The Absurd Idea

My Thai Prince

 Watch trailer here:

Four years went by slowly. Yuri finished high school and even began studying at a university. She was taking an engineering course, just like she had always wanted. Her determination and hard work brought her thus far down the road of success. However, studying wasn’t the only thing she did in life. Work managed to envade her daily watch for the most part. Not to mention, there was also Minho: a handsome, young and talented man.

   He and Yuri dated for quite a while in that spand of time. He radically helped her get over Nichkhun. Her heart didn’t ache as much when she was with him. He was like the remedy to her sickness, or the medicine to her pain. Even if, at first, he couldn’t compare to what she felt for Khun, she learned to love him too.

    Not as much obviously, but enough to satisfy herself in one way or another. Minho led her to believe that he was the perfect boyfriend. He even removed all signs of regret that lingered in her thoughts for trying to forget Nichkhun.

   Things went well for them.

    Taecyeon, on the other hand, was still working hard for the sake of him and his sister. He didn’t remove contact with Khun and texted him from time to time. He knew about his sister’s relationship with Minho, and didn’t like it. He even tried hiding it from Nichkhun, just to keep things simple.

   It wasn’t about Minho. Minho was…well Minho… It was because that person, whom he wanted Yuri to love, wasn’t Khun and he didn’t trust anyone who wasn’t otherwise.

   The only one he would really and truly accept as his brother-in-law was his best friend. But evidently, this was out of his control.

   Nichkhun was doing fairly well too. He went to school, studied the art of being a Prince and simply lived a life of… A prince. The fancy clothing, the formal speech and the delicious meals were all part of his boring life. What do you expect from a family of royalty?


In Korea…

   Yuri waited for Minho on front of his house. It was cold outside and ice covered almost everything. She rubbed her hands together to keep warm. She wanted to surprise Minho with a visit. They haven’t seen each other in a while.

   Finally! Footsteps could be heard from the end of the path. But something was very strange. It sounded more like 2 pairs of feet rather than one. To top it all off, she heard a voice of a woman.

   Then, she saw it: The scene of her nightmares. Minho’s arm was wrapped around a beautiful lady. That beautiful lady, wasn't her. The couple slowly strolled down the entrance path, having an interesting conversation that Yuri couldn’t help but overhear.

   “So what happened to that stray girlfriend of yours?” she asked playfully. He looked amuse at the question.

   “Oh, her. I don’t know. I haven’t spoken to her in a while. We’ve been dating for 2 years and I’m starting to get a little bored. She’s too… nice. Not my type at all.” He chuckle again. Minho’s laugh soon dropped when he saw Yuri glaring at him furiously on front of his door. “Yuri-ah! How long were you standing there?”  

   She continued to frown hastily while gripping her own fist tightly. Yuri retained herself well; otherwise, Minho would’ve been on the floor by now. She took a deep breath before going by him. He grabbed her arm, making her even angrier than before. She pulled away and gave him a powerful punch on the cheek. Minho fell on the ground, tasting the blood in his mouth.

   Yuri breathed heavily, letting out her rage against him. “I knew you were too good to be true,” she simply stated in fury. Minho's little companion came by his side and gave out one of those annoying glares


In Thailand…

   Nichkhun sat lazily on the couch with a cup of water in his hand. He flicked the channels one by one, not having anything scheduled for himself that day. Everything was so plain and boring. This was all part of his regular life.

   His mother barged into his room with a certain mischievous smile on her face. Every time Khun saw this, he knew that he had to be scared in some way.

   “Yes?” he asked about his mother gazing weirdly at him.

   “My Khunnie dear, I have great news!”

   “Hooray!” he shouted sarcastically. It nearly looked as if he were mocking her.

   “I’m not joking Khunnie. This is no laughing matter.”

   “What is it?” he asked with half interest. She paused to create an effect.

   “You’re getting married!” The prince dropped his remote and changed his expression.

   “Since when? To whom?” Khun was puzzled.

   “To Victoria Song. All this since we agreed to an arranged marriage with her family. She's such a cutie-pie. Now, you don't have to worry. She's your age and she went through nearly the same training as you.” He just couldn’t believe this. His parents have done odd things, but they never went this far.

   “Anyio. Forget it!” he said passively, while playing with the remote again.

   “Too late son. She’s already waiting outside your room. I invited her over to meet you.”

   “Well I bet that she won’t mind leaving.”

   “Khunnie, don’t be silly.” The overjoyed mother called upon her maid to open the door of his majestic bedroom. And there she was. A pretty girl… a woman… who seemed nice by looks. Khun glared at her with annoyance despite her appearance. She entered the room with discomfort. The queen couldn't seem to get a hold of herself.

 

   The two had time to get to know each other over dinner with their parents. They could barely make up a conversation. If there were exchanges of words, it was acted out in order to please their parents who were keeping a close eye on them.

   “So, what do you do normally?” asked Victoria who was desperately trying to make this work. Nichkhun played with his chopsticks as he tried to pick up some rice.

   “Well, you know the regular stuff,” he simply answered. She nodded and gazed away. The Prince began to listen to the adult conversation happening only a few seats away. 

   “It’s great that things are going well thus far. Plus Nichkhun and Victoria will get to know each other later on, during the wedding preparations," expressed Mrs Horvejkul with ease.

   “Wedding preparations?” asked Nichkhun a bit disturbed by the word ‘wedding’ at the beginning stages of this meeting. He didn't expect it to come so fast.

   “Yes wedding preparations. The wedding will be held in less than 3 weeks, so, we’ll have to hurry.” He almost chocked on his water.

   “3 weeks!” His mom frowned at her son, telling him to calm down. His father tried retreating and covering up his rude expression.

   “My son actually means that he can’t wait for the event to come. He’s been single for a while, you see.”

   Nichkhun wiped his face with the table napkin and cleared his trout. He gave them a bow.  “Please excuse me.” He uttered leaving the table and making his way upstairs. Behind him, he shooed his maid-servants out of his sight and locked himself vigorously in his bedroom. He took a deep breath, afraid to ever face something like that again.

   He couldn’t stay there. The thought of getting married to somebody he barely knew was frightening, even if Victoria seemed like a nice person. The concept of 'arranged marriage' is what he feared the most when upholding the position of prince.

   Then, Yuri came to mind. Her soft expression, her warm personality and her tough nature kept replaying in his head. When leaving years ago, Khun could only cry during the whole flight. He regretted not working things out before he left. Until that very date, the feelings he developed since Yuri’s confession continued to grow.

Being apart made him miss her terribly. He missed her smile, her warmth and her comfort. Thinking about all these things created a huge list of reasons why he shouldn’t get married to Victoria. If only there was a way he could return to his old friends, and escape the horrors of marrying someone he barely knew.

That was when he decided to go back to Korea. 

 

   His maids and his butler were nearby, on front of his room. Mr. Horvejkul always made them keep a close eye on their son knowing how rebellious he was. Nobody seemed like they paid much attention at the moment. He locked the door shut and ran back inside. He paced around for a few minutes, making up a short plan in his head. His escape had to be simple but swift. The prince opened his gigantic closet and grabbed a bit of every clothing. Everything was then stuffed rapidly into a big sports bag.

   He slipped on a grey sweater and black sweats, trying to dress most discretely as possible. He opened his window and threw his bag outside. Remembering his passport, he quickly retreated and grabbed everything he needed for the airport. His mission: go back to Korea and avoid his wedding.

   "Goodness... I hope that they don't guess where I'm going right away," he told himself while avoiding the numerous carmeras. He knew the mansion by heart. He took a second to look at the sky. It was already dark.


   It was Saturday morning. No work meant more sleep for Taec and Yuri. It was already 12:45 and the siblings couldn’t find a way to get out of bed. Taecyeon was tired from work and Yuri continuously thought about her break-up with Minho in her room. She felt in a horrible state. For a second, she jolted.

    There was a knock at the door.

   “Yuri-ah! Can you get it?” screamed Taecyeon from the other room. She scrambled before sluggishly getting on her feet.

   “I’m coming!” she shouted at the person behind the door. She fixed her hair before opening it. “Annyeong hasyeo!” Her eyes couldn’t fully see who it was yet. She glanced to see if Taec was coming from behind. Then, once her eyes ajusted, it was crystal clear.