Oppa, it hurts

My Thai Prince

 Yuri was still immobile, showing no absolute sign of improvement these past days. Nichkhun slowly did other things besides his usual habit of sticking around her bed. Mostly, he went for walks to think or spent time with a few of the children in the hospital. He figured he would be able to make a clearer decision if he withdrew from Yuri for a bit. Taecyeon left it all up to him to choose whether or not to resume this treatment. Besides, this choice would affect Khun’s future and not his.

   Many moments, he prayed quietly while feeling confused yet clear on what he should do. In any case, he would lose her anyways, so letting her die would be imperative.

   The moment he pronounced the “yes” to Victoria and his parent’s request felt like the end of his life. But it was for Yuri’s sake. It was for her life. After all, she had sacrificed so much for him in the past, so he owed her plenty. The king was completely glad to hear his son’s answer. Khun would finally have to follow under his authority for once. This was the perfect threat. However, Nichkhun, despite being able to save Yuri and see her live freely, wasn’t very thrilled.

   Victoria went to the extraction room to remove part of her bone marrow. It was a long process which required much courage and generosity. The prince tapped his future wife on the shoulder and smiled with his usual charm.

   “Thanks for doing this,” he said. Her heart nearly melted before heading inside. This smile definately gave her the courage to proceed with this sacrifice.

 

***

   A few hours of waiting anxiously for the results occurred before being able to see either one of the women behind the operation rooms. Everyone was eager to see how things would turn out. Would Yuri’s body reject the marrow? Did everything go smoothly? All of the answers to these questions were unconfirmed for now.

   Doctor Choi showed up in the middle of their stressful moments. He didn’t seem overjoyed, nor did he seem unsatisfied. His expressions were juggling between the two emotions. Taecyeon was the first to get to his feet.

   “How was the operation?” asked Taec impatiently.

   “Well, it’s a bit complex. She’s hanging on to her life at the moment. Her heart is a big concern. We’re keeping her attached to the heart monitor and we put a crash chart in her room in case of a cardiac arrest.” Nichkhun got a sick feeling in his stomach at the thought of it. Were they expecting her to die or something?

   Yoona spoke as well: “It’s only a precautionary measure. Her heartbeat is still strong despite her condition. As long as the monitor beeps, she’s alive.”

   “Precisely. But we have to be extremely careful. Her immune system is weak. A simple cold can be deadly.”

   Everyone bowed at the end of his sentence. Nichkhun glanced over at the door behind which Yuri laid helplessly under a beeping monitor. Was she going to make it?

 


 

   Two days later, what they had feared happened. Yuri caught a fever, one that infected severely. Punching the wall in anger, Nichkhun couldn’t believe it at all.

   “Everything was going so well with the bone marrow settling in, but the fever had to ruin it. Are you guys trying to play with me? Why aren’t you saving her?”

   “We’re doing everything in our power. But we’ll attempt another attack with antibiotics,” assured Yoona.

   “Stop it! I’m sick of this. First you say there’s hope, and then you say otherwise. Then there’s hope again, and then you contradict yourself once more. And now I don’t know what do believe.” Yoona didn’t say anything. Nichkhun was suffering enough and lying to him wasn’t going to help. She watched him walked past her in frustration.

   Going to Yuri’s room, the prince sat beside her bed out of concern.

   Nichkhun played with her fingers covered in wired. Her skin was as swollen as ever. She didn’t look like Yuri anymore. Under that white hat, her hair had probably detached from her scalp. 

   Her eyes flickered. At this, Nichkhun jumped off his seat and came closer. He pressed the button above her head to call a medical staff member. Yuri’s eyes were now opened. Out of all her changed features, those big brown eyes were the only thing remaining unchanged.

   “Yuri-ah!” he called in desperation. “Are you okay? How do you feel?” She tenderly stared at him with the minimal strength she possessed in her body.

   “Oppa, what happened?” she asked very quietly.

   “You’re getting better, Yuri-ah. Victoria’s bone marrow is inside of you now and you’ll recover quickly, I promise. Just don’t give up. You’re going great.”

   “Khun oppa…” she called once again. “I want to sleep. It really hurts. I just want to close my eyes.” He could see a tear flow down her face. She really looked in pain. But if she fell asleep, who knows if she would be able to wake up again.”

   “Yuri-ah, don’t sleep. Stay awake for me.”

   “Nichkhun Horvejkul, saranghae.” After her final words, her eyes shut tight. Her head fell back to the side as the monitor showed a straight and flat line. The regular beeping turned into a long hum.

   The room began to fill up with activity. Nichkhun shrank against the wall a bit further from the bed. Various doctors rushed through the door as well as the technicians. They threw the bedcovers against the floor and began.

   “No pulse!” shouted the first.

   “I can’t get a blood pressure!”

   Nichkhun didn’t move. All that he concentrated on was the heart monitor that showed her malfunctioned heart. All the commotion around him didn’t exist in his mind. All he could see is Yuri.

Flashback to middle school…

   Yuri got up from her table to throw the garbage from her delicious lunch. Taec ate with other guys today. She decided not to bother him this time. Asides from her brother and Nichkhun, Yuri didn’t have many friends at school. No matter how hard she tried to befriend other girls, they all seemed to hate her with a passion because of her close relationship with the Thai Prince. On the other hand, guys adored her. They admired her pretty face, her hot body and her kindhearted yet tough personality. However, Yuri avoided boys; they were a waste of her precious time. Because of these reasons, she was often on her own for that matter.

   Sorting out her tray, she was ready to get out of the building for fresh air. Before even being able to take a few steps to the exit, a group of girls surrounded her. Trying to break through their wall, she gave them an angry glare.

   “Is there anything you need unni?” she asked with kindhearted sarcasm.

   “Nothing really. I just need a favor.” Yuri stared at her from head to toe.

   “Speak.”

   “I want Nichkhun. I’ve been eying him for a while and I like him. So pass him the message that I’m interested in him. Does this seem reasonable?”

   “So you just want me to tell him about you’re interest in him. That’s all?”

   “Well, that’s part of my request. What I really want you to do is make him fall in love with me. Then if you succeed, we’ll leave you alone.” Yuri gazed away. They were acting like ridiculous fan girls.

   “No thanks. I’m not going to do anything of that sort. It’s just dumb. I have no intention on forcing Khun oppa into something I can’t control. You can mess with me my whole life if you want, but I’m not making him get into this.” Feeling annoyed by this rejection, she got a strong grip on Yuri’s hair.

   “You’re just refusing because you’re planning on keeping him for yourself. Huh?” Yuri tried to jerk away, but at least 4 other girls were pulling on her clothes and her hair. She couldn’t seem to fight against their tugging.

   Their hands started to draw away abruptly. Yuri’s eyes were shut tightly as she tried her best to protect herself. Someone then hugged her within their tender arms. Her guardian angel pulled her aside and away from those fan girls.

   “Nichkhun-ssi,” called their leader in surprise.

   “Get away from her. Don’t ever touch her again!” The girls didn’t say anything. Pushing them aside, Nichkhun lead his friend outside the school and onto the bench of the school field. He fixed her shirt collar, pulled her clothes into place and combed her hair to perfection. She gazed at him with embarrassment.

   “Oppa, why are you treating me like this? And why did you help me back there? Didn’t I tell you to ignore whatever they do to me?  The more you do that, the more they’ll continue to hate me because of you.”

   “I couldn’t help it. They were really hurting you that time.” She scrunched her face. “Yah! Don’t ever think about spending your lunch breaks alone. From now on, you have to stick with me. Araso?”

    From that day forward, they almost never spend a lunch break apart.

End of flashback and in hospital…

    “Get a cart!” The machine next to Nichkhun was yanked and shoved over Yuri’s bed. They attached electrodes to her skin. Nichkhun couldn’t move. What was going to happen to her?

“Clear!”