Chapter 12

Hidden Destiny

Chapter Twelve

(Seohyun’s POV)

“Are you sure Chorong’s having her date here?” I asked Luhan.

We were sitting on one of the tables situated near the pool at a resort.

“Positive.” He replied, sipping his juice.

Bored, I looked around the pool.

Aish! This is so lame! I can’t see any cute guy!

Luhan settled his glass down on the table and stared at me. I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Anything wrong?” He asked me.

“Everything’s wrong!” I snapped.

“Aren’t you enjoying?”

“Enjoying?! Are you kidding? Look!” I gestured my arms at the people. “Point a single cute hottie. Do you see even just a single one?”

“Pabo,” he sighed. “look at me.”

I did and glared at him.

“Now, you’re glaring at the cutest hottie.” He smiled.

I chuckled.

“You may be right. But you already like someone else.” I said.

Oops! I didn’t just say that aloud!

“Hah! I knew it! I knew you have a crush on me that’s why you agreed to pretend to be my girlfriend.” He smirked.

I opened my mouth to protest, but I couldn’t find the right argument; so I stood up and began to walk away, instead.

“Paboya! I was just joking!” Luhan said, grabbing my wrist and pulling me back.

I yelped as I tripped on my own foot and landed on Luhan’s lap. My heartbeat was suddenly pounding so fast. Our faces were so close. I couldn’t hear or see anything except Luhan and his arms wrapped around me.

Eeeww… I’m over reacting… but, hey… was he right? Did I really want to pretend to be his girlfriend because I actually liked him?

Before I could think of an answer, I felt hands grabbing me from Luhan’s embrace and a loud slap landed on my face. My cheek stung.

“Chorong! What are you doing?” Luhan stood up and blocked me from Chorong.

“You don’t love her, Luhan! I know everything! I know you did this to make me jealous! Lizzy told me everything! And I know something you don’t-”

“Liar!” I shrieked at Chorong, cutting her off.

“Ssshhh…” Luhan calmed me. “I’ll take care of this.”

“Chorong, you don’t know anything.” Luhan began. “Whatever Lizzy told you, it’s a lie.”

“No! I know you’re just pretending! And don’t you want to know why she agreed to help you?” Chorong wailed.

“How dare you!” I yelled at her.

“Shut up!” She yelled back.

“What do you know?” Luhan asked her quietly.

“Luhan, don’t listen to her.” I told Luhan.

He raised his hand to silence me.

“What do you know?” He repeated to Chorong.

“Seohyun is using you to get back at me. She knew I’d be shattered if she stole you from me. She doesn’t care about you!” Chorong clung to him.

Pathetic!

Luhan looked at me. His expression showed pain and fury.

“Luhan… I could explain…” I stuttered.

“Why?” He demanded coldly.

Aish! Why is he mad?! We’re just fair…

“This is not fair! You can’t be mad! You’re just using me, too!” I exploded.

“It’s not the same!” He yelled. “You let me use you! While I didn’t even know you were also just using me, just when I thought… when I thought you…”

When you thought I like you, too? When you thought you and I could get serious?

Luhan didn’t finish his statement. He glared at me and walked away.

“Luhan!” I attempted to follow him but Chorong pulled me back.

“Don’t ever show your face to him again!” Chorong told me, leaving me with the people staring and whispering curiously.

 

(Taeyeon’s POV)

I was a little surprised when Park Chanyeol dragged me to a resort for a date.

“I heard many things about you in school.” Chanyeol said as we watched the people swimming in the pool.

“I also heard many things about you in school.” I said.

He laughed. “Do you know that many boys are head-over-heels in love with you?”

I laughed. “Look who’s talking.”

Spending time with Chanyeol, I realized that he was softer inside. He may look cool and arrogant from the outside; but, deep within, he was a guy of good values and good sense of humor.

“Thank you for allowing me to date you.” He said.

“Don’t mention it. You looked so pitiful that’s why I showed a little mercy.” I joked.

We both laughed.

“Chanyeol.” A woman called him.

We both turned and saw a woman, probably in her mid-50’s, approaching us. Chanyeol stood up when he saw her.

“Mom! What are you doing here?” He looked shocked.

“Kris told me I’ll fnd you here.” She replied as she studied me.

I felt conscious.

“So you found me. What do you want?” Chanyeol asked her.

“Let’s talk.” She said and walked away.

Chanyeol excused himself. I nodded. Once they left, I decided to go to the bathroom.

“Mom! You can’t dictate my life!” I heard someone saying as I was passing on my way to the comfort room.

Hold on. Isn’t that Chanyeol’s voice?

I hid behind a post.

“Yes, I can! I don’t want to see you dating other girls! I already arranged your engagement with Sandara Park. Better tell that girl with you to back off-”

“I’m sorry, mom! But I like that girl. I don’t care if you get mad at me.” Chanyeol said and left his mom.

I didn’t really like Chanyeol but I felt offended by his mom’s words. It’s not like I was running after her son. I was just convinced by Taeyeon to date him.

I waited for a few minutes before going back to our table.

“I thought you already left.” He said as I sat down.

“I went to the comfort room.” I replied.

“Is it alright if I court you?” He bluntly asked me.

“That’s your choice.” I shrugged.

“Do I have a chance?” He asked.

I thought about what his mom said.

It’s better if I honestly tell him that I don’t like him.

“Chanyeol, I’m not sure-” I began.

“Is it because of him? Do you love him already?” He cut me off.

Him? Who’s that?

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I honestly told him.

“Don’t worry, Taeyeon.” He sighed. “I won’t force you. I just want you to know that if you ever change your mind, I’ll be waiting for you.”

“Chanyeol, I really don’t-”

“I won’t interfere as long as Baekhyun Cho doesn’t hurt you. If he does, I’ll take you from him.”

Baekhyun?! Oh, whatever! He could think whatever he likes.

I didn’t correct him anymore. It’s better this way. I didn’t want to be the reason for him to make his mom mad.

But why do I suddenly feel weird when he mentioned Baekhyun’s name? Why do I suddenly feel light-headed at the thought of Baekhyun’s thin lips and gorgeous eyes when he smiles? Why do I suddenly long for his laughter? Why do I suddenly miss him?

“Isn’t that Seohyun and Luhan?” Chanyeol was asking.

Hold on… I can’t focus on Chanyeol. What’s he saying? Something about Seohyun and Luhan? Ugh! Never mind…

“Liar!”

I broke off from my trance as I heard a familiar voice shrieking loudly that the whole Korea must have heard.

I saw Luhan calming Seohyun and saying something to Chorong.

Chorong? What is Chorong doing here? And why does she look pathetic?

Seohyun was shrieking again. Chorong shouted back at her. Luhan silenced them and listened to what Chorong was saying, which must not be good because Luhan’s expression suddenly darkened. He exchanged some words with Seohyun and left. Seohyun tried to follow him but Chorong stopped her. Then, Seohyun was left alone with the people watching her. I was far from where she stood but I knew that she was about to cry.

Without much ado, I raced towards her. As I was passing by the pool, I slid on the wet floor. Chanyeol caught me by the waist and dragged me towards Seohyun. When we reached Seohyun, her tears spilled. I hugged her.

“I didn’t mean it. I didn’t mean to hurt him.” She sniffed.

“Let’s talk about this somewhere else.”

 

“OMO! You like him already!” I exclaimed upon hearing Seohyun’s story.

“I’m sorry for ruining your date, Taeyeon.” She apologized.

I almost forgot about Chanyeol because of Seohyun’s story. I quickly ended our date when we found Seohyun crying. Chanyeol dropped us at Seohyun’s house. Baekhyun had asked him to come in but he refused.

“Don’t be sorry. I’m actually thankful.” I told her.

“So, your date had not gone well?” Baekhyun asked.

You’re actually the one who ruined it because you were in my mind when I was with him…

“Taeyeon? Was it that bad?” Baekhyun asked me again when I fell silent.

“Uhm… no. I mean, yes. But it’s not a big deal for me. I don’t really like him. He’s nice, though.” I said.

No one reacted. Seohyun fell silent again. I’m not used to her being quiet.

Baekhyun and I exchanged meaningful glances.

“I’ll go and prepare something to eat.” Baekhyun excused himself.

He went to the kitchen.

“You can talk to me, Seohyun. Don’t keep it all to yourself.” I said after a while.

“I want to be alone. Why don’t you help Baekhyun?” She told me.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

She nodded.

“You’ll be fine?”

She nodded again.

I was left with no choice but to follow Baekhyun to the kitchen.

“Seohyun wants some time to herself.” I told Baekhyun as I entered the kitchen.

Baekhyun turned to me. He was wearing a pink apron and he looked really cute.

“Taeyeon?” He asked me, looking concerned.

I shook my head to focus. I guess I stared at him too much.

“Uh… what are you cooking?” I asked, instead.

“Eggs.” Baekhyun answered.

I watched in daze as he began to crack two eggs simultaneously.

Eggs. There’s something wrong with eggs.

“No!” I grabbed both of Baekhyun’s wrists.

Luckily, he got a good grip on the eggs or those two dudes might have ended up on the floor.

“No, not eggs.” I gasped.

He blinked once and his expression cleared.

“I almost forgot Seohyun hated eggs. I’m not in my right mind tonight.” He said.

We stared at each other and then down at my hands holding his wrists.

I awkwardly released him.

“Sorry, I surprised you.” I apologized.

“No, I’m sorry I forgot.”

“I actually almost forgot, too.” I admitted.

“This is the first time I ever saw Seohyun like that. She must have seriously been hurt.” Baekhyun opened up.

“You love her so much, don’t you?” I asked him.

“Of course! She’s my closest cousin.” He shrugged as he opened the refrigerator and put back the eggs.

He opened the freezer and took out a bag of chicken meat.

“Let’s cook fried chicken, instead. That’s her favorite.” He told me.

Knowing that, I nodded.

He opened the cabinet and pulled out a pack of chicken breading.

We cooked in silence.

As I dropped a chicken leg on the frying pan, the cooking oil splattered on my hand.

“Argh!” I frantically blew on my burnt hand.

Baekhyun dragged me to the faucet and drenched my injured hand. He handed me a clean towel to wipe my hand dry as he got a bottle of toothpaste from the cabinet. He applied some on the burn.

“How does it feel now?” He asked as he blew on it.

“Better.” I said.

We sat there for a while without talking. He blew on my burnt hand while I stared on his face.

“Look, I’m sorry I’m being such a nuisance to everybody right now; but I thought you’re gonna make us dinner?” Seohyun’s voice echoed in the kitchen, making Baekhyun and I jump in surprise.

She was leaning on the doorway, watching us with a little smirk; but her eyes cannot hide the pain.

“You’re not a nuisance to anyone.” Baekhyun said. “The fried chicken’s done. I’ll go fetch some chocolates in the fridge. They’ll make you feel better.”

We finally settled down to eat. Baekhyun and I sat together while Seohyun sat opposite us.

I watched as Seohyun ate her food. I can still feel her sadness and pain, although she already looked contented with the chicken and chocolates surrounding her.

“Don’t wait for me to eat those.” Seohyun gestured at my own plate of fried chicken and chocolate.

“No, I won’t.” I smiled at her as I took a bite of fried chicken.