Since Then…

My Thai Prince

Watch trailer here!!!  

10 years back… 

  Eight year old Yuri loved to read books even though she rarely had the chance to. This was her way of forgetting all her problems that flooded her life since the very start. Breaking her imagination wondering in the book, Taec put his hands over her eyes. Yuri could easily recognize her brother by his regular mint smell he naturally possessed.

   “Oppa! I know it’s you.” She looked behind her. Oddly, there were two people; one was her brother, the other was unfamiliar. She had never seen him before.

   “Hey Yuri-ah, this is Nichkhun. He’ll be coming to our place for a project we have to do tonight.” She stared at him attentively; studying every inch of his body. He was a boy, around their age, good looks and attractive. He smiled at Yuri who already stood up to bow.

   “Annyeong haseyo, Yuri imnida,” she pronounced. He did the same.

   “Ye! Khun imnida. It’s nice to meet you.” There was an awkward atmosphere at first, but not for long. After getting into the house and talking for a bit, the three played with each other all night long and Nichkhun even forgot to go home that evening. Since then, they were friends… Best friends…

 

   6 years back…

     Yuri couldn’t find TaecYeon anywhere during their parent's funeral  After finding out that they died in a plane crash, he suddenly grew in depression and disappeared every now and then. She became extremely worried for him.

    After wondering around the church grounds, she still found no sign of him. Yuri acted strong until now in comparison to her brother, refusing to shed even a single tear. However, his absence made her want to cry.

   “Taecyeon oppa!” she cried while glancing at each direction. Out of exhaustion, she sat on a bench nearby and sighed. Tears began to flow down her face, tears that didn’t want to come out, but did anyway. “Omma… Appa… Why did you leave us?” she questioned with sobs.

   Gazing off to her own world, someone behind her wrapped their arm around her shoulders. Her eyes rolled back to make up who it was.

   “Khun oppa!” she called with a weaker voice. His soft cheeks rubbed against her head and her ear, warming her up from the cold wind. “What are you doing here? Where’s Taec oppa?” He let go of her shoulders and sat beside her.

   “I don’t know.” Her guard came down. “But, wherever he is, whatever he’s doing, I’m sure that he’ll be fine… Don’t worry about your brother, Yuri-ah. The one you should be more concerned of is yourself.”

   “Aniyo! I’m perfectly fine.”  Nichkhun slid closer to her and stared directly in her eyes. His hand crept up to take hers, holding it gently to her touch. Her heart began to beat faster with a sudden feeling of tension in her stomach. Why was it doing this?

   “Yuri-ah, has anyone ever told you that those who act the strongest are those who are really in the most pain?” She didn’t say anything and knew this applied to her.

   “Khun oppa, why does God have to take away our parents again? First our biological and now our adoptive! It’s as if Taecyeon oppa and I are forbidden to have parents.” Khun could tell she was trying to hold in a lot of tears.

   “I know how you feel.” At this, her eyes came up once again.

   “You do?”

   “I never felt like I had parents myself. Although they bore me into the world, they never treated me like a son. I was a simple Prince to them, nothing more than royalty. We lived in two different worlds.” He paused for a second and continued. “Do you know how I overcame being an unlisted orphan?”     

   “How?”

   “I met you guys. You both were my parents, my brother and my sister, my real friends.” This made a cheerful smile creep up her face. “Yuri-ah, now, it’s my turn to be your guardian.”

   Since then, Yuri realized that she fell in love with Nichkhun, her guardian angel.

 

   4 years back…

   The siblings walked side-by-side in the school hallway, as usual. It was lunch, and Khun normally joined them at this time of the day to eat with them. After a morning with their separate friends, it was necessary to have their own quality time.

    A few meters away, TaecYeon spotted Khun with other people. “There’s mister popular,” he whispered to Yuri. She smiled and turned to his direction as well.

   “Oh, anneyong. Were you waiting for me?” They nodded passively in responds to the prince's question. “Sorry for being late. But, I do have something to tell you guys.”

   They made their way to a lunch table and sat in a circle. Both looked at Khun, anticipating the secret news to be revealed.

   “So what is it?” asked Yuri impatiently. “Spit it out!” Khun’s face turned red as he blushed nervously before even saying anything.

   “Well… ummm… The thing is…”

   “Say it!” ordered Taec with suspense building up in the atmosphere.

   “Ok fine. I’ll say it. I’m dating Im Yoona.” They both stared at him in shock. The dumpling in Yuri’s mouth dropped on her plate and Taecyeon almost chocked on his water. The loyal brother knew about his sister’s unfortunate feelings she had been building up for the past years. He looked at her reaction from the corner of the eye, trying to make sure she looked seemingly alright. Yuri’s shock soon turned into a smile.

   “That’s great Khun! You’re finally taking advantage of your popularity. Congratulations!” Taec knew it was fake, she was obviously hurting. To make matter’s better for her he spoke up.

   “Are you sure that this is such a good idea? I mean… There are other girls out there. Look, Yuri’s right here. Why don’t you date her instead?” Nichkhun began to laugh, thinking it was a complete joke.

   “Yuri-ah and me? No way, we’re practically brother and sister, we can never date.” Yuri glared at Taec viciously because of what he had said.

   “Yah! Oppa! What are you saying? We can’t go out together, we’re basically related.” Her tone sounded hesitant. The sibling gave one last look at each other. “Anyways, Khun oppa, don’t listen to Taec and take good care of her. Okay?”  He smiled and approved of this promise. Taecyeon could see her eyes drop in disappointment, yet still faking her endless joy.

   After finishing the meal, they made their final greetings.

   “Thanks for having lunch with me, guys. I appreciate it,” he said while taking a step back to leave. At his departure, Taec’s glare turned towards Yuri.

   “Why did you lie?”

   “That wasn’t a lie, I AM happy for him!”

   “Stop denying your feelings, Yuri, and tell him before it’s really too late.” She laughed lightly and said: “Oppa… it’s already too late.”

   Since then, she realized that she stood no chance against her opponent,Yoona. It was time to forget about the idea of being in a possible relationship with Khun, because she wasn’t worth it.

 

   3 years and 8 months back…

   The air was wonderful and the sun beamed on Korea in this beautiful day of September. Yuri was enjoying this splendid whether while contemplating her surroundings.

   Glancing at one side to another, her eyes fell on Nichkhun leaning on a pillar. His face seemed filled with sadness. She made her way to him and leaned on the pillar as well.

   “Khun oppa, aren’t you enjoying this awesome day?” He nodded without even looking at her. “There’s something wrong, isn’t there?” He didn’t answer this time but finally stared at her with eyes of disappointment.

   “Is it about your dad again?” she asked quietly.

   “You know me to well,” he answered a bit frustrated.

   “Another fight, huh?” she sighed. “You’re dad is just worried about you Khun. He doesn’t hate you. All he wants is for his Prince to end up a success.”

   “Out of all people, why do I have to be the Prince? I completely despise being viewed as royalty.” Yuri took Nichkhun’s hand and layed it on her shoulder.

   “I don’t know why God put you in that place. It’s just the way things are; just as he likes them. Something good will come out of this, I promise. But if you get too tired of being son of a King, then call me. I’ll adopt you." He looked at her surprised yet confused. “Remember when my parents died? You told me that I was like your mom. Well if I’m like so, then I should adopt you. Shouldn’t I?" 

   They laughed and Nichkhun pushed her slightly but playfully. She loved seeing him smile like this.

   Only a few feet away, Yoona glared at them out of pure jealousy. She watched as they looked more like a dating couple rather than long friends. Painfully observing the scene, she butted in.

   “What are you two doing?” Yuri didn’t say anything and her smile disappeared.

   “Yoona, don’t misunderstand. We were just playing around.” He walked beside her and held his girlfriend’s hand. “Yuri-ah, Yoona and I are leaving. Thanks for keeping me company!”

   They walked away, leaving Yuri behind. She felt her own jealousy rising up into fire, but quickly reminded herself that he didn’t belong to her. He never belonged to her. Since then, she knew that Khun wasn’t hers and he would never be.