A house is not a Home

My Thai Prince

   “Yahh! What are you doing here? You can’t just randomly enter a girl’s room as you please.” He covered and laid next to her.

   “You’ll wake up your brother if you scream too loud! Just relax and sleep.” Even if she knew it wasn’t right, she went with it and accepted his presence. “Besides, you’ve known me for years. You are aware that I won’t hurt you.”

   “Didn’t we make a deal years ago: We’re not supposed to be best friends anymore. Remember?”

   “Exactly, you said ‘best friends’. You never said anything about being ‘just friends’.” She glared at him. For her, there wasn’t a difference.

   “Why are you here exactly?”

   “The couch is uncomfortable. I can’t sleep well on something so hard.”

   “You never complained about such things when we were teenagers. Wah!! They really spoiled you way too much in Thailand.” Yuri could see him grin in the dark. Her heart skipped a beat when seeing this charismatic sight. It was irresistible.

   “What are you looking at?” he asked. She gazed away.

   “Nothing. I wasn’t looking at you. What are you talking about?”

   “I never asked if you were looking at me.” Embarrassed, she repeated a circle of words without meaning in order to cover up her mess. Khun could feel her nervous tone and rapidly clutched her arms with a soft . He grinned. “Don’t worry about it Yuri-ah. I’ll forget you ever said that.”

   Yuri bit her lips to stop herself from saying anything stupid. He let go of her and retreated. There was a uneasy pause before they began to converse.

   “So, Yuri-ah, how are you? I haven’t gotten the chance to ask all day.”

   “Fine I guess.”

   “Fine? That’s it? Come on, after four years, ‘fine’ can’t be the only word to describe how you’ve been.”

    “Okay then… Here it goes…” She faced him and proceeded. “I’ve been studying in an engineering program, I’ve enjoyed it a lot so far. Most days, I just study, sometimes I help Taec oppa around the house when he’s working. Life’s been normal, not really any different than it used to.” He cackled after her story. “Why are you laughing? Is there anything funny in what I said?"

   “Nothing. It’s just that I wish that I had a simple life like yours Yuri-ah.”

   “Why would you possibly want anything as boring as my life? You already have everything anyone would ever dream of.” He tucked his arm under his head.

   “Like what?”

   “You have a nice house, and good surroundings. You even have good maid servants for crying out loud!” He stared at her softly.

   “I agree. Everyone treats me exceptionally well and I’m grateful. I don’t have the right to complain about anything. Don’t I? But…” He tried to find words.

   “But what?” she interrupted.

   “...But just because I have a nice house, it doesn’t make it feel like a home.” She felt a little sorry for him, knowing how much he struggled with his family since they were kids.

   “Then what’s a home to you?” He smirked without an answer. Her face came closer as her head leaned on her folded arm.

   “It’s Yoona, isn’t it?” Khun turned his gaze towards her, still not uttering a single word. “Wah! How can I forget about all of this? She’s the reason you came back, isn’t she?” He was ready to answer a big ‘no’, but instead observed her pretty eyes sparkle with the little light coming from the outside. “Have you spoken to each other?”

   “Aniyo! Not a word.”

   “Yah! You didn’t even tell her that you were in the country? You’re really dumb Khun-ssi. Babo! You have to call her if you want her back…” He snorted, thinking about how his feelings for Yoona vanished a long time ago. “I promise that I won’t get in your way this time… What happened years ago between the two of you was completely my fault. If it weren’t for me, you two would still be dating. I was selfish for thinking you were mine. So, whatever you need help with in getting her back, just ask me. After all, it’s all my fault.” Yuri yawned out of exhaustion and lifted the blanket to her shoulders.

   “But Yoona’s not the one I want, Yuri-ah,” he thought to himself, let down.

   “Anyways, goodnight Khun-ssi.” Before she could turn to her opposite side, Nichkhun wrapped her around his arms, cuddling next to her pleasantly.

   “What are you doing?” He ignored her question and held her tighter. His face was inches away from hers. Yuri could see every bit of his warm features, and could feel his arms rested on her skin. His eyes were closed, which made him look like an innocent angel.

   “I miss this.”

   “Yah! If Taec see’s us like this, he’ll get the wrong idea.”

   “That’s fine. As long as I get 10 minutes like this, I couldn’t care less.” Her eyes became softer. The feeling that boiled inside her was indescribable. They laid on the bed, Khun’s arms over Yuri. Khun just couldn’t let go. For the rest of the night, they remained this way, just like old times.

Meanwhile, in Thailand…

   “Any sign of him?” asked Mrs. Horvejkul to her secretary. She nodded in despair. “Search more. Make it fast, his wedding is soon and he has to be here for it.”

   “Of course your highness. Will do.” The secretary left her in the room with her husband. They were furious at this elope. The husband and wife sat in misery, thinking about how Nichkhun could possibly be their son whom they raised all these years.

   “What kind of boy would escape from an important marriage? Doesn’t he know where his priorities are?” questioned the King with some sort of indescribable anger.

   “He’s still young and he wouldn’t understand that royalty comes first,” replied the mother acting slightly understanding.

   “I don’t understand that child. He’s been this way ever since he was a boy. When will he finally accept that he’s a Prince, not a regular and everyday boy? Any news on where he might be?”

   “They’re checking the country and the airports to find out whether he left Thailand or not. Everything is under control so far which means that he’ll be found soon enough.”

   “Good.” The king smiled at this thought of encouragement. The queen did as well. Moreover, she felt a rumble of hesitation and doubt. Was forcing a marriage really the right thing to do?