52. Dinner

The Blood Brother Code
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Happy New Year, everybody, and happy belated birthday to exoshidae30 and AnGEL_EunA, and happy birthday soosoosoojung!

There were some of you who said in the comments that it's your birthday around now, so happy birthday to you all, too.

 

“It’s not actually a recognised psychological condition,” Chanyeol explained.  “It’s just what it’s called on the internet.  To be honest, you can apply labels to pretty much any type of behaviour.  Calling it a syndrome gives it negative connotations.”

“But this is bad, right?” Chen said.  “I mean, from your reaction….”

“Yeah, it’s bad.”  Chanyeol heaved a weary sigh.  “The basic concept behind White Knight Syndrome is idealising somebody, putting them on a pedestal, trying to… well, fix them.”

“I think Semi’s smart enough to see through his act, though,” said Kyungsoo, gesturing to the screen.  “She’s told him to his face more than once that she’s more than aware of him working with Luhan.”

Chanyeol shook his head.  “That’s not the problem.  The problem isn’t that he’s playing the white knight – because he isn’t, really, however much it might look like it – the problem is that he’s getting Semi to play the white knight to him.”

Ryeowook glanced between the screens and Chanyeol.  “Isn’t that a bit of a… well, risky move?  It would take a lot to pull that off.”

The other two policemen made noises of agreement, but Chanyeol scrubbed a hand through his hair.  “The trouble is it’s working.  She thinks he can be brought over from the dark side, so to speak.”

“Well, surely we can just tell her that and—”

“It’s not nearly that simple,” Chen interrupted Ryeowook.  “She’s not going to want to believe it, for a start—”

“No, she’s not,” agreed Chanyeol.  “The truth of the matter is that there are occasions on which he’s been undeniably nice to her.  He’s saved her life at least once; he’s dropped everything on multiple occasions to help her out with panic attacks – he’s also been frighteningly honest about his own criminal record.  On top of that, his history is tragic and some of his greatest delights are things people would consider commonplace – music, food, company.  And then you’ve got Luhan.  If Xiumin really does change, he’s not going to hand her over to Luhan.  If he doesn’t, he’s still going to try his damndest to do so.  Logically, which one of those options is she going to want?”

“And on top of that, we operate by innocent until proven guilty.  Or we’re supposed to.  And if Xiumin finds out we’ve tried to malign him in any way, he’ll resort to protesting that,” Chen finished off.

Kyungsoo stabbed morosely at one of the keys on his keyboard.  “He’s much sneakier than I gave him credit for and I spend half my time watching him.”

“It’s not your fault for not noticing it,” Chanyeol told him.

“So what do we do?” asked Ryeowook.

Chanyeol paused for a moment, rubbing his chin.  “The only thing that’s likely to work is Semi to realise for herself that this is what he’s planning.  The most we can do is gently lead her to that conclusion.”

“But I’m not in an abusive relationship,” Semi said, almost laughing as she loaded up a tray with food to take to Sehun, who had – to her surprise – been discharged in time for dinner.  Rather than looking around the new condo, he’d used the excuse that he was drowsy and in pain to go straight to bed in his new room, though Chanyeol and Semi were both adamant that he should eat.  “I’m not even in a relationship.”

“Oh, I know Xiumin wouldn’t dare raise a finger against you,” Chanyeol agreed.  “But don’t forget he’s told you himself he prefers persuasion to violence to get people to do what he wants, and the police have said he’s manipulative, and many abusers are mentally and emotionally manipulative.  I just think we ought to check to make sure, so you know you aren’t falling into any of his traps.”

Semi decided to humour him.  “Give me a moment.”  Picking up the tray, she navigated her way past the cardboard boxes that lined the walls of various rooms and corridors all over the condo so that she could take the food to Sehun.  Once she was back, she dusted her hands off and sat down at the kitchen table, moving a rolling pin out of the way.  “Right.  Let’s do this.”

Chanyeol sat opposite her, holding a sheet of paper.  “Okay, you have to be totally honest about your answers.”

“Obviously.”

He cleared his throat and looked at the first question.  “Do you ever feel scared or intimidated in his presence?”

“No.  I was at first because he’s a criminal and I had no idea what he might do, but I think I’ve had his measure for a while now.  He’s not going to hurt me.”

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows and moved onto the next question.  “Do you ever find yourself tailoring your actions because you’re afraid of what his response might be?”

Semi shook her head again.  “Chanyeol, my apartment’s being watched by police 24/7.  He’s hardly going to fly off the handle.”

“Does he constantly check up on you and not believe you when you tell him where you’ve been?”

“He asks where I’m going when and if I’m out longer than expected without telling him, he asks me where I’ve been.  I think that’s actually pretty normal behaviour, especially considering I have people after me who want to kill me.”

“Yeah, that is pretty normal behaviour.  Perhaps even understated.”

“And sometimes he doesn’t believe me, but nine times out of ten I’ve also been lying to him, so I think that’s moot.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter