room.  “Are you not coming with us?”

“Nope.”  Minseok gave her a sunny smile.  “I have to go meet Lay in an hour to get a dressing down for blowing up an entire street.  I’m also not allowed to know where your brother lives, which is probably fair enough.  Not like he’d want to see me, in any case.”

“True,” Semi conceded, though she felt a little hollow.  “Well… I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Still smiling, Minseok nodded.  Then he seemed to hesitate over something before making the necessary three steps to hug her.

“Hey, hey, hey,” Chen interrupted, pulling them apart.  “No PDA.”

Minseok gave him a bland look.  “It’s a hug.  In my home.  And we’re married.”

Semi chuckled.

“You know exactly what I mean,” Chen snapped at Minseok.  “If you really care about Semi’s mental wellbeing that much, don’t go screwing her over.”

Minseok’s retaliation was to point to a book lying on a small table bearing a lamp.  “Hugs are clinically proven to benefit mental wellbeing.  They release oxytocin, which is good for the heart, and helps to dispel emotions such as fear, ease tension, and they’re also good for insomnia, which is one of the reasons I stay with Semi whenever she has nightmares.  Also, I think Semi and I have reached the stage where we’re close enough not to be bothered by casual friendly gestures like hugs.”

Chen slapped a hand over his face.  “It’s also linked to how much you trust other people.”

“I know,” said Minseok, grinning cheekily.  “I trust Semi.  You’re going to be late to your appointment.”

“er,” Semi heard Chen grumbling as they started towards the door.  Semi almost told him not to be so harsh, but she didn’t think he’d react well to that.

 

The stitches in Semi’s left arm were ready to come out, but the doctor cautioned her about overexerting herself, and then put bandages around her wrists.

“They won’t scar, in all likelihood,” she said, “but I’m afraid that’s more than I can say for your arm.  I hope the person who did it is going to be facing a sizeable jail sentence.”

Semi nodded.  It was almost a shame Xiumin had arranged to have Byun Baekhyun killed.  Proper punishment would have been much more vindicating.

Oddly, Lay had requested Xiumin to meet him in a coffee shop.  The police officer was already there, plain-clothed and looking absolutely shattered, when Xiumin arrived.

“Can’t believe I’m working on my day off,” he mumbled into his coffee as Xiumin took the seat opposite him.  Xiumin just sat there patiently, waiting for him to begin.

“Okay,” said Lay once he’d finished off his coffee, now looking a little more awake.  “We need to have a really long chat.”

“I suspected.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter