I'm Still With You

My Thai Prince

Yoona came out of Yuri’s room with sweat draining down her face. Taecyeon stopped pacing and ran towards the nurse. She was out of breath when the door flung open.

   “What’s wrong? What happened?” he asked nervously. Her voice was rusty.

   “Yuri is okay. She’s going to be okay…” The pressure in Taec’s stomach released. As a reflex, he made up a smile as his arms wrapped themselves around Yoona.

   “Komawo… Thank you for saving her.” He held her tighter. “She’s all I have left. If she left me, I don’t know what I would’ve done.” He slowly freed her body and gently kissed her on the cheek. Yoona’s eyes grew in surprise. Her heart began to gradually beat faster. Taecyeon didn’t notice her uncomfortable state. His overflowing joy took over because he knew that his sister was going to live. 

   Yoona backed away a little, feeling a bit awkward in their current position. Why was she feeling this way? It was only Taecyeon after all.

   “Bwoh? What’s wrong?” he asked confused yet keeping the smile. She stuttered with much difficulty creating words. She scratched her head and gazed away.

   “Nothing…” she covered up. He smiled, happy about everything that was happening. Everything was falling back into place.


   After clearing the room, Nichkhun met his parents at the door. He was jumping for joy interiorly. He couldn’t seem to control his emotions when he faced the king and queen. Yuri was okay, and that’s all he could think of.

   “Mom, dad, she survived. Yuri will make it!” he exclaimed with a strong tone in his voice.” Mrs. Horvejkul sighed in relief.

   “Thank goodness. That’s great news.” Nichkhun ran towards his mother and squeezed her between his arms. She was happy that the Yuri she had known for so long ended up being okay. Mr. Horvejkul smiled as well, but he had another reason to do so. He laid an arm on his son’s shoulder, making Khun glance behind himself.

   “That’s wonderful son. Now that this is over, why don’t we head home?” Nichkhun’s smile dropped. “According to your promise, that’s what we agreed on. Haven’t we?” The king was anxious to get him married with Victoria. He couldn’t wait any longer. However, Nichkhun was still sour on this idea. It really didn’t meet his priority list.

   “Dad, can I ask you a favor?” He quickly came up with an excuse to stay a little longer, making him appeal to his better nature. The king’s eyes shrunk while listening to his request. “I know how long you’ve been waiting for me. It was also stupid of me to run away, but can’t you give me at least week? I’m just asking for a little more time that I can spend with Yuri without anyone’s intervention. Please,…” he begged in English.

   “Nichkhun Horvejkul, we can’t afford…”

   “I know that I’m asking for too much, but this is the last thing that I’ll ever ask you for. If you give me just a few days with Yuri, I won’t only marry Victoria, I’ll learn to love her. I’ll accept her as wife on paper and by heart. Just give me a chance to love Yuri one last time.” Mrs. Horvejkul glared at her husband, telling him to give in.

   “Dear, the least you can do is give this to your son.” They stared at him with merciful eyes.

   “Fine. But only until she wakes up. Then, you’re coming home.”


A few days later, Yuri woke up still feeling a little weak in her bones. She remained in the coma room just in case anything else might happen. The heart monitor etched green electronic peaks on its screen. This made Nichkhun feel warm all over, knowing that Yuri was doing well. Yoona adjusted valves on the IVs attached to the patient’s arms while Nichkhun held her delicate hand. She was still very pale and black circles went around her eyes.

   “You don’t have vital signs,” explained the nurse. Yuri still had various lingering thoughts going through her head. She had no absolute idea what happened. 

   “Was I---, dead?”

   “Yes, clinically. But you came back.”

   “So, the machines saved me?” Yoona smiled and gazed at Nichkhun.

   “Aniyo, Nichkhun did. HE saved you.” Yuri’s weak eyes focused back on her precious Thai Prince. She grinned playfully yet dimly. Yoona saw their eye contact and decided to leave the two alone. She snuck out of the room and gave a discrete wink before her exit. They proceeded.

   “Oppa, I want to get out of here,” she said softly.

   “Huh?” His eyebrows rose.

   “I want to go home,” she repeated slightly louder. Nichkhun’s rubbed her frail hand. No one spoke and the atmosphere remained extremely quiet. All he wanted to do is watch her lay on the bed with her pleasant smile.

 

 

   Hours later, Yuri was brought to her room again. Her life wasn’t on the verge of failing anymore. The infections had ceased and the air mask wasn’t necessary any longer. Everyone watched her barely having the strength to place her weight on the wheelchair all by herself. Her eyes dimly blinked as she gazed around the room. Taecyeon kissed her forehead and fixed the seat she was on. Mr. Horvejkul bowed in respect and beamed at her while his wife rubbed the patience’s shoulder like a mother. Victoria simply greeted her goodbye, not really sure what type of opinion she had of Yuri. The king leaned over and whispered in his son’s ear.

   “We’re leaving tonight. Enjoy it while it last.” Nichkhun frowned and rolled his eyes. Everyone cleared the room, leaving the two alone for the very last time. Yuri’s head leaned on her folded arm as she remained in a gaze.

   “Are you feeling alright?” Yuri nodded. Seeing her smile so sincerely was great.

   “Oppa, can we go outside?” she asked seemingly tired. “I haven’t gotten a glimpse of the sunlight yet and fresh air wouldn’t hurt.” He didn’t utter a word and obeyed without objection. He put on his jacket and covered Yuri with hers. He pushed her wheelchair out the door, through the hallways and into the hospital grass area. Yuri took a huge sniff and rubbed her arms against each other. “It feels so good.”

   Nichkhun smiled at her satisfaction. He watched her enjoy the pleasant outdoors, sitting on her wheelchair. She seemed mesmerized even if it was only the hospital grounds. Then it finally occurred to him, he was leaving, and Yuri didn’t know it yet. The prince bent down to his knees, his face just inches away from hers. Her guard turned towards his charming stare.

   “What is it?” asked Yuri.  

   “Nothing…” She grinned and squeezed his cheeks between her hands.

   “Gamsahamnida oppa… For saving me.” He pressed her checks the same way she did.

   “I should be thanking you. Thank you for living.” Yuri laughed and let go of him.

   “I’m thankful to Victoria. It was really nice of her to offer her bone marrow.” Nichkhun bit his lip. “I wonder what made her want to help me even if I was the one stealing her fiancé.”

   He knew exactly the reason, but he couldn’t seem to say it at the moment. He didn’t want to destroy the smile she was wearing, a smile that she didn’t put up for months.

   “Oppa, is anything wrong?” He broke out of these thoughts.

   “Yuri-ah, I…” Nichkhun hesitated…

   “You what?”  He couldn’t say it. To cover up his words, he pressed his lips against hers. Yuri’s lips were dry and rough from the minimal amount of water she had in her body, but Nichkhun savored them tenderly. They unlocked lips but remained inches apart. “What was that for?”

   “I did it just in case.”

   “In case of what?” she asked confused. Nichkhun remained quiet and played through her fingers. Yuri was skeptical. Her prince was acting completely unusual and it worried her.


   Yuri twitched back and forth on her bed. She had a weird feeling in her stomach. Something was missing. She opened her eyes and waited for her vision to improve. Only a lamp was on, enough to see Taecyeon sleeping on the couch. There was something else; an envelope on top of her table. She picked it up and observed it carefully.  It was Nichkhun’s handwriting. The words written on the paper made Yuri drop what she was holding.

Yuri-ah,

I feel so ashamed. The moment your heart started beating again, you have no idea how grateful I was. I could only thank Victoria for what she did for you. Every blessing only comes with a cost. Nothing is ever free in this world. For this reason, in exchange for your marrow, I was the price. Yuri, please don’t feel bad. Please don’t think that it’s your fault. It was my choice. Just remember that I did this because your life is more important to me than my feelings. I would rather see you live without me, than see you die with me. I’m sorry if I keep hurting you. It would’ve probably been better if I didn’t come back at all, but I couldn’t help but return for you, because I love you so much. Saragnhae Yuri. Never forget that. Even if I get married with Victoria, I will ALWAYS love you best. Even if we can’t be together, I’ll always be your Thai Prince. So don’t feel guilty, because seeing you live is enough for me. No matter what, I’m still with you.

Nichkhun Horvejkul