Chapter 15

Hidden Destiny

Chapter Fifteen

(Seohyun’s POV)

“Hey, girls! I brought snacks!” Hyoyeon said as she entered my room with a tray of food.

“Wow! Siomai!” Jessica exclaimed.

“I want chicken!” I complained.

“I know. That’s why I brought chicken siomai. And I knew you like red iced tea, so I brought that, too.”

“Unnie! You’re the best!” I gave her a thumbs up.

Hyoyeon sat down on the floor next to us.

“How’s it going?” She asked Taeyeon.

“Still confused.” Taeyeon replied.

It’s been two weeks since I accidentally pushed Chorong into the pool. During those weeks, Taeyeon had been mentally bothered by her suitors: Chanyeol, Suho, Baekhyun, and even Kyungsoo.

Actually, Baekhyun’s not letting her know about his real feelings. Only Hyoyeon, Chen and I knew. Suho, on the other hand, was still unforgiven. So, we were left between Chanyeol and Kyungsoo.

“Taeyeon, let me tell you: no matter what happens, even when the sky is falling down, you will have to choose among those boys.” Jessica said.

“That’s not true!” I contradicted. “What if your real destiny has not still revealed himself to you…”

I meant Baekhyun, of course.

“You have a point, Seohyun.” Jessica nodded. “Suho, for example, is still too scared to come near Taeyeon.”

Aish! I really can’t add Baekhyun in the conversation…

I remembered Suho. He also asked my help.

Suho. But what about Baekhyun? Suho… or Baekhyun?... Baekhyun? Suho? Aish!

Baekhyun hadn’t asked my help, anyway. He’s still in denial. So, it’s just fair if I still help Suho. I’ll just convince Taeyeon to talk to him and still vote for Baekhyun. Yes! That’s what I’m gonna do…

“Taeyeon, why don’t you try to talk to Suho?” I suggested.

I saw Hyoyeon raising an eyebrow at me. I imagined her saying “What are you doing? We’re supposed to be on Baekhyun’s side!” But, I ignored her.

“Don’t try to make me talk to him. You’re wasting your effort.” Taeyeon replied.

That night, before Taeyeon and Jessica left our house, I secretly told Jessica our plan for the next day.

 

(Taeyeon’s POV)

Early morning, Jessica and Seohyun dragged me to the park. I didn’t understand why they wanted to go there than at the mall. I pondered on this and only got the answer when we reached the park.

“Suho! Tao! What a coincidence! You’re here, too!” Jessica gasped dramatically.

“Hi, Suho! Hi, Tao!” Seohyun winked at them.

Seohyun held on to my hand. She was actually gripping it, afraid that I might run away.

“I don’t think I have a place here.” I muttered as I tried to free my hand from Seohyun.

“Oh, yes, you do! Let’s talk!” Jessica said as she sat down on the nearest bench.

Suho and Tao sat next to her.

“Don’t you want to sit?” Tao asked me.

I glared at him.

“Err… we’ll just stand. This is good for the bones.” Seohyun cheerfully said.

“Taeyeon, would you have lunch with me? I just want to talk to you.” Suho told me.

“All these years, I have been dreaming that you would ask me to lunch. Now that you finally did, my wish had already expired. I’m not interested.” I frankly told him.

“Taeyeon! Don’t be too harsh.” Seohyun nudged me.

“You should have told that to him before, when I was the one running after him to apologize!” I snapped at her.

I used all my energy to free myself from her and ran away.

“Taeyeon!” Jessica called after me.

I could hear them running after me.

“Don’t cross the road!” Seohyun tried to stop me when we reached the road.

“Taeyeon! Don’t move! Don’t cross the road!” Seohyun yelled.

“Leave me alone!” I screamed at them and crossed to the other side of the road.

I had reached the other side when Jessica screamed.

“SEOHYUN! STOP!!!” She screamed.

I heard tyres screeching.

I turned around and saw Suho pulling Jessica before a passing car could hit her.

I sighed but was not relieved for too long because I saw Tao running past Suho and Jessica. Then, I saw Seohyun lying on the road, with her face and hair covered with blood. She looked dizzy but managed to catch my gaze. Tao lifted her head and rested it on his shoulders. She held my gaze and I saw her mouthing my name before her eyes rolled back and her eyelids closed.

My knees gave way and I sat on the ground, not knowing what to do. Suho and Tao carried her to the car which had hit her. Jessica, who was already crying, climbed in the car, and they drove off.

Suho was left behind. He helped me stand up.

“We’ll follow them to the hospital. I’ll call Baekhyun.” Suho told me.

I wasn’t able to reply.

“Seohyun…” I whispered softly.

 

“Where is she?” I asked Tao and Jessica as I arrived at the hospital with Suho.

Jessica’s and Tao’s clothes were stained with Seohyun’s blood. Tao’s shirt was the most stained. Jessica was still crying.

“Operating room. She bumped her head on the cemented road. Her injury was serious.” Tao told us.

“It’s my fault! This is all my fault!” I blamed myself.

I started to cry. Jessica hugged me.

“Taeyeon! Taeyeon!” Baekhyun came running to us.

Hyoyeon was with him.

“Baekhyun!” I run to him.

He hugged me tightly.

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault! I’m sorry.” I wailed.

“It’s not your fault. Nobody wanted this.” Baekhyun comforted me.

“Did you know that Seohyun lost a younger brother?” Hyoyeon asked softly.

We all stared at her.

“She has a brother? I thought she’s an only child.” Tao asked.

“That’s because her brother died when Seohyun was five. A car hit him while he and Seohyun where crossing the road. He passed away on that road while Seohyun cried over him.” Baekhyun recounted.

“That’s why she never crossed a road alone.” Hyoyeon sniffed.

There was silence.

“Who did this to her?! I want to talk to the driver!” Chen shattered the serenity as he arrived.

He arrived with Kyungsoo.

“I’m sorry, sir. I didn’t see her…” The driver tried to explain.

Chen didn’t let him finish. He grabbed the driver’s collar with his left hand and raised his right fist, ready to punch his target.

Tao and Suho quickly grabbed Chen and restrained him.

“Chen! It’s not the driver’s fault. Seohyun crossed the road suddenly. She tried to follow me. It was my fault.” I quietly said, my head bowed down.

“H-how is she?” We heard a voice ask.

We were all surprised to see that it was Luhan. Lay was with him.

Chen, who wasn’t calmed yet, charged towards Luhan. Nobody was fast enough to stop him. His fist landed on Luhan’s nose.

“Chen!” Baekhyun cried, grabbing his friend.

Lay helped Luhan who fell on the floor stand up. He wiped his bleeding nose.

“How dare you show your face here!” Chen shouted at Luhan.

I was gobsmacked. That was the first time I ever saw Chen mad.

“You gave her a hard time! She kept running after you, pleading for you to listen. You ignored her all this time! You have no right to show yourself here!” Chen yelled at him.

“That’s why I’m sorry.” Luhan said, tears staining his face. “I’m sorry I didn’t listen to her. I regret everything now.”

“I regret everything, too.” I muttered.

Everybody’s eyes were on me. I looked at Suho.

“I should’ve listened to her. I should’ve just talked to you when she asked me to. This wouldn’t have happened if I didn’t run away. I’m sorry…”

Suho moved closer to me and, for the first time, gave me a hug.

 

Suho and I went to the hospital together when school was over.

We saw Chen sitting on the bench outside Seohyun’s room.

“Hey, Chen!” I greeted him as I sat down beside him.

Suho remained standing.

“Baekhyun’s inside.” Chen gestured inside the room.

“How’s Baekhyun feeling?” Suho asked.

“To be honest, he’s not fine. When we arrived here, Hyoyeon-noona was crying. He comforted her until she left for work. I gave him a little privacy and went to buy food. When I came back, I saw him crying so I just stayed here to wait.” Chen narrated.

I stood up and went to the door. I knocked.

“Come in.” Baekhyun called from inside.

I went in.

“Hi, Baekhyun.” I greeted him.

“Hey.” He replied.

He looked pale and gloomy.

I sat down beside him and hugged him.

“You don't look good.” I said.

“I’m worried about Seohyun.” Baekhyun answered.

“I know.”

“Ever since her brother died in the accident, I already took his place. I loved her like a sister. I promised her brother that I will take care of her. I feel miserable because I wasn’t able to protect her like I promised.” Baekhyun sobbed.

I felt hot tears running down my cheek.

I ran my eyes across the room to calm myself. When my eyesight reached the doorway, I saw Chen quickly wiping his eyes dry and Suho blinking rapidly to hold back tears. I realized that they had been watching us silently.

“Baekhyun, why don’t you eat with Suho and Chen? I’ll take your place here.” I told Baekhyun.

“I’m fine. I’d rather stay here.” Baekhyun refused.

“Come on, Baekhyun.” Chen insisted.

“I’ll keep Taeyeon company.” Suho volunteered.

Baekhyun and I stared at each other.

“We’ll be back.” He said after a while and left with Chen.

“Why don’t you tell me what you really feel about me.” I told Suho once the two boys left.

“The same way you felt for me for so many years.” He replied.

“What exactly?”

Sighing, he looked at me straight in the eyes.

“I’m in love with you.” He admitted.

I was taken aback.

“Wh-what?” I asked.

“When you first felt that you like me, I felt the same way but I tried to hide it.”

 

-Flashback-

(Suho’s POV)

“Was the rumor I heard true?” My mom asked me first thing in the morning as I went down for breakfast.

I bent over and kissed her before I replied.

“What rumor?”

“That you are planning to court Landon Kim’s daughter.” She was obviously mad.

“I don’t see anything wrong with that. Taeyeon and I are at the right age. We’re finishing high school and I’ve been secretly liking her since elementary.”

“You listen to me, young boy. You may court any girl you want as long as she’s not Landon Kim’s child.”

“What’s wrong with Mr. Kim?”

“Nothing’s wrong with him, but his wife’s anything but right! She was your dad’s former girlfriend. Your dad was supposed to marry her when he met me. She tried to destroy our wedding. Until now, she’s still running after your dad. I caught them at a hotel once. You were just six, then.”

A strange scene suddenly came to my mind.

“Was she the woman you fought with at a hotel? The reason why we were both dragged out?”

“Yes, she was.”

After that, I tried to forget Taeyeon. It was not easy. Nothing had been easy ever since. Things got worse when Taeyeon confessed her feelings to me and when we both studied in the same university for college. I tried to befriend her so that my feelings would be replaced by friendship. It didn’t work. I tried getting mad at her but it only caused me pain as I saw her with other guys; and I nearly died seeing her mad at me. I finally decided to stop resisting and followed my heart. I stopped listening to my mom. I fell deeper in love with Taeyeon.

-End of flashback-