Chapter 8

Hidden Destiny

Chapter Eight

(Taeyeon’s POV)

“Hi, guys!” Lay, Luhan’s friend from before, greeted us as he and Luhan went over to our group’s table during lunch.

Lay sat on an empty chair beside Chen. Luhan pulled a chair beside Seohyun and put his arm over her shoulder.

“Paboya! Annyeong!” He smiled at her.

“What?” Seohyun demanded irritatedly.

“I just wanna ask if I could have lunch with you.” He said.

“You’re already seated. Do we have a choice?” Seohyun snapped at him.

“You really amuse me, paboya!” Luhan leaned over Seohyun and pinched her cheeks.

She slapped his hand off her face. Jessica and I cleared our throats teasingly. Seohyun glared at us.

Recently, I had been pestering Seohyun with my constant teasing. Luhan seemed to be spending more time with her… with us. He was like Suho’s replacement.

Suho rarely ate lunch with us. Scratch that. He was NOT spending lunch time or any other free time with us anymore. He, together with Tao, hang around with Heyi’s group. Kyungsoo preferred to hang out with Jongin, Sehun, and Xiumin.

“What was Chorong doing at the gym during class hours, hyung? I saw her there.” Baekhyun asked Luhan.

“She skipped class and took PE, instead.” Luhan replied.

“Why is that?” Baekhyun asked.

“She’s stalking Kris Wu, duh!” Lay answered.

“What is Kris Wu doing at the gym during class hours?” Baekhyun asked again.

“He’s doing some varsity whatyamacallit stuffs.” Luhan shrugged.

 “Wait a minute, aren’t you supposed to be part of that varsity stuff you were saying?” I asked.

“Luhan and I quit basketball.” Lay said.

“Wow, you finally convinced Romeo to quit. But what about his Juliet?” Jessica asked Lay.

“I didn’t convince Luhan to quit basketball. He quit voluntarily.” Lay said.

“Eh?” Seohyun gaped at Luhan.

“What? I quit basketball only, not Chorong. Don’t get your hopes high. You don’t have a chance with me, yet.” Luhan told her.

Seohyun rolled her eyes at him. We laughed at her.

Soon, our group was divided into different conversations.

Luhan teased Lay and Jessica. Jessica rolled her eyes at him and said that Lay was too soft and feminine; what with all his aegyo and dimples, not to mention he’s too clumsy for a boy in that age. Lay tried to defend himself. Luhan said that if he was Lay, he would kiss Jessica in the lips to show her who’s too soft and feminine.

Chen and Seohyun, on the other hand, were tasting and comparing each other’s lunch. They were that close, and their conversations were that weird. They started sharing out-of-the-world jokes that only the two of them appreciated… weird.

My gaze caught Baekhyun’s. It took us a second before we realized that we were both “spying” on our friends’ businesses. We both chuckled.

“I’ll just go buy water.” I excused myself but no one paid attention.

“I’ll accompany Taeyeon.” Baekhyun also excused himself and he was also ignored. “Kaepsong~” He muttered under his breath when no one replied.

So much for being polite.

Baekhyun and I left our friends.

“Looks like we’re very welcome in our group.” Baekhyun joked as we walked.

I laughed. “I feel at peace just watching and listening to them.”

“Yeah, me, too.” Baekhyun agreed. “Except for those alienated jokes shared by my cousin and my best friend.”

“Don’t you think they’ll make a cute couple?” I asked him.

“They always agree with each other. I guess those who constantly teased each other is more romantic; just like Seohyun and Luhan.”

“Their names even match, Seo-Han.” I laughed. “But I still think Chen suits Seohyun more.”

“I still vote for Luhan-hyung. I promised him.” Baekhyun won’t change his mind.

“Heeey…”  Came a sweet sing-songy voice.

Baekhyun and I looked and saw that it was from Yoo Heyi. We were just passing by their table. Suho, Tao, and even Kyungsoo were there with Heyi’s friends.

“Your group seems to be the noisiest here.” Heyi remarked.

I will shoot this girl…

“We’re just cheerful and we get along well.” I smiled sarcastically at her.

“Hey, Baekhyun! Is it true that something’s going on with Luhan and your pretty cousin?” Tao asked Baekhyun. “Kris said she was the reason why Luhan quit the varsity and Lay followed him.” Tao continued.

“Neither of them tells me anything.” Baekhyun shook his head.

“That puzzles me, too. It seems that Seohyun’s getting along more with Chen.” Suho said.

“Chen and Seohyun?!” Kyungsoo asked.

“It’s silent competition.” Baekhyun chuckled.

“Speaking of silent competitions,” Lizzy, Heyi’s best friend, chimed in conversationally. “Kris Wu is running after Heyi.”

“Really? I thought Kris likes Park Chorong.” Tao asked.

“Chorong likes Kris. But Kris likes Heyi.” Lizzy corrected.

“Heyi doesn’t like Kris, I’m sure.” Tao teased.

“Yeah.” Heyi smiled sweetly at Suho. “Suho’s the hottest guy for me.”

Suho sweetly smiled at her.

Gross!

“How come we didn’t know about Chen and Seohyun?” Kyungsoo still hadn’t gotten over that topic.

“Because you never hang around with us anymore.” Baekhyun said bluntly.

Yikes! Awkward…

I cleared my throat. “Uh… Baekhyun and I have to go…”

“Hi, Miss Kim Taeyeon.” Someone from behind me said.

I turned around and nearly fainted at the smell of strong body cologne. Kris Wu was standing tall in front of me, looking hot, clean, and gorgeous all at once and he was holding a bouquet of flowers!

I was speechless. I became vaguely aware of my surroundings.

Moments later, Jessica and Seohyun appeared beside me. I just hoped they were not behind all of these.

 

(Seohyun’s POV)

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Baekhyun and Taeyeon talking to Suho’s new group. I haven’t noticed them go. I was making a mental note to confront them about this later when I saw Kris Wu approaching Taeyeon with a bouquet of flowers. Without further ado, Jessica and I raced across the canteen to where Taeyeon was standing.

 

(Baekhyun’s POV)

“Hi, Kris Wu! Those flowers are gorgeous!” Jessica’s smile was so wide that her face almost spit in two.

“Uh… well, thank you.” Kris smiled and glanced at Taeyeon.

Seohyun moved closer to me. She frowned at Kris Wu. He still had his hand outstretched, handing the flowers to Taeyeon. Taeyeon stood there motionless.

“This can’t be! Kris Wu? No way! Do something!” Seohyun furiously muttered to me.

I gaped at Seohyun.

What does she expect me to do?

“Taeyeon, Kris is waiting.” Jessica whispered.

Every soul present in the canteen was watching Kris Wu and Kim Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon?” Luhan shook her shoulders.

“Taeyeon!” Chen cried.

Taeyeon jumped from surprise.

“Take the flowers!” Jessica commanded through clenched teeth.

Taeyeon did as she was told.

“Is she a robot?” Seohyun grumbled; only I heard her.

“I thought you said Kris likes Heyi?” I asked Lizzy with a smirk.

“Were you making things up?” Kyungsoo asked Lizzy. “It looks like Kris likes Taeyeon.”

Lizzy’s face was flustered from humiliation.

“I don’t like Taeyeon…” Kris said.

It was Taeyeon’s turn to turn bright red from embarrassment.

“How dare this bastard make fun of Taeyeon?!” Seohyun furiously whispered to me.

Don’t ask me! Ask Kris Wu! Aish! Seriously! What’s wrong with Seohyun?

“It’s my friend, Park Chanyeol, who likes Taeyeon.” Kris continued.

“S-see!” Lizzy defended herself. “I’m sure I saw Kris sneaking glances at Heyi during class hours.”

“I don’t like Heyi, either.” Kris sneered at Lizzy. “I agreed to help Chanyeol with Taeyeon, so I could get closer to the one I truly like while doing that.” Ivan said, staring at me.

What’s his problem? Is he gay? Why is he staring at me?… wait a minute…

I looked at Seohyun who was still frowning beside me.

Does Kris Wu like my cousin?

“So!” Kris snapped. “I’d better be going, fellas. We’re making a big scene here. Everyone’s watching.”

He winked at Seohyun before leaving.

Seohyun’s brows met in confusion.

“I’m gonna kill that jerk!” Seohyun declared irritatedly.

Before Kris could walk away from us, I called his name loudly.

“Kris Wu!” I yelled.

He turned back to me.

“I don’t like you for my cousin. If that’s your purpose in helping Chanyeol with Taeyeon, you better stop now. I’m not letting you near my cousin.” I said.

I grabbed Seohyun’s wrist and walked away, dragging her with me.

Our other friends followed.

I’m not sure if I really did that for Seohyun or for myself.